User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    What's snow
    We keep it up in the mountains. We never let it down here where there are people.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I keep stocked up with canned and dry goods, and I keep a couple of boxes of Duraflame logs for the fireplace, so I don't care much. The birds are starving, though. I wish I had bird seed! I opened the curtains this morning to watch the show and birds rushed the window like "Help! Help!" so I put out everything I could find that I thought they'd eat (cut up apples, bread, nuts, cooked rice, dog kibble) and they ate it all and still wanted more. I'm cooking up a pot of rice and lentils for them to eat tomorrow.

We're supposed to have snow again Tuesday, so I think that wipes out the week for us. I just want to see the HBO movie tonight about Temple Grandin. After that if we lose power or cable for a bit, I won't complain too much.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I'm so unimpressed with this snowfall.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I hate the snow and cold too. I'm a semi-tropical Southern girl to the core. If I'm not sweating, where the heck *am* I?! We've gotten a steady stream of snow, cold rain, freezing rain and sleet through most of January into this month. I have no idea how folks up north do it (except that they may be cuh-ray-zay... though I could possibly see my way through the cold months if Steve Yzerman were in my clothes. With me.) My former stepmother's folks are from Buffalo and "lake effect snow" was their middle name. I couldn't stand it. Even my stepmother eventually couldn't stand it and moved away.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I just dug out my car, which had been parked along the street. (I'm renting a room, so I don't get driveway privileges.)

It took me about 45 minutes. I did not feel cold out there after a little, but when I came in 15-20 minutes ago, I went into a deep sweat and had to change into shorts and remove my socks. I'm still sweating a little. Funny how the body just kicks in like a machine.

My car had two feet of snow two feet deep on the road side, and snow was piled up on the curb side right against the passenger windows. The plow put about three feet of snow behind it, then cut around leaving a taper of 2 feet snow in front. I had to shovel out the whole road side, stuff in back, stuff in front (for room to move), and also the foot of snow ON my car.

Right as I was finishing, two young men in jackets and slacks and button shirts came up the street. I already had a hunch but did not make eye contact. When they started to pass me, I heard them stop and smiled to myself as they warred on what to do.

"Do you need any help?" one said finally. So I turned and took a good look at them. Young guys, mid-20's? One was a few inches taller than me. They were kind. They had badges on.

After some small talk, they clarified which one of my two guesses they were: "Have you ever heard of the Mormon church?"

It actually has been one of the most decent conversations (short but sweet) I've had with these roving missionary types. We bantered about church a little, I told them the bare basics of my church and professional background. I had no intention of getting into a religious discussion with them but had no issues with being friendly to someone; I just had to keep the boundaries firm.

When they asked if they could help dig me out, I smiled and "Darn, I wish you had been here 30 minutes ago." I really was just about done. One suggested I see if i could pull out my car and he would push... and I did need a push to clear a bit of snow, so I'm glad they stopped by and volunteered.

A big Protestant neighborhood, but it was the Mormons who actually stopped to help me.

When I came in, the guy who I am renting a room from said, "You're not going to bring your Mormon boyfriends in here, are you?" I just laughed, I knew he'd freak if I did, so I didn't... plus I wouldn't have anyway, I didn't feel like doing the religious debate thing today. Bill apparently has had run-in's with them in the past and apparently just them to hit the road as soon as they stop by.

This is pretty amazing. This is literally the most snow I've seen in Harrisburg at one time for probably 3-4 years, if not more.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    This is pretty amazing. This is literally the most snow I've seen in Harrisburg at one time for probably 3-4 years, if not more.
    I've only been in Harrisburg for a little over 2 years, and I've got to say that's kind of lame. I remember three feet of snow where I come from. I'm displeased, because it looks to me like the snow has actually fallen a bit short of what was forecast.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I've only been in Harrisburg for a little over 2 years, and I've got to say that's kind of lame. I remember three feet of snow where I come from. I'm displeased, because it looks to me like the snow has actually fallen a bit short of what was forecast.
    Yeah, it did. I think two feet was forecast. This was less than that.

I've been in this area about 12 years now, and snow has never been that intense. Around 1980, growing up, I remember snow commonly falling up to depths of a few feet, where I could build tunnels and forts under the snow. When I was older, I had fun making people-sized snow sculptures. That was only about an hour south of here. The snow has been very lame.

Still, I don't get to "play in it," i have to shovel in it and drive in it ... so I don't much care anymore.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Still, I don't get to "play in it," i have to shovel in it and drive in it ... so I don't much care anymore.
    I find excuses to play in it and still be a grown up.

Besides, more snow looks prettier.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I find excuses to play in it and still be a grown up.
    I wish I could. My kids and I always used to have so much fun.

Besides, more snow looks prettier.
    That's really true. Last night I really should have gone walking. There's nothing like a night when the cloud cover is giving the night sky a faint orangish glow, and no one's out because they're all hiding out at home from the weather so the streets are quiet... and all you hear is the quiet rustle of snowflakes landing on the street and your coat and feeling their little cold white tings as they strike your face and bounce off.

It's very peaceful, very ... expansive inside.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Fuck the snow. I hate the snow. It's been snowing or raining for two months straight. Also, I hate the people who crowd the grocery stores when it's going to snow, like they think that armegeddon is coming. I mean, even if you get snowed in, how long will that be? For a day? Two max? Do you really need seventeen loaves of bread fatass? I just stand there at my register and they keep coming one right after another like the zombie apocalypse.

I'm moving back out West. I think I've seriously had more colds and crap since I've lived in WV, too.
    yeah... the 20 minute line the other day was a little ridiculous

plus the weird couple who decided after 10 minutes it was time to accuse the person in front of them of butting....

fukin' scrotes!