Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default facebook gives me the horrors!

I don't know if it's because I have 170 people on my friends list there, including people whom I haven't seen in 15 years, but I suddenly realized that I had to lock up all of my privacy settings. The thought of someone posting some hideous picture of me from five or ten years ago and tagging it without my knowledge mortifies me. I didn't realize until tonight that not only my friends - but friends of friends! - could see everything I post. Not that I post anything especially private, but still. Also, I have concerns about random asshat acquaintence who I barely know (and hardly even knew in high school, for that matter) writing something retarded on my wall for all the world to see.

It's different from somewhere like this, I guess, for the simple fact that these people know my full name and other IRL info about me. My singular fear seems to be public, wide-spread embarrassment of some sort.

Am I paranoid? Does anyone else feel this way?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

not really. But I only have like 73 friends. And I like it that way. I'm pretty anal about my privacy settings, and cogizant of who can see what. I even have (LOL) another facebook acct with another email address so I can actually check and see what people who aren't my friends can see........just to make sure. (is that paranoid?)
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    not really. But I only have like 73 friends. And I like it that way. I'm pretty anal about my privacy settings, and cogizant of who can see what. I even have (LOL) another facebook acct with another email address so I can actually check and see what people who aren't my friends can see........just to make sure. (is that paranoid?)
    So you do understand! I feel better now that I've changed my privacy settings.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Am I paranoid? Does anyone else feel this way?
    You're not paranoid. I think the same things, especially with groups of friends that don't know each other and know a different part of me mingling. But nothing weird has happened yet *crossing fingers*

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    m pretty anal about my privacy settings, and cogizant of who can see what. I even have (LOL) another facebook acct with another email address so I can actually check and see what people who aren't my friends can see........just to make sure. (is that paranoid?)
    I hope it's not paranoid, cause I have the exact same setup for the exact same reason!

The thing that makes it so nerve wracking is that the Facebook privacy controls are virtually impossible to fully understand. And they don't do the ONE thing I want them to do: let you select individual people that can post on your wall but not see other postings. You are required to let either all your friends or none of your friends view your wall.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post

I hope it's not paranoid, cause I have the exact same setup for the exact same reason!
    We are both crazy. :crazy:
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

...I guess I should be the one worrying about paranoia then.
    My facebook profile:

-Fake family name.
    -Edited picture of me without my face
    -2 alternate fake facebook accounts.
    -No information about interests or about me.
    -Deleted comments about anything to do with personal information from other people.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Hey you guys just gave me a great idea about creating a fake account to see what my profile looks like to friends.

Yes, that's right - feed the crazy!

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I just get this way about pictures, but otherwise my information is free game.
    I'm obnoxiously public about myself though. :blushing:
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    INFP

Joining Facebook was a terrible mistake. I really only wanted to lurk a bit and connect with a few specific people I'd lost touch with. Little did I suspect as I set up that account that I was gently lobbing a snowball down a steep slope. Suddenly people I barely know are friending me, and some that I don't know at all. And they all leave little messages expecting replies. And if you do reply to them there's no end to it.

I probably only log on once every couple of months now -- just to accept the new friend requests so I don't inadvertently horribly offend someone I know.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Joining Facebook was a terrible mistake. I really only wanted to lurk a bit and connect with a few specific people I'd lost touch with. Little did I suspect as I set up that account that I was gently lobbing a snowball down a steep slope. Suddenly people I barely know are friending me, and some that I don't know at all. And they all leave little messages expecting replies. And if you do reply to them there's no end to it.

I probably only log on once every couple of months now -- just to accept the new friend requests so I don't inadvertently horribly offend someone I know.
    That's how I ended up with so many "friends" - if someone I went to school with at some point is friends with ten or twenty other people I went to school with, and I don't friend them I feel guilty unless I outright hate their guts or mistrust them for some strange reason. Mainly this isn't the problem, but in 170 people there's bound to be a couple of wackos.

For example, one time I was "tagged" in a photo...that wasn't even me. It was a photo of some person I've never even met, and I don't mean to sound cruel, but I don't want to be associated with what that person looked like in the photograph. I was horrified until I realized I could un-tag myself, but only found out tonight I can stop the tagging once and for all.

Another time, some random dude who was an acquaintence of mine a good eight or ten years ago, who I don't even talk to anymore even through email, wrote something on my wall that irritated me to no end.

I once avoided facebook for months, kind of like yourself, until I realized I could block applications and stop seeing the updates of annoying people.