User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 16

  1. #1
    Pumpernickel
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,960

    Default Do you believe in atoms?

    I think the whole thing sounds pretty far fetched to me. And extremely elaborate too.

  2. #2
    Geolectric teslashock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    Well what else could account for the phlogiston?

  3. #3
    Pumpernickel
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,960

    Default

    You might want to avoid my threads.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    I think the whole thing sounds pretty far fetched to me. And extremely elaborate too.
    That's what she said (about reality)

  5. #5
    Geolectric teslashock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    You might want to avoid my threads.
    But they are bending the space-time mattress within this forum and sucking me in like gravity.

    Wait, that's just a theory too isn't it?

  6. #6
    Pumpernickel
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    But they are bending the space-time mattress within this forum and sucking me in like gravity.

    Wait, that's just a theory too isn't it?
    I bet you're fat.

  7. #7
    Geolectric teslashock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    I bet you're fat.
    Nah, it would take a nuclear pull to suck me in then, and considering that atoms don't even exist now, I find that a tad bit impossible at this point.

    BUT, if I am fat, then that does well for my disproving your argument against the existence of atoms, so here's me:



    Supersizewoman to the rescue! Here to answer any and all scientific inquiries in a quick minute (but of course my expertise are related to studies on mass phenomenon)!

  8. #8
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    I think the whole thing sounds pretty far fetched to me. And extremely elaborate too.
    Totally, like that whole "the Earth is round" baloney. Yeah, right.

  9. #9
    S Saiyan God Mace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te
    Posts
    2,141

    Default

    This is cool. How do we even know atoms exist? Some times, I wonder whether or not, it's all made up as an elaborate to make things a whole lot more interesting to 'learn'.

    ... However, certains things, like the chemical reactions from Chemistry, to nuclear energy from Physics (per se) help me decide that atoms may very well exist.

  10. #10
    Geolectric teslashock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post

    ... However, certains things, like the chemical reactions from Chemistry, to nuclear energy from Physics (per se) help me decide that atoms may very well exist.
    Yes. We can observe the effects from the unobservable and discern enough information from these effects to come up with an accurate model of reality.

    These pictures also serve as a pretty decent peices of evidence, imho:


    Exhibit A: Atoms from the surface of Niobium/Selenium crystals


    Exhibit B: Images of s and p orbitals

    Pictures aside, the fact that we can use the atomic theory to predict the behavior of matter is evidence enough to suggest that we are indeed on to something when we say that these small particles exist.

    Given that this thread is in the fluff zone and over a topic that is largely indisputable, I'm sure JustHer had no intentions of seriously arguing the existence of atoms, but I love those pictures (and quantum physics), so I couldn't resist.

Similar Threads

  1. Do you believe in the Efficient Market Theory?
    By Gamine in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 04:28 PM
  2. Do you believe in hope without despair?
    By Zrenn in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 09:45 PM
  3. Do you believe in natural rights?
    By Kiddo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-26-2008, 01:27 PM
  4. Do you believe in a higher power?
    By ygolo in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 08:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO