Page 118 of 728 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168218618 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 7272

Thread: The Rant Thread

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    xntj

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Yes, so how do you give it?

Two people can claim to love each other. They can feel love for each other. But outside of rather new technology that's starting to let us see these feelings manifest in brain activity, there's no actual observation of this love. There are only actions we (perhaps incorrectly) associate with love. So to my knowledge, the only way to give love in the sense we usually think of it, would fall into exchanges of material rewards.
    Do you mean like dopamine hits for when you experience personal satisfaction?

He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Do you mean like dopamine hits for when you experience personal satisfaction?
    The dopamine hit is essentially what we identify as an immaterial reward, even if (like all components of our psychology) it actually has a material, bio-chemical cause. The action that may cause that dopamine hit, however, like giving some kind of gift, or servicing the other person sexually, is typically understood as material.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    xntj

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The dopamine hit is essentially what we identify as an immaterial reward, even if (like all components of our psychology) it actually has a material, bio-chemical cause. The action that may cause that dopamine hit, however, like giving some kind of gift, or servicing the other person sexually, is typically understood as material.
    Magic, now you're reaching.

Let's look at it another way. Take love again. If you refuse to give love but give money instead, does this mean you're unselfish?

MBTI
    INTP

Is there even such a thing as an immaterial reward? It seems like an impossible contradiction.

He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Magic, now you're reaching.

Let's look at it another way. Take love again. If you refuse to give love but give money instead, does this mean you're unselfish?
    I don't think I understand the question. I can only take a blind swing at it.

If you are refusing to give something that has no material existence and as such cannot really be given, but are choosing to give something that materially exists and can be given, then you are being unselfish in strictly observable terms, or in other words, the only terms that economically matter.

As a side note, I shudder at the idea of love becoming something taken on by economists.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Is there even such a thing as an immaterial reward? It seems like an impossible contradiction.
    In a strictly scientific sense, no. But there is the distinction between a reward as the subjective experience, and a reward as a thing that triggers the subjective experience. The innate good and the instrumental good.

The distinction is important because I can lose what appears to be a piece of material wealth and still receive the so-called immaterial reward, the positive subjective experience, for losing it. This is what happens when a person feels good about being charitable.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

UGHHHHHHHHHH! Someone posted this on Facebook:

Et il est un jour arrivé
    Marteler le ciel
    Et marteler la mer

Et la mer avait embrassé moi
    Et la délivré moi de ma caille

Rien ne peut m'arrêter maintenant

And other people started going on about what a great poem/song it is that NIN wrote. Supposedly it's Creole French, and admittedly I don't speak Creole French, but to me it looks like this is the French of an American who doesn't speak French very well. "La délivré moi"? that makes no sense!!!!! And I Googled the song and it was accompanied by a supposed English "translation," but the translation didn't seem to say the same thing at all. The "literal" translation was closer, but the French grammar is still bad. If anyone knows French Creole and can correct me, great. But I think it's bad French, and it annoys the shit out of me!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Maybe? Maybe not. It could just be a pit stop to the material destination.
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."

hey ma! got a tatoo Array prplchknz's Avatar
    MBTI
    yupp

assuming a female is pregnant just because she's under the weather Is a sexist and a dick thing to ask. Having a stomach ache does not mean she's pregnant automatically. Even if you're joking, it's not funny it's annoying and you probably deserve to have your balls twisted off.
    by @magpie

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    it annoys the shit out of me!
    New world French?

MBTI
    INTP

MOTHERFUCK ANKLE KEEPS GETTING BIGGER AND BIGGER AND BIGGER

HEAL, YOU IDIOT

At least I learned not to run on an uneven surface for a prolonged period of time...