User Tag List

Page 164 of 728 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174214264664 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 7274

Thread: The Rant Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    That's why I said symbolic.
    I introduced consistency into the interpretation. If you insist on the apple being his penis, then the father is probably impotent, because he needs something separate from his body to penetrate his son's shell anus.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I introduced consistency to the interpretation. If you insist on the apple being his penis, then the father is probably impotent, because he needs something separate from his body to penetrate his son's shell anus.
    Wutt?

That doesn't seem to make sense. The apple in the back is representative of another object in another place which - in this situation - is to be taken as part of an unconscious wish to be dominated. That's the theory I mentioned as an anecdote.

To make it even clearer (short of making a flow chart )
    level 1: apple in back
    level 2: anal penetration
    level 3: father taking back his position of power and Gregor getting his desired punishment for being the bug of a son he thinks he is

If I remember the book correctly, the apple gets stuck in his back, not his anus. Therefor it shouldn't matter that the apple is not a penis, because the back isn't an anus either. Actually, I think that -for anatomical reasons - the father would have some trouble if he tried to actually get through the bug's shell. But he probably wouldn't want that because his bug-son disgusts him, which is kind of the point to begin with.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Wutt?

That doesn't seem to make sense. The apple in the back is representative of another object in another place which - in this situation - is to be taken as part of an unconscious wish to be dominated. That's the theory I mentioned as an anecdote.

To make it even clearer (short of making a flow chart )
    level 1: apple in back
    level 2: anal penetration
    level 3: father taking back his position of power and Gregor getting his desired punishment for being the bug of a son he thinks he is

If I remember the book correctly, the apple gets stuck in his back, not his anus. Therefor it shouldn't matter that the apple is not a penis, because the back isn't an anus either. Actually, I think that -for anatomical reasons - the father would have some trouble if he tried to actually get through the bug's shell. But he probably wouldn't want that because his bug-son disgusts him, which is kind of the point to begin with.
    The shell, as a part of Gregor's body, stands for his anus. The apple, which is not part of his father's body, is supposed to stand for his father's penis. There is inconsistency. Instead of his own penis (or his hand, his leg, a rolled-up newspaper), he uses an apple to penetrate his son's symbolic anus. Since the apple is distinct from his own body, it is most likely a symbolic dildo.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    The shell, as a part of Gregor's body, stands for his anus. The apple, which is not part of his father's body, is supposed to stand for his father's penis. There is inconsistency. Instead of his own penis (or his hand, his leg, a rolled-up newspaper), he uses an apple to penetrate his son's symbolic anus. Since the apple is distinct from his own body, it is most likely a symbolic dildo.
    Ahh, now I see what you mean. What would be the difference between an apple and a rolled-up newspaper though= Other than the suggestive shape of the newspaper? Oka, technically the newspaper would be a prolongation of his body and a substitute of a body part...but so is a dildo. He throws the apple instead of pressing it through the shell - is that the problem? Would it be better if he boxed the bug and broke the shell in the process? That would be body part on body part, but totally lacks all elegance. The apple is elegant and the idea that it is stuck there and slowly rots in his back seems like a very plastic depiction of how that rotten relationship is eating him up from inside. I always found it to be a very powerful imagery.

Or maybe we could come up with an alternative where something that is not part of the father's body penetrates something that is not Gregor's body...but then it would get increasingly harder to even make the connection ("oh, he moves a grandfather clock into Gregor's room, ho ho, I wonder what that could mean, wink wink") ...

So yes, if it really sticks out to you that (a part of) Gregor's body stands for (a part of) Gregor's body while the father uses a tool on the surface level, I can see how that could be perceived as lobsided.

PS: This conversation is getting weird
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

PS: This conversation is getting weird
    And much longer than necessary.

Ahh, now I see what you mean. What would be the difference between an apple and a rolled-up newspaper though= Other than the suggestive shape of the newspaper? Oka, technically the newspaper would be a prolongation of his body and a substitute of a body part...but so is a dildo. He throws the apple instead of pressing it through the shell - is that the problem?
    Indeed. The newspaper is disputable, though.

Would it be better if he boxed the bug and broke the shell in the process? That would be body part on body part, but totally lacks all elegance. The apple is elegant and the idea that it is stuck there and slowly rots in his back seems like a very plastic depiction of how that rotten relationship is eating him up from inside. I always found it to be a very powerful imagery.
    I very much like the apple thing; it is the dildo which I found lacking in elegance. But I do not believe it to be a symbolic penetration, so there is no apple dildo (or penis) for me anyway.

Or maybe we could come up with an alternative where something that is not part of the father's body penetrates something that is not Gregor's body...but then it would get increasingly harder to even make the connection ("oh, he moves a grandfather clock into Gregor's room, ho ho, I wonder what that could mean, wink wink") ...
    Stop Ne-ing! I am trying to finish this here.

So yes, if it really sticks out to you that (a part of) Gregor's body stands for (a part of) Gregor's body while the father uses a tool on the surface level, I can see how that could be perceived as lobsided.
    Wonderful.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

For the record: I mentioned that theory because I found it so laughable back then that I still remember it more than a decade later. So I'm not really invested in the theory, just interested in your structural criticism. And while I understand how that lobsidedness could bother you, it somehow doesn't bother me at all, because I just see one penetration supposedly standing for another and that is even and elegant. To me it makes no difference what is attached to whose body.

Stop Ne-ing! I am trying to finish this here.
    So you don't want to hear that other theory then about the framed picture of the lady in the fur coat that Gregor has hanging in his room, do you?

Okay then, I'll just shut up. If anybody's looking for me , I'll be moping in my room. Sniff!
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

For the record: I mentioned that theory because I found it so laughable back then that I still remember it more than a decade later.
    I got that part.

So I'm not really invested in the theory, just interested in your structural criticism. And while I understand how that lobsidedness could bother you, it somehow doesn't bother me at all, because I just see one penetration supposedly standing for another and that is even and elegant. To me it makes no difference what is attached to whose body.
    That is interesting. I will reflect on it in my blog.

So you don't want to hear that other theory then about the framed picture of the lady in the fur coat that Gregor has hanging in his room, do you?
    I am happy to read about it in your blog.

Okay then, I'll just shut up. If anybody's looking for me , I'll be moping in my room. Sniff!
    Should I send for Victor?

Insert witty line here... Array Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I'm glad to have a job but these people I work with now are the most idiotic, disorganized, lazy, self-congratulatory bunch of morons I have ever met! Seriously......They tell me to slow down and not work too hard! WTF??????
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII

The truth is that this house operates much better when you're not around.
    No screaming, no ranting, no threats, no negativity, no tension, no ridiculousness.
    Thank you for making my day exceptionally shitty with your presence.
    a little less conversation, a little more action please
    . captain's blog.

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Why does nothing good ever happen to me?