User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

A little piece of port trivia; port is the best antidote for too spicy food (the kind that burns).

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

Oberon

Oh... serve it in sherry glasses or a small snifter, two ounces at a time. It's a dessert wine, and should be sipped. Serve no colder than just below room temperature.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I still prefer Madiera, the colonial era beverage of the American South, but good primer on Port there Oberon!

The added alcohol actually stops the fermentation process and allows for the alcohol to have a higher sugar content by killing the yeast that is turning the sugars into alcohol for some knowledge on the creation process of it- and sherry is the only common wine made from the Pedro Ximenez grape.

it also never ceases to remind me of the Poe story A Cask of Amontillado!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Oberon

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I still prefer Madiera, the colonial era beverage of the American South, but good primer on Port there Oberon!
    My knowledge of dessert wines is only an inch deep... I only know port. I can tell you nothing of sherry, madeira, or muscatel, except that muscatel is made from the muscat grape. I only know about port because I dearly love a glass of good port.

But thanks for the props.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Port is technically a fortified wine, which makes it sound unfortunately like Thunderbird. Regardless, port is more or less the sweet version of what Sherry is dry; it's a big red wine with a lot of added sugar, and fortified with an admixture of brandy. Typically it will be 18 or 20 percent alcohol.

Originally this preparation was created in order to make a wine that would survive in a cask for months while on a ship at sea, without the flavor any the worse for wear. The sugar covered up subtle nuances of flavor affected by shipping, and the alcohol killed any microbe that dared poke a pseudopod into the mixture. It was discovered, however, that like any good red wine port improves with age, developing complexity and depth.

Port comes in two varieties, blended and vintage. Vintage port is a matter of inquiry at wine shops, and is always made from a single wine stock. It is aged in the bottle, where it develops a characteristic "crust," and a full procedure has developed around the process of properly decanting a vintage port.

Blended ports, however, are more available to the mass market, and more user-friendly for the beginner. Though wine products labeled "port" are available starting at $5 per bottle, you would do best to buy your first bottle at ten to twenty dollars.

Look for brands like Sandeman's and Warre's. Warre's Warrior oporto is a very good place to start. Interestingly, the better blended ports generally are products of Portugal, but bear the names of English companies; this is historic, as the drink originated in the city of Oporto (hence the name), but was bottled and shipped by English companies during the height of the British Empire.
    Very interesting! Next time I am in the market for such, I will give it a try!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Oh... serve it in sherry glasses or a small snifter, two ounces at a time. It's a dessert wine, and should be sipped. Serve no colder than just below room temperature.
    Got it!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ah- if you know the formation process of port though, you know how all fortified dessert wines are made!

sherry tastes a bit too pruney for my tastes, but I sell some pretty expensive sherry sometimes

madiera tastes like pralines to me, so I adore it!

any wine questions ever can be answered in my blog since I have to know all of that for a living!

and mulled wine would be perfect to drink in that cabin scene!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ

Mulled wine. Isn't that what the Guardian Angel orders in Tony's Bar in "It's A Wonderful Life"?

MBTI
    INTJ

This is my dream house: