Page 548 of 729 FirstFirst ... 48448498538546547548549550558598648 ... LastLast
Results 5,471 to 5,480 of 7286

Thread: The Rant Thread

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    This is why I don't watch TV. I'm house sitting for my neighbors, who have DirecTV, and despite having hundreds of channels, the only decent thing on is The Dark Knight, which I've already seen a gajillion times.

Also, remember when the Discovery Channel and the History Channel had educational material? Now Discovery only has shitty reality shows about truckers and moonshiners, and History has everything but history. You would never know that TLC used to stand for "The Learning Channel". I'm pretty sure watching that channel actually causes you to lose brain cells.

Network decay. Proof that people are getting dumber all the time.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

waiting for Winterman Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    Maya Rudolph is interesting. It turns out that she's married to one of my favorite directors.
    Winterman is coming through the forest down to his Chrimbus cave inside the woods. Now's the time to tell him everything you want inside your Chrimbus bush!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

EDIT: I really didn't think what I wrote was appropriate for a casual thread like this:

So here's a nice photo to look at.

Why you looking for a harmony?
    There is harmony in everything
    It's a butterfly who waits for wind
    To fly away

If you're looking for a dream girl
    I'll never be your dream girl
    Living in the real world
    Looking for a dream girl

Likes Cellmold liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

OK, I really hate Facebook posts like this:

Beauty Queen Walks Out In Nursing Scrubs—Then Looks Up And STUNS Everyone

Aside from being pure click-bait, they're unadulterated moral posturing, confusing sentimentality with morality.

Not to insult the contestant, who I am sure is a great nurse, and is as wonderful as all the other nurses I know in real life, this kind of post makes me think of this:
    https://instagram.com/p/6iOfepHjLD/?...socalitybarbie

Also in spoiler should the link above become problematic:

In context, yes, it was a wonderful thing to do, and quite clever as a contestant. Outside of that particular context, it just bleeds faux "authenticity", faux morality.

Seriously, I would love to do a satirical FB post, idolizing an ambulance chasing attorney for helping out poor victims of minor accidents. Of course, to really work, I'd have to sneak it onto a "respectable" site, like Upworthy ...
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

So.....the idea of me having autism got raised by my parents. Oh dear...this again.

I really don't think me being a bit socially awkward and a bit prone to outbursts under pressure warrants that diagnosis. For one I'd be a complete misrepresentation of people who really do have autism and for whom it is a daily struggle. Secondly I'm just neurotic and insecure and attempting to chip away at those insecurities, not someone having difficulties with a neurological disorder, or at least not that spectrum.

If I don't deal well with situations or criticism or etc...then that's on me and it's my responsibility to try and learn from it. Otherwise I'm just looking for an excuse.
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I wish George R.R. Martin had not killed off the Red Viper of Dorne. I would have liked to have seen him and Tyrion working together. At least the folks involved in the TV series included scenes between him and Varys. I just liked Oberyn's philosophy of children not being responsible for the sins of their fathers... it kind of helped me overlook his other flaws.
    Winterman is coming through the forest down to his Chrimbus cave inside the woods. Now's the time to tell him everything you want inside your Chrimbus bush!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

It's kind of a slap in the face to be the only person that defends someone, and they go on later to try and enact foolish revenge on you for some unspecified sin.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Why code reviews are necessary:

(I've blacked out the module names just to be safe w/r to privacy.)

simple_1.jpgcomplex.jpg

The first image is a rewrite of the second. The functionality is exactly the same except the code represented by the first image accomplishes the primary required task, and the code represented by the second image does not.

The person who wrote the code represented by the 2nd image was let go a week or so ago. I was tasked with finishing his project, only to discover he had done none of it, maybe spending one day on the critical piece, but never even attempting to call/run/test it. Instead, he had rewritten a prior piece of code that did the same thing, adding in all sorts of layers that served no purpose (in that they didn't separate code or concerns, but instead spread the same code and concerns through several modules). There are two dozen interfaces, each implemented only by a single object. Each object is shared throughout the code. There is a factory that is similarly shared throughout the code. All the database logic is a naive implementation of EntityFramework. Most of the database logic is completely unnecessary. The database logic can of course be called from any point of the program. There is a completely unnecessary web service (only one application calls it - the one I'm describing here. It is not shared).

It's as if the development environment were regarded as a box of Legos, and he had to use every single Lego in order to "do it right". There are a bunch of "design patterns", incorrectly implemented. Design patterns are ways of solving typical coding problems in a formal way that other developers can recognize. None of the patterns used solved a problem that would have existed for this application.

To put things in perspective, I had to code it again from scratch primarily because the code was unreadable. I could guess how it worked, because I knew what it had to do, but all the extra layers obscured the main flow of the program. I couldn't tell where in the code it was accomplishing the tasks I knew needed to be accomplished.

What did the code have to do? It had to read data from over HERE, send the data OVER THERE, and record the transaction in a database. Nothing else. We're not talking about an enterprise-level application that needs lots of modules, here.

Fortunately, I don't appear to have pulled all of my hair out.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

hey ma! got a tatoo Array prplchknz's Avatar
    MBTI
    yupp

i wish the landlord would replace the toilet that keeps breaking every other week despite my not taking huge dumps and only putting tp in it, but it breaks constantly. but i guess it's the only toilet in the unit.what happens is the flusher stops working (and its not the chain), and the tank won't fill all the way up and it runs non stop. they fixed it again today, and they fix it with in a day of putting in a maintence request that i think there is something legit wrong with it.
    by @magpie

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp

I am so. sick. Of studying plants.

Just looking at a pine cone makes my eyes water and I'm not even sure if it's rage or sorrow at this point. I don't know. I just don't know.