User Tag List

Page 587 of 729 FirstFirst ... 87487537577585586587588589597637687 ... LastLast
Results 5,861 to 5,870 of 7281

Thread: The Rant Thread

ggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Array Anaximander's Avatar
    MBTI
    mkgr

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I just came back from a screening. Nothing in that movie was a surprise. And I can probably predict what is going to happen in the upcoming films too.
    It was still plenty of fun. The film was more of a cirque du soleil performance than a narrative. The story takes a back seat to the theatrics.
    All the existing films are predictable and follow some classic hero's journey tropes, so I'm not expecting any ridiculous twists. I'm perfectly fine with that. The whole brother-sister "surprise" from Jedi was very predictable. These films drop clues on our heads like pianos.

Quote Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
    All the existing films are predictable and follow some classic hero's journey tropes, so I'm not expecting any ridiculous twists. I'm perfectly fine with that. The whole brother-sister "surprise" from Jedi was very predictable. These films drop clues on our heads like pianos.
    In fairness Empire Strikes Back was the Game of Thrones of its day for the sudden reversal of fortune of the protagonists and heroes and at the time it was released they werent sure what Return of The Jedi would entail, sure there was a long, long tradition of film making, particularly black and white movies which dealt with more complex or serious themes or narration or "authorship" but this was big screen stuff for the mass audience.

I dont think anyone remembers what big screen releases used to be like, you'd get a build up for most of the year, then the release, then the hype didnt cease for perhaps the rest of the year or longer, the last film I can remember like it was the Batman movie by Tim Burton, the original, before it was released there were production TV shows, sticker books, teasers (which some people would call spoilers) in the press, magazines, on TV again, then the movie was out, it reception was headline news even, then there were books, magazines, NES games, arguably the original animated TV series in which Mark Hamill was the Joker owes its creation to that movie, certainly most of its style.

Star Wars was like that too, with the whole merchandising revolution, then waves and waves of TV animated shows, like Droids and Ewoks, which are kind of overlooked and unremembered.

ggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Array Anaximander's Avatar
    MBTI
    mkgr

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    In fairness Empire Strikes Back was the Game of Thrones of its day for the sudden reversal of fortune of the protagonists and heroes and at the time it was released they werent sure what Return of The Jedi would entail, sure there was a long, long tradition of film making, particularly black and white movies which dealt with more complex or serious themes or narration or "authorship" but this was big screen stuff for the mass audience.

I dont think anyone remembers what big screen releases used to be like, you'd get a build up for most of the year, then the release, then the hype didnt cease for perhaps the rest of the year or longer, the last film I can remember like it was the Batman movie by Tim Burton, the original, before it was released there were production TV shows, sticker books, teasers (which some people would call spoilers) in the press, magazines, on TV again, then the movie was out, it reception was headline news even, then there were books, magazines, NES games, arguably the original animated TV series in which Mark Hamill was the Joker owes its creation to that movie, certainly most of its style.

Star Wars was like that too, with the whole merchandising revolution, then waves and waves of TV animated shows, like Droids and Ewoks, which are kind of overlooked and unremembered.
    I think it's more accelerated now, perhaps due to the nature of social media and the internet in general and also the fact that film and TV is now saturated with superheroes, fantasy and sci-fi, whereas 20 to 30 years ago we might see one or two major, big budget superhero/fantasy films every 1-2 years (and a lot of second-rate b-movie knockoffs), rather than what seems like 10-20 major superhero/fantasy films a year at present. We still get the long build-up, but once something's released, it seems like people are already moving on to the next one. There's no breathing room or time to soak up and appreciate something, nope, time to move on to hyping the next one. It's April 2016 and you're still analyzing and discussing The Force Awakens?

edit: (more of a sidenote) It occurred to me that the way music is released has changed conversely. It used to be standard for bands and musicians to release at least one album per year (often 2 a year, in the case of The Beatles), whereas now it's not uncommon to see bands releasing albums 3-5 years apart. Whereas Disney promises not only a new SW film from the new trilogy every 2 years, but spinoff films during the "inbetween years," whereas we had to wait 3 years between films in the original trilogy (not to mention 16 years between the original and prequel trilogies, yet this time we only had to wait 10 and a half years between trilogies).

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

He has to die. I mean...it's certain now, he has to fucking die.

I want him fucking gone!

I don't even want a memory

Just gone!

I'll use the intestines for a collage. The gums ill slowly melt down with a blowtorch, he'll be awake for that though. As much as is deserved.
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm
    Likes Hawthorne liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp

Mother is irritated by the lack of holiday spirit in the house. This happens every year and we tell her to put up a tree and play music if she wants, but instead she chooses to close herself up in the bedroom and cry. And since my father is an oblivious empathetic black hole, it always falls to me to play the mediator.

But I'm feeling just a little too numb for that right now. Don't have the energy to push this wheel through another cycle. It's just easier to stay out and away. Until nightfall, at least.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    Mother is irritated by the lack of holiday spirit in the house. This happens every year and we tell her to put up a tree and play music if she wants, but instead she chooses to close herself up in the bedroom and cry. And since my father is an oblivious empathetic black hole, it always falls to me to play the mediator.

But I'm feeling just a little too numb for that right now. Don't have the energy to push this wheel through another cycle. It's just easier to stay out and away. Until nightfall, at least.
    I don't mean to be insensitive, but this sounds exactly like the plot of a 2009 Star Trek fan fic about young Spock's home life as a human/vulcan hybrid.
    Likes Hawthorne, Bilateral Entry liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post
    I don't mean to be insensitive, but this sounds exactly like the plot of a 2009 Star Trek fan fic about young Spock's home life as a human/vulcan hybrid.
    lel. And now I really want to read this fanfic. Maybe it'll give me some insight.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

lel. And now I really want to read this fanfic. Maybe it'll give me some insight.
    Not sure the insight you're looking for is of the "sex fixes everything" variety typically found in fanfic.
    Likes Hawthorne, Bilateral Entry liked this post

hey ma! got a tatoo Array prplchknz's Avatar
    MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Cellmold View Post
    He has to die. I mean...it's certain now, he has to fucking die.

I want him fucking gone!

I don't even want a memory

Just gone!

I'll use the intestines for a collage. The gums ill slowly melt down with a blowtorch, he'll be awake for that though. As much as is deserved.
    who? and he will don't worry he will we all will
    by @magpie

Thief in the Night Array Bilateral Entry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx

Mother is irritated by the lack of holiday spirit in the house.
    Maybe by "spirit" she's hinting that she wants booze.
    Herpaderpderpderpderpderpderp
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!