Page 145 of 728 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195245645 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 7275

Thread: The Rant Thread

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Oh my, I am so unmotivated to go to the gym!!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    ENTP

I realize a lot of people think racism is something that happened in our parents' day, and that it isn't around anymore. I realize that they think it's okay to joke about because it's clearly not a common issue. I now realize that most people at my college have apparently never left its bubble. No, racism isn't some sort of fucking joke. When my friend gently says that he finds your racist jokes distasteful, don't tell him that it's funny and he's just over sensitive. Just because our college fails at diversity doesn't mean that you can joke about it. If it failed at diversity less, you'd get a fist in the face, guaranteed. I'm pretty tempted regardless.

Mom, I'm sorry for ignoring your advice to go to a college with some diversity. I'm the token Jew in my dorm, and we don't even have a token black. Sometimes people make enough jew jokes that I go from not-really-amused-but-aware-that-you-think-you're-funny-and-aren't-trying-to-be-an-ass to rather uncomfortable and ready to torment you with the Holocaust stories I grew up with. I'm ready to explain to you that my family tree is missing huge chunks, where people disappeared. I want to tell you that my grandma was denied a college education, in the USA, because she was a poor Jew, and clearly all Jews are rich. Making jokes about money and jews is a bit walking the line, and most non-jews don't know where the line is quite well enough. Sure, you might see me making a joke about being a pinch-penny with my friends. That doesn't mean that you know how to do it without offense.

Don't think that you know what I feel. Call me overly-sensitive; you've never been told you're going to hell. You've never been called a bitch for not being submissive enough in the morning and a weak wimp for not being assertive enough in the afternoon, without any change of behavior. You think this stuff is the past, not the present, so it's fine to joke about. I don't see why dehumanization and pain is funny, but it's also not the past.

Maybe I even have different expectations for what is acceptable. Maybe I can make more Jew jokes than you without offense. You whine, "that's not fair". Suck it up: you've never been that one minority. Sure, my friend can make more Indian jokes than you can. You've never struggled with the confusion of being Indian in Minnesota. You don't know the experience, the subtleties of the situation. Guys, just because we aren't black doesn't mean that we cannot find slavery jokes distasteful. I'm more worried that you don't. Maybe it's that you haven't been at the end of it.

My tolerance for tasteless jokes has decreased since going to college. I don't know if it's because people are kind of accidentally or jokingly racist at me in ways that no one at my school would have ever dreamed of, or if I'm just sick of listening to everyone makes tasteless jokes about other races. If we were anywhere else, including at a college with a minority population, you'd not get away with this. Instead, you make those of us who find you a problem feel over sensitive. Fuck you.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

hey ma! got a tatoo Array prplchknz's Avatar
    MBTI
    yupp

my cramps are so bad i'm biting my lip from screaming
    by @magpie

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp

I'm an auto mechanic. The worst thing you can do as a customer is to try to hurry me up when I'm fixing your car. Do you really want me to rush and possibly miss something when I'm replacing your brakes or tires? Would you ever tell a doctor or surgeon to "Hurry up!"? I don't think so. Please allow us the time to fix your car correctly and safely.
    Smile! Now!

Some people are like Slinkys.
    Useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

We are the music makers,and we are the dreamers of the dreams.

End of line.

MBTI
    yupp

can you change my oil and fix my transmission it keeps getting stuck in gear?
    by @magpie

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp

With enough time and money I can fix anything.
    Smile! Now!

Some people are like Slinkys.
    Useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

We are the music makers,and we are the dreamers of the dreams.

End of line.

MBTI
    yupp

I love my car it's served me well it's an '01 silver acura integra and I'm gonna drive it til it won't go another cenimeter.
    by @magpie

MBTI
    ENTP

My boyfriend can go fuck a pitcher plant.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

Self sustaining supernova Array Zoom's Avatar
    Enneagram
    9w8

Four wisdom teeth out, and two end up with dry socket - and I don't smoke and am as healthy as a horse. Lots of poking around (:ouch: ) and two sets of medicated gauze dressings stuck in the bone sockets later, and they tell me there is nothing to be done but make me more comfortable as it heals.

Worst part: I'm not allowed to work out.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Hey you, yes you, the American tourist who just talked up the bus driver in English without asking if he even speaks the language.

I know you don't mean any harm but it is friggin annoying. Especially when you do it without even saying "hello" or "excuse me, let alone "could I ask you a question?" or "sorry to bother you, but are you from around here?" or using some other formula. Walking right up to people without even greeting them or smiling at them and directly asking them (in English!) "where is the castle?" is inpolite to say the least.

Yes, most people will speak at least some English and be able to answer your question and directly asking instead of saying hello or excuse me, etc. or please and thank you might safe you a second or two...but do you know what impression it leaves behind, how it makes you look?

It makes you look like a colonial overlord in some old Tarzan movie with Johnny Weissmuller talking to the native carriers!!!

That reminds me of this one American girl that approached me one night on the middle of the street, from behind, tipped me on my shoulder and said " 'Scuse me, ATM?" Just like that. How many Germans do you think even know what "ATM" stands for? Anyway, I told her the way to the next ATM machine and she left without saying Thank you.
    I should have done what a Spanish friend of mine did when an (also American) tourist approached him on the Plaza de Catalunya in Barcelona and barked at him: "Catalunya Square?"....he kindly smiled at him and pointed at some place somewhere in the distance.

Disclaimer: I know a lot of very kind and polite Americans who live here and get along just fine. Don't mistake this for an anti-American rant. It isn't. It is an anti-impolite-tourists-with-a-colonialist-attitude-thinking-they-own-the-friggin-place rant!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari