User Tag List

Thread: "Flaky"

Default "Flaky"

"Oh ignore X, she's flaky"

Is it true that this term is essentially meaningless and X could as easily be a sappy NF cry-baby as an aspergers syndrome NT robot? A serial killer or buddhist monk? Her crime could have been to laugh at all your jokes creepily or spit in your face?

So after hearing it used to refer to behaviours and people so different as to make the term apparently meaningless, I asked a friend who uses it a lot, and he admitted he doesn't know what the term means either, but it's just that no-one will disagree with you if you use it to describe someone.

So how could such a travesty of language be allowed to happen? Is there a precedent for a "catch-all" descriptor? Where did this originate? Why? Has it been corrupted over time? Why "flaky"...? Soooo many questions. And finally: is there any common fucking denominator at all to it...?
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Circus Maximus Array Sarcasticus's Avatar

In my experience, "flaky" is used to describe that a person is unreliable; that their behavior in a relationship or friendship is considered inconsistent. Of course an ISTJ's "flaky" is different than an ENFP's "flaky".