12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default People With Bad Breath

So, I run into a lot of different people in my job, and occasionally there are people who just have really horrible breath. In fact, just tonight, I had to sit next to a guy on a plane. Couldn't get way from it. It has always bothered me - I can recall a teacher way back in college where it would permeate to the first row. It is worse when they are the people who don't have so much of a concept of personal space and breath in your face. It has gotten me to wondering:

- Is it strange that it bothers me as much as it does? Would this have anything to do with inferior Se? I know I don't have bad breath myself (except for first thing in the morning) because I've asked others, so it's not like this is some sort of projection.

- Don't these people know their breath is terrible and can't they do something about it? Like brush their teeth more often, floss twice a day, brush their tongue, or use mouthwash?

It seems like a curable malady.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

&/or offer them:

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

But I don't think that is really a permanent fix. I've wondered if maybe I should just tell them. Sure, they'd get embarrassed, but maybe they don't know... I'd tell someone their fly was open. It is a little similar.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    But I don't think that is really a permanent fix. I've wondered if maybe I should just tell them. Sure, they'd get embarrassed, but maybe they don't know... I'd tell someone their fly was open. It is a little similar.
    Little similar, not a lot. As, fixing a fly is a 1 sec zip-up, and is due to unmindfulness. While bad breath is a condition, and, there likely is no quick fix, if it's so bad that you can regularly smell it off them, and at a distance.

Gum disease is a big culprit - and no amount of flossing, brushing throughout the day, chewing gum/breath mints, mouthwash, tongue scraping, can help that. Those afflicted with heart disease also seem susceptible to this, as are those suffering from diabetes. Acid in the stomach can also be a cause.

Halitosis is not always a quick fix or a question of the person's lack of dental hygiene.

If you're close with them, I think you can speak to them about it. But, if it's a professional setting, it might be appropriate to tell them. I dunno about random strangers, even if you have to suffer them for a while. I'd rather remove myself from the situation, if at all possible.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    I tend to think if they cared, they'd be doing all the things people do to assure themselves they don't have bad breath. Cleaning tongue, brushing teeth, gum, mints etc.

Maybe they have a sinus infection though.

I had a relative who had chronic bad breath until he started taking magnesium tablets.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Hmmm that finally explains why noone wants to sit next to me in meetings.

That or the fact that I wear no pants
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Dali

That was me for a while.

Regular mouthwash, flossing and brushing never worked for me.

It contributed, in a major way, to my social anxiety. I was always aware of it and I felt like I was utterly repulsive.

The day I found a proper solution felt like a rebirth of sorts. (A regime of Chlorexidine usage, regular flossing and, most importantly, monthly tooth-scaling helps keep it under control.)

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

I heard tonsil stones are a frequent source of bad breath.
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%
    average of many test results combined

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

What's worse is when they have bad breath + ketone bodies, and smell like moth balls..

Has anyone ever been a victim of the scent of another person's lactose intolerance combined with aftershave, after they take a nice, hot, steamy-shower? It wreaks as it permeates through the air.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by kiddykat View Post
    What's worse is when they have bad breath + ketone bodies, and smell like moth balls..

Has anyone ever been a victim of the scent of another person's lactose intolerance combined with aftershave, after they take a nice, hot, steamy-shower? It wreaks as it permeates through the air.

Dare I ask, how you happened to have that experience?