User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

BTW, technically this is Haight's sandbox (though he doesn't treat it that way). He made and pays for the forum so we run it the way he wants it run. If I didn't also think it was a good way to run a forum I wouldn't be an admin here.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    is it really true, then... that I'm a humor whore?
    It doesnt matter, I'ld even love you if you were a whore
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Just contributing. You sound like this:

It's America! LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!
    She does sound like that. I have trouble, though, understanding why that is bad.

The forum runs because someone owns it, and it is run a certain way because that's the prerogative of the owner. Anyone who doesn't like that can find something more to their liking elsewhere. Now, to have a successful forum you need participants. If at some point the moderation becomes unbearable and participants begin to leave in large numbers, then the owner will have to think about the balance between doing things his/her way and having a productive forum. Clearly, this push-and-pull is currently in favor of the way things are being done, as membership and participation continue to grow. There's no reason to change the way things are done because a very small but vocal minority wish it to be so. The wider view suggests that it's much easier for them to either change their behavior or find a place that makes them happier.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

America... FUCK YEAH!

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    For those who feel that certain moderators seem to take action more often:

1) As was previously stated, we discuss an issue and then either someone volunteers or is nominated to deal with it. This doesn't reflect who brought up the concern in the first place.
    But I would suggest not getting involved until you have a complaint filed. Of course I am ignorant of such things, but if someone doesn't care about infighting here, why should you?

2) Some moderators are on here more and also have more history in the forum. We basically only deal with posts that are reported to us, or things that we come across ourselves. That means that unless it is an area of the board where we spend time, we may not know about everything that is going on, unless someone brings it to our attention.
    Well, I think that's probably best.

3) Certain moderators know particular members better than others. It makes sense that those with the best relationship to them would be more likely to deal with them.

For those who are concerned that the board is overmoderated, it really is only the same kind of rules that would apply to adults conversing in a public setting. If you are publicly nude (the equivalent of online publicly oversharing in graphic detail), you become abusive, or you antagonize other patrons repeatedly, you are likely to be politely warned (and later get thrown out of) a restaurant or bar.
    But this isn't exactly like a restaurant or bar because we elect to be here just to see discussion and/or to interact. It's not like we have to finish our dinner or drink or something. It isn't like we can't click out of an environment, or send a complaint to a mod, if we feel the need to.

Also, some people LIKE to argue. Some a lot, some a little. If someone wants to argue a bit and cut each other down, why can't they? If one of the parties doesn't like it, they can duck out or file a complaint, whatever. It's not like they are going to be hurt.

I have seriously had more negative interactions here with MODERATORS than members. I've never felt the need to complain about other members.

I'm done. Thanks for listening, Everyone.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Default To all the mods, given that it's a group decision, please comment.

The pre-emptive strike against simulatedworld, I don't know why it was publicly stated in the new Fi thread. The first time I read it, it was quite jarring, such that I had to go back and re-read the whole thread to see where Simu started acting up again, in this new Fi thread. And...couldn't find anything.

I can understand the need for such pre-emptive strike given Simu's history with Fi threads. What I don't really understand is why the warning was made "public". Why wasn't it PMed to Simulatedworld? Why was it made public in the new thread? To what? (1) Let others know (those particular "sensitive" Fi users) that Simu is being watched? (2) To warn others that they shouldn't follow in the footsteps of simulatedworld?

For (2), no other user comes to mind that has shown the same kind of vested interest in dragging down Fi as simu has. The "Public Service Announcement", simu ran that whole show, pretty much, with a comment here and there from others, but, it was really him versus "the insulted".

For (1), I don't know why it needs to be said to appease those particular Fi-users, when it can be made apparent in subsequent actions, if the thread went the direction the pre-emptive strike outlined.

If there's any other reason for why the pre-emptive strike was made public, I'd love to hear it.

Edit: my only question is in regards to why the warning was made public, while outlining a particular member.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    ^ so you got a lot of Fi complaints, did you? More than normal? Cos I thought it was all funny and/or enlightening to some degree.

Also, if mods make up what? .5% of the forum (or 5% !) why should the members who think there is some over moderation going on here just leave, especially long-term members? Moderators are perfection personified? That doesn't sound very considerate, Ivy and Protean. I think those portions of your posts should go to the modbox. It sounds like you are hinting we should leave.
    I'm explicitly saying that people who don't like the forum due to their perception of overmoderation would probably be better off at a forum more conducive to their tastes.

If I don't like a movie, I walk out.
    If I don't like my food I send it back.
    If I don't like the service I've received at an establishment I lodge a complaint and take my business elsewhere.

Where I have the control and free will to take exit a situation I don't like, I leave.

BUT, I have a feeling that people do indeed stay because there's a type of chemistry on this forum that keeps people around. And I am arrogant enough to believe it's because of the moderating philosophies and principles we hold that allows this atmosphere to thrive. That's a possibility of why people who claim to not like the moderation on the forum stick around.

edit: I like the general crowd here, just not the overmoderation, so why should I leave? Plus I have almost 1300 posts. :sad:
    You like the crowd because no one is allowed to maliciously attack your opinions and beliefs, you're free for the most part to say what you want, you're able to establish bonds and relationships with other members, you're able to freely put forth ideas and discussions you probably don't have a chance to engage in in real life, you're able to anonymously mostly without consequence release feelings, thoughts, needs, values, wants, desires, you have that to people who relate and are receptive to those things.

This atmosphere doesn't just pop up out of nowhere, it has to be cultivated and maintained. If you felt like you were being harassed and denigrated every time you posted, you wouldn't stick around. I have been on forums (:whistle where that type of behavior and attitude is and was de rigueur. You stay because this atmosphere is suitable to you.

Nothing's perfect so yeah. Except me of course.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    The pre-emptive strike against simulatedworld, I don't know why it was publicly stated in the new Fi thread. The first time I read it, it was quite jarring, such that I had to go back and re-read the whole thread to see where Simu started acting up again, in this new Fi thread. And...couldn't find anything.
    Yes, there was also a situation a few months ago when Sim was banned from the Panic! at the Disco thread for saying a few abrasive things even though he was one of the most informed and thoughtful contributors to the thread. I started the thread, I'm an Fi-aux, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what he did that was so wrong. In fact, INTPs behavior in that thread seemed equally as insulting, just in a different manner.

Half the time I can't figure out what people even did wrong, although I agree there are some very obvious situations where things are out of control.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I'm explicitly saying that people who don't like the forum due to their perception of overmoderation would probably be better off at a forum more conducive to their tastes.

If I don't like a movie, I walk out.
    If I don't like my food I send it back.
    If I don't like the service I've received at an establishment I lodge a complaint and take my business elsewhere.

Where I have the control and free will to take exit a situation I don't like, I leave.

BUT, I have a feeling that people do indeed stay because there's a type of chemistry on this forum that keeps people around. And I am arrogant enough to believe it's because of the moderating philosophies and principles we hold that allows this atmosphere to thrive. That's a possibility of why people who claim to not like the moderation on the forum stick around.

You like the crowd because no one is allowed to maliciously attack your opinions and beliefs, you're free for the most part to say what you want, you're able to establish bonds and relationships with other members, you're able to freely put forth ideas and discussions you probably don't have a chance to engage in in real life, you're able to anonymously mostly without consequence release feelings, thoughts, needs, values, wants, desires, you have that to people who relate and are receptive to those things.

This atmosphere doesn't just pop up out of nowhere, it has to be cultivated and maintained. If you felt like you were being harassed and denigrated every time you posted, you wouldn't stick around. I have been on forums (:whistle where that type of behavior and attitude is and was de rigueur. You stay because this atmosphere is suitable to you.

Nothing's perfect so yeah. Except me of course.

Why not put forth 1/50th of the energy you moderators do in arguing (protean and ivy--and this isn't personal coz I like y'all a lot) into considering maybe you could come down off the moderation band wagon a step or two? Why so, "It's our way or the highway?"
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

This is silly. This is an internet message board. If you disagree with moderation policies, you should just let it be known in a well thought out note, and leave it at that, instead of expending so much time and energy on this.