User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: I'm Screwed! :(

  1. #11
    Per Ardua Metamorphosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    being an idiot, I took this class for a challenge- it's in our Poli Sci department and it's filling in my last requirement in the department- I can take another poli sci class with a soc bent next semester to fill the same requirement if I need to fortunatly, I just don't like to fail at anything!
    That's fortunate. One of the advantages of going to a small school...as I do...is that if you miss a class you get to wait for two years for it to reappear.

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever
    and by the way- I would have happily written your paper for you if you'd given me a heads up about it! I LOVED poli sci stats!
    Damn...that makes one of us.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

    Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

  2. #12
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    That's fortunate. One of the advantages of going to a small school...as I do...is that if you miss a class you get to wait for two years for it to reappear.

    Damn...that makes one of us.
    stats and research methodology were so straighforward- I could actually GRASP what they were talking about! at a big 10 school you don't have to wait more than a semester between re-offerings of classes really- I'd seriously rather be eaten by wild llamas than take this class again though!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  3. #13
    ~dangerous curves ahead~
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    2,590

    Default

    Was wondering about the rabid posting. Haha. *puts on my SJ hat*

    1. You should have some grading criteria for your paper. Figure out what that is and play to that. You don't have to know the material completely inside out, but show enough thought and effort. My guess from my old brain that has left school yonks ago, is that demonstration of that will be enough to pass.

    2. Must've been some reason you chose to do the class. What was it, can you afford to fail it and make up again? Know it is hard to focus with all the shiny things and fun people around here , but focus on the task at hand right now. We're not gonna be the ones living with your failing grade, to put it bluntly.

    3. "Past performance is no guarantee of future results". Instead of focusing on what grades you made and how easy it was. Just focus on completing this baby now. Bite that banana bullet, babe (and pray you stop it in time before you smash into the wall).

    FWIW. I cut half my classes in college, still graduated and got a good job etc. So it is not the be all and end all if you fail.

    The question is more could you live with yourself if you didn't do well?

    If yes, then stay here and play with us.

    If no, then

    LOG OFF! START RESEARCHING AND WRITING.


    I really do you.

  4. #14
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Have you just tried writing an outline of the paper? If you know what major elements you want to include in the paper, and what supporting arguments for each point would be, then you can make it flow from that. You know the style.

    Introduction stating thesis.
    Point A
    Supporting argument 1
    Supporting argument 2
    Supporting argument 3
    Point B
    Supporting argument 1
    Supporting argument 2
    Supporting argument 3
    Point C
    Supporting argument 1
    Supporting argument 2
    Supporting argument 3
    Conclusion
    Reiterate Points A-C

    That style guarantees at least a B on every paper I have ever written.

  5. #15
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    To Aelan

    Thanks! I took the class because I'm an idiot and thought that I could handle it I somehow didn't realize that Constitutional Law was so theoretical I genuinely thought that I could get by with my truly excellent memory! (though you certainly prove to have an excellent memory yourself there! )

    What I didn't realize was that this is one of the most failed classes at the entire University because the professor genuinely LIKES to fail students! He already told me in office hours that he didn't think that I had it in me to pass the class. Unfortunatly, I think he might be right I don't really WANT it enough I guess

    I really do think that I can live with myself if I don't pass this class- I can take a class to replace it next semester and I'm going into a line of work that I really want to do, but doesn't require a college education at all (law enforcement). I'm signed up to take EMT classes next semester to cover the several month gap between graduation and academy even, so it's not like I'm going to still be working at the liquor store if I fail this!

    I guess I'm mostly just disappointed in myself and am seeking outside validation of my quitting
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  6. #16
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Have you just tried writing an outline of the paper? If you know what major elements you want to include in the paper, and what supporting arguments for each point would be, then you can make it flow from that. You know the style.

    Introduction stating thesis.
    Point A
    Supporting argument 1
    Supporting argument 2
    Supporting argument 3
    Point B
    Supporting argument 1
    Supporting argument 2
    Supporting argument 3
    Point C
    Supporting argument 1
    Supporting argument 2
    Supporting argument 3
    Conclusion
    Reiterate Points A-C

    That style guarantees at least a B on every paper I have ever written.
    Thanks! I actually did have an outline, and my paper is based on it- unfortunatly, I'm apparently "shallow" according to the professor- he actually called it a fluff piece and told me that while I'd work out fine on the staff at Newsweek, I'd fail a law review within 10 minutes

    I just can't see what he wants for me to see I guess...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  7. #17
    Per Ardua Metamorphosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Thanks! I took the class because I'm an idiot and thought that I could handle it I somehow didn't realize that Constitutional Law was so theoretical I genuinely thought that I could get by with my truly excellent memory! (though you certainly prove to have an excellent memory yourself there! )
    Yeah, Constitutional Law was the hardest class I've taken so far too. It was the only class I got a C in besides Practicing Happiness.

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever
    I really do think that I can live with myself if I don't pass this class- I can take a class to replace it next semester and I'm going into a line of work that I really want to do, but doesn't require a college education at all (law enforcement). I'm signed up to take EMT classes next semester to cover the several month gap between graduation and academy even, so it's not like I'm going to still be working at the liquor store if I fail this!

    I guess I'm mostly just disappointed in myself and am seeking outside validation of my quitting
    That's the biggest problem for me, too. It's hard to put in the required effort to get a good grade when you know it's not going to have any benefit to your career. I'm either going to enlist or go into federal law enforcement, so I know how you feel.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

    Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

  8. #18
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    and it's Honors only Con Law

    I guess I deserve this for signing up for it! (if FBI they want foreign language and previous LE experience! )

    I kind of feel like my brain failed me though
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  9. #19
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Thanks! I actually did have an outline, and my paper is based on it- unfortunatly, I'm apparently "shallow" according to the professor- he actually called it a fluff piece and told me that while I'd work out fine on the staff at Newsweek, I'd fail a law review within 10 minutes

    I just can't see what he wants for me to see I guess...
    Fluff just means your arguments weren't strong enough. Look over your notes and see what he has emphasized in lecture and make it apply to your paper.

  10. #20
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    it's not a lecture class- he teaches in Socratic method- this is where the problem comes from- I have no idea what the man wants from me and he won't tell me during office hours! *pulls hair in dispair*
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] Screw her or confront her????
    By Luet in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 10-05-2009, 10:11 AM
  2. [NT] Learning to screw up....
    By tinkerbell in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-17-2009, 08:20 AM
  3. Intelligent are being screwed over
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-06-2009, 08:20 AM
  4. [ESTJ] Help understanding a screwed-up ESTJ?
    By mwv6r in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2009, 08:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO