User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Oberon

Favorite: Sting, "Gabriel's Message."

Least Favorite: Any of the umpty-million versions of "The Little Drummer Boy," Pa-rumpa-pum-pum!

PS: Did you know that "O Holy Night" can be perfectly re-arranged as a Sousa march?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I also have a bunch of covers by the Chieftains that are lovely. Otherwise, I've grown to hate Christmas, and that saddens me. I believe in the spirit of the season more now than I did when I was a child, but I see the holiday as a reminder of poverty and abandoned people. That's MY problem, of course.

EDIT: Elvis is good too! We have his Christmas music.
    I love the Chieftains!

I can totally understand the hating Christmas thing as well- I spent Christmas Eve a few years ago in a hospital room watching my favorite aunt die- I still feel bad that I failed to stay awake the whole night Damned Carols always remind me of that!!!

I have an odd love for Jimmy Buffett's christmas album as well
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I love the Chieftains!
    They put the sparkle back into the songs.

I can totally understand the hating Christmas thing as well- I spent Christmas Eve a few years ago in a hospital room watching my favorite aunt die- I still feel bad that I failed to stay awake the whole night Damned Carols always remind me of that!!!
    Geez. That's terrible. *hugs you* What a rotten memory to have. People and things most loved have died on me around Christmas too. It makes me crazy.

I always remember my mother crying because we were so poor, and we couldn't even afford a tree. I grew to HATE the holiday. Santa Claus was a joke. Any benevolent presence was to me. You could strike fire on me then, I was so hard. I don't want to be that way anymore, so I'll make myself believe in something.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm sorry!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Lets see. I'm Jewish, first off (culturally, not philosophically). Hanukkah is a good holiday because you give and receive presents (usually crappy ones, but it doesn't matter, since the activity creates a very loving atmosphere) and get to eat jelly donuts which fucking rock my world. I kinda like Yom Kippur too. You're supposed to fast which would seem annoying but is kind of meditative. Least favorite: I don't really have one. I like it when the family gets together and performs strange, baroque rituals. It's an (amatuer) anthopologist's dream. Ash Wednesday kinda freaked me out. I didn't know what it was until college. I just thought everyone stopped showering for some reason. It's kinda vampirish, too.

Edit: Oops, thought we we talking about favorite holidays. :-/
    Last edited by ThatsWhatHeSaid; 12-05-2007 at 05:07 PM.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Jewish tradition is a labyrinth of mystical and significant things. I've been through the Seder with a Jewish friend, but none other.

I think the rituals are what I'm missing. My family is small and scatters like cats.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Lets see. I'm Jewish, first off (culturally, not philosophically). Hanukkah is a good holiday because you give and receive presents (usually crappy ones, but it doesn't matter, since the activity creates a very loving atmosphere) and get to eat jelly donuts which fucking rock my world. I kinda like Yom Kippur too. You're supposed to fast which would seem annoying but is kind of meditative. Least favorite: I don't really have one. I like it when the family gets together and performs strange, baroque rituals. It's an (amatuer) anthopologist's dream. Ash Wednesday kinda freaked me out. I didn't know what it was until college. I just thought everyone stopped showering for some reason. It's kinda vampirish, too.
    Well, what do you think of Adam Sandler's "Hanukkah Song"?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Well, what do you think of Adam Sandler's "Hanukkah Song"?
    It's great the first 256,000 you hear it when you're 16. After that, it gets a tad bit stale.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Jewish tradition is a labyrinth of mystical and significant things. I've been through the Seder with a Jewish friend, but none other.

I think the rituals are what I'm missing. My family is small and scatters like cats.
    How'd you like the Seder?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    How'd you like the Seder?
    Fascinating and reverential, and weirdly light-hearted for a commemoration of an angel of death passing by. Jewish liturgy coruscates after so many thousands of hands and eyes and spirits meeting in congress. There's something fearfully close to God in it. I never approach Judaism or its symbols casually.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code