User Tag List

Page 116 of 729 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216616 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 7283

Thread: The Rant Thread

  1. #1151
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    xntj
    Posts
    7,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    But if one person isn't doing their best, the entire society suffers. This is unacceptable and immoral, and we should treat it as it is. Why would you propose that I not contribute? If I'm not working, the whole system isn't working. Specialization exacerbates this phenomenon, and we are a specialized society already. We may have a huge population, but everyone has specific tasks to do. You have probably experienced, in your life, a person who is not doing their job. These people are absolutely terrible. They are just as hated in a socialist society as they are in a capitalist society, and we know this. It isn't even something we should have to preach, it's simple.
    Would you work if you didn't have to?

  2. #1152
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    xntj
    Posts
    7,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Yes, I know I would.

    The bold part only tells me you probably aren't curious about how that might be possible.
    Are you Marm? This was directed at Marm, who I don't believe is terribly altruistic.

  3. #1153
    Peace on Earth, dammit Array Thalassa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Are you Marm? This was directed at Marm, who I don't believe is terribly altruistic.
    You don't think I'm altruistic? That's quite bizarre. You don't even know me. I consider myself to be an altruistic individual, to the contrary.

    At this point you're either trolling, drunk, or might benefit from a nice lie down or a visit to the therapist.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

    "In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2-3


    Fasting for Advent


    Give Vegan


    SEE-Fi /Gamma

  4. #1154
    He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    12,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Are you Marm? This was directed at Marm, who I don't believe is terribly altruistic.
    Oh, okay. So this is just a personal thing, then. Can I presume you believe that I am altruistic?
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  5. #1155
    Senior Member Array Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Would you work if you didn't have to?
    You couldn't have anything of value. Because I value so many things, I would have to. I can't not have to work. How would I feel accomplished? How would I achieve anything? You're asking me if I would do nothing, and I would say I can't do nothing. It's more work to not work, just ask any homeless person, or observe a person experiencing clinical depression. You can get so much more out of life with effort. I can't really imagine a scenario where not doing anything could be more constructive than doing something.

  6. #1156
    Peace on Earth, dammit Array Thalassa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Oh, okay. So this is just a personal thing, then. Can I presume you believe that I am altruistic?
    Well her personal attack is quite strange, seeing as that I merely approached her in my original post with a brief argument for rational social democracy, and if she responded with that...it's a little odd seeing as that although I'm not at all wealthy I donate to various charities (and churches in the past) and share whatever I have when I can, with no expectation of immediate "return" on what I give.

    I thought initially she was just saying that people in general would not do such a thing, which I thought was insanely irrational, but now that she indicates that it was personal, I think it's even more crazy.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

    "In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2-3


    Fasting for Advent


    Give Vegan


    SEE-Fi /Gamma

  7. #1157
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    xntj
    Posts
    7,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Oh, okay. So this is just a personal thing, then. Can I presume you believe that I am altruistic?
    I think you're more altruistic than Marm is but I don't believe you're altruistic in its purest sense. But then, who is?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    You couldn't have anything of value. Because I value so many things, I would have to. I can't not have to work. How would I feel accomplished? How would I achieve anything? You're asking me if I would do nothing, and I would say I can't do nothing. It's more work to not work, just ask any homeless person, or observe a person experiencing clinical depression. You can get so much more out of life with effort. I can't really imagine a scenario where not doing anything could be more constructive than doing something.
    Just answer the question straight. If you could live a reasonable lifestyle and didn't have to work to get it, would you work solely to benefit mankind?

  8. #1158
    Peace on Earth, dammit Array Thalassa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    I think you're more altruistic than Marm is but I don't believe you're altruistic in its purest sense. But then, who is?

    Just answer the question straight. If you could live a reasonable lifestyle and didn't have to work to get it, would you work solely to benefit mankind?
    For what basis do you make the argument that I am not altruistic?

    I think something may be wrong with you. I'm leaving this discussion before it degrades even further.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

    "In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2-3


    Fasting for Advent


    Give Vegan


    SEE-Fi /Gamma

  9. #1159
    Senior Member Array Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Just answer the question straight. If you could live a reasonable lifestyle and didn't have to work to get it, would you work solely to benefit mankind?
    Yes. Why wouldn't I? I'm sure it wouldn't be the only thing I would do, but you can't say that there isn't a huge amount of satisfaction to be had from helping someone (or in this case, a large number of people). I'm sure I would also work to benefit myself a great deal. I doubt that a comfortable lifestyle would leave me completely complacent and unwilling to do anything.

  10. #1160
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    xntj
    Posts
    7,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Yes. Why wouldn't I? I'm sure it wouldn't be the only thing I would do, but you can't say that there isn't a huge amount of satisfaction to be had from helping someone (or in this case, a large number of people). I'm sure I would also work to benefit myself a great deal. I doubt that a comfortable lifestyle would leave me completely complacent and unwilling to do anything.
    Is achieving personal satisfaction an act of altruism?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-12-2016, 12:43 PM
  2. Replies: 62
    Last Post: 02-20-2016, 03:44 PM
  3. The thread critic thread/The bumpin' threads thread
    By UniqueMixture in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2013, 04:23 AM
  4. The Introvert Rant Thread
    By Lightyear in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 02:05 PM
  5. Childfree: The Rational Spawn of a Rant Thread
    By Totenkindly in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 07-14-2007, 10:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO