User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you have any interest in science?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Female - enjoy all sciences

4 28.57%
  • Female - don't mind it

2 14.29%
  • Female - not interested

0 0%
  • Male - enjoy all sciences

7 50.00%
  • Male - don't mind it

1 7.14%
  • Male - not interested

0 0%
12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Default M/F + Sciences & Philosophy

I'm just curious, because I realized that I've never known any girls that are into scientific ideas and discussing philosophy and stuff, they always have interests elsewhere. It's only ever guys... I suppose it'd be connected to Thinkers or Intuitives or something, but whatever. So, to what extent to you find interest in the sciences?
    5 3 9

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I like science, so I voted yes...

I do not consider philosophy a science, and I HATE philosophy
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

whoops... :whistle: I just jammed them in the same boat, I assumed that people who like science like it out of a passion for ideas.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    yupp

well i like chemistry and hate biology never took physics so I don't know. But I appreciate science even if I don't study it. and I think I liked chemistry because I was half way decent at it but biology i've hated because its too much memorazation I can remember formulas for a class but I can't remember the parts of the brain and other biological shit.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    well i like chemistry and hate biology never took physics so I don't know. But I appreciate science even if I don't study it. and I think I liked chemistry because I was half way decent at it but biology i've hated because its too much memorazation I can remember formulas for a class but I can't remember the parts of the brain and other biological shit.
    I like finding out how biology works, but every time someone explains it, they have to explain a thousand weird names before any of it makes sense. The only chance I'd have of learning that kind of stuff, would be if I learned it all the same way I learned: DIAFRAGM! I just love that GM sound . I know a guy who loves biology too, he likes that most of it is just flat out memorization and then filling in the gaps. They say anyone can memorize stuff, but I reckon it takes skill to do a good job of it.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    I like finding out how biology works, but every time someone explains it, they have to explain a thousand weird names before any of it makes sense. The only chance I'd have of learning that kind of stuff, would be if I learned it all the same way I learned: DIAFRAGM! I just love that GM sound . I know a guy who loves biology too, he likes that most of it is just flat out memorization and then filling in the gaps. They say anyone can memorize stuff, but I reckon it takes skill to do a good job of it.
    Yeah I feel the same way, I like reading articles on other shit about it, but I just can't remember everything and would fail the tests. Even though I got what the purpose of each thing was, I just couldn't remember what each thing was or i'd get them confused.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    whoops... :whistle: I just jammed them in the same boat, I assumed that people who like science like it out of a passion for ideas.
    I dislike philosophy because I don't care what a bunch of old dead guys think really- you never really get anywhere with philosophy- it isn't real.

science on the other hand is- you can really progress and it matters
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

This.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

I'm female and I voted "enjoy all sciences" but if you'd allowed a middle ground between that and "don't mind it" I would have picked that because I never liked chemistry. AP Physics was one of my favorite classes in high school, and I didn't like many of my classes. Yet I ended up being a humanities major. While I care about art & literature the most, science was always more palatable in a formal educational setting. I'm sure I could have liked chemistry too if I'd had a better teacher; I don't think there's anything under the sun that isn't interesting if you figure out the right way of looking at it (and by the way if someone could please help me figure out how to do this with Roman art that would be extremely helpful, I'm still looking). You need to meet more girls.

Philosophy... ech. Any time I've had to read Plato, Nietzsche, etc. I hated it. That's not to say I'm not interested in the questions they're asking, I just wish they'd present it more elegantly. I like to get my philosophy by way of literature. Bartleby the Scrivener & A Rebours, that sort of thing.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I feel very strongly that philosophy is not a science. They aren't similar at all...

I am a grad student in biomedicine, so it can safely be assumed I like science and the scientific method and all that. Though I've always loved the biological sciences, I'm fairly neutral to chemistry (it's cool at basic levels though, just gets boring at the university level) and don't really like physics. So I'm not entirely sure how I should vote. I suspect I like science more than the average person, still.

<--female, like at least 80% of people in my biology classes in the past and present (chem and physics are far more male-dominated, so I think you can't lump in all sciences together if you want to look at gender ratios)

ps biology in undergrad (especially year 1 and 2, not as much later) does have a lot of memorization, depending on the subject and how good the teacher is. When you get past that level it is far more about understanding, reasoning and making connections. If it was all memorizing I would never be in the field...not to mention if it was all memorizing, we would never make any medical progress...it can be hard to get through the memorizing in the earlier stages though.
    -end of thread-