User Tag List

First 61461511551559560561562563571611661 Last

Results 5,601 to 5,610 of 7874

Thread: The Rant Thread

  1. #5601
    The Senate Osprey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    8,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau
    What I'm saying is that while it might seem like "meth head ethics" don't exist in the more affluent parts of society, it's really that they're just less obvious. If they obviously acted like meth heads, they wouldn't be able to maintain their affluence. The mask in this case is kind of a coping mechanism, allowing them to be "functional".
    Yeah, they have to hide that part of themselves and appear respectable, or else they wouldn't get anywhere.


    Another point on morality..... if you knew that someone innocent was being accused of something or was being threatened by the authorities, is it immoral to lie to protect that person? My gut, my intuition tells me, no. I've found that I need to follow my own moral compass, which makes things tricky.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.

  2. #5602
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    Another point on morality..... if you knew that someone innocent was being accused of something or was being threatened by the authorities, is it immoral to lie to protect that person? My gut, my intuition tells me, no. I've found that I need to follow my own moral compass, which makes things tricky.
    It is indeed easy to confuse morality with legality, as most of the laws that people are familiar with are about enforcing social norms based on morality: don't kill, don't steal and so on.

    When morality and legality conflict, it has had some significant social consequences, e.g., Rosa Parks not moving to the back of the bus. But if you're going to stand up for morality over legality, then you also have to accept the legal consequences for doing so. That's the part of civil disobedience that most people forget.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

  3. #5603
    The Senate Osprey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    8,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    It is indeed easy to confuse morality with legality, as most of the laws that people are familiar with are about enforcing social norms based on morality: don't kill, don't steal and so on.

    When morality and legality conflict, it has had some significant social consequences, e.g., Rosa Parks not moving to the back of the bus. But if you're going to stand up for morality over legality, then you also have to accept the legal consequences for doing so. That's the part of civil disobedience that most people forget.
    True enough.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.

  4. #5604
    Saponi Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,828

    Default

    It's a disarming smile not a "I'm interested!" smile. Happens all the time...
    Likes five sounds liked this post

  5. #5605
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,557

    Default

    This Honey Walnut Shrimp recipe calls for 1 1/2 Tablespoons of condensed milk. What am I supposed to do with the rest of the can?
    "Do not attempt to count the number of moles on Morgan Freeman's face; it'll just frustrate you and distract from the film." me
    Likes Ivy, uumlau liked this post

  6. #5606
    .Dysfunction + Suffering. Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    6,293

    Default

    This is Rant #5606:
    Sun: ♈️ Moon: ♓️ Ascendant: ♒️
    obviously you're going to get nothing from reading this

  7. #5607
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    28,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    This is Rant #5606:
    damnit the hashtags need to quit highlighting cuz i clicked it hoping for a rant and i got nothing

    *yodelling* AAAaaaaAAaaiiiiiiayyyyyyyy


    by @agentwashington

  8. #5608
    across the universe Olm the Water King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    1,585

    Default

    I think too much. I even think too much about thinking too much.

  9. #5609
    inside the lines EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    17,934

    Default

    Actual quote from new roommate, at the end of a cooking related conversation: "I have a new title for you. You are the queen of baking and of leaving the lights on."

    Jesus Christ -- if you have an issue with my leaving the lights on, just bring it up like a grown-ass woman. You are literally ten years older than me and should be beyond that now.

    I'm mad at myself for not calling you on that, but I was honestly too surprised and confused to know how to react in the moment. But if something like this happens again, we're going to have a talk about honest roommate communication.

    I miss my "house family" -- my two former roommates, who were the absolute best. And now I'm rooming with someone who thinks passive-aggressive compliment-insults from out of nowhere are acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nørrsken impersonating EJCC
    It's strange. I keep banning morons, but they keep signing up? What is this?
    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Yamato Nadeshiko liked this post

  10. #5610
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Actual quote from new roommate, at the end of a cooking related conversation: "I have a new title for you. You are the queen of baking and of leaving the lights on."

    Jesus Christ -- if you have an issue with my leaving the lights on, just bring it up like a grown-ass woman. You are literally ten years older than me and should know better by now.

    I'm mad at myself for not calling you on that, but I was honestly too surprised and confused to know how to react in the moment. But if something like this happens again, we're going to have a talk about honest roommate communication.
    Haha, older doesn't mean wiser. 10 years means a decade more to perfect her avoidant conflict skills.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 01-09-2017, 03:18 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-12-2016, 12:43 PM
  3. The thread critic thread/The bumpin' threads thread
    By UniqueMixture in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2013, 04:23 AM
  4. The Introvert Rant Thread
    By Lightyear in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 02:05 PM
  5. Childfree: The Rational Spawn of a Rant Thread
    By Totenkindly in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 07-14-2007, 10:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts