User Tag List

First 234

Thread: I'm Screwed! :(

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

you're brilliant! what paper are you working on now?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

amazingly, I do feel a lot better now that I gave up

by the way- points for all of you guys for listening!!!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    GONE

Hey whatever, not necessarily to 'give up' but do you have a counselor you can speak with? If you feel your dyslexia (btw, I only found this out indirectly through reading some else's comments to you) is causing you problems in the class and you need more time or you know, to read a semester's worth of material, I'm sure your college counseling services can help you.

I had a similar problem with an accounting class earlier this semester, then I realized I don't actually need the class. So I dropped it and took an incomplete grade. I can also take it again if I want to cover the grade. So if worse comes to worse, can you preempt drop the class for an incomplete grade and take again?

Also, high expectations without knowing what someone wants is sure for anxiety/writer's block. You know we were in the same boat (though dang, you sure got me beat in posts! ) and you know how I solved my problem?

I AIMED LOW!

HAHAAHAHA. No seriously, I just focused on writing whatever was easy and straightforward and followed the required writing guidelines (format, spacing, structure) and I'll live. It killed me at first and took a while to swallow because I wanted to do AWESOME and write the Next American Novel aka screenplay. But fug it. This is not The Paper that will determine your worth in the eyes of all your professors, peers, and yourself. It's one of MANY papers you have to write. Also, some teachers hype up their students and talk about expectations, but really, they will accept a human attempt. Meaning if you give it the good college try, spell check, and make sense you won't fail. Maybe you'll get a C. But you won't fail.

And as long as you are carrying your other classes, that shouldn't jeapordize any scholarships hopefully and it's rare a later employer or even grad school will care about 1 or 2 errant grades as long as your overall GPA, track record, and especially GPA in your major are high.

Don't you feel better now though?

It's so refreshing just to make peace with something and say, 'aw fug it'. It doesn't mean you purposely fail, you just refuse to stress out about it.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

thanks so much! I only wish that I was as bright as you and had dropped my class!

I do feel a bit better about the whole thing now though!

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I did- it was pretty straight forward to me, but he seems to think that there's some deeper meaning to FIFRA than what Congress stated. I just can't see it
    Okay, here's a theory for you:

This prof has an opinion on FIFRA. This prof will have some publications. Do an online search of abstracts and see if you can find anything he might have published on FIFRA.

Obtain those papers, if they exist, and read them. Then tell the prof what he wants to hear.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

his work is on federal preemption of state laws in relations to the commerce clause beleive me- the first thing I checked was what his writings were on!

our topic? find a matter of federal intragovernmental conflict arising from a constitutional issue, or federal/state interaction- of course my first 15 or so ideas were shot down as "looking at the wrong thing" !!!

Thank you guys so much though!!! I was just checking in before going and accepting my doom (and taking an exam in spanish lit as well, but I'm not really worried about that one!)

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Even if you stuff the class, it sounds like you're brilliant enough at everything else that you'll be fine!
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

thank you!!!

I actually learned the other day that he tends to fail over half of the class every semester anyways- and that he apparently is not fond of students who take the class but do not plan on going to law school

next semester? The Politics of Race, Class and Gender! exactly the type of class I love, and with an awesome professor I've had before!

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    our topic? find a matter of federal intragovernmental conflict arising from a constitutional issue, or federal/state interaction- of course my first 15 or so ideas were shot down as "looking at the wrong thing" !!!
    I suppose one of those was a paper on the impact of the SCOTUS interpretation of the 2nd Amendment in reviewing the case DC vs. Parker (nee Heller), due this spring?

The ramifications of the case are serious, as it will be the first substantial review of the 2nd since US vs. Miller in 1934. The Supremes have the opportunity as well to provide a ruling that harmonizes the disparate stances of the Fifth and Ninth Circuits, which have been problematic since the Fifth Circuit ruled in US vs. Emerson in 1999 that the Second Amendment protected an individual right to arms.

The SCOTUS ruling on DC vs. Parker, whichever way it goes, is likely to cause major changes in gun laws at the federal, state, and local level.