User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Default The Slovakian word for Banana is Banan!

I'm just doing it properly, fluff zone here we go.

Meet the Banananator!

And what words are almost the same from your language to English.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Also know that the slovakian word for aquarium is akvarium.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

hahah I'm a bit bored.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

German: arm, hand, finger.

I only remembered "arm" from German class (I only took it for about 6 years, why should I remember more!) I always think I'm wrong and look it up and then think it's a trick.

It's all an evil trick!!!

I like banan, that's actually awesome.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Photo to Fotki or Fotky

Technique to Technika

Technology to Technologia

Randomly googling images with the words.

wtf that's odd humour in slovak?
    Salat is salad while calamada is pickles or sauerkraut.

Sauerkraut is German.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Hola seor Clean!
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

Sniffles

Synapse, that's true for alot of Slavic languages - not just Slovak.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Synapse, that's true for alot of Slavic languages - not just Slovak.
    You are correct Peguy, I was narrow minded and lazy.
    Checks the origins of the language. I should learn more about my origins, my ignorance isn't bliss.

The Slovak language (slovencina, slovensk jazyk) is an Indo-European language, more precisely a West Slavic languageAs with any complex, emergent concept, language is somewhat resistant to definition; however, most would agree that language is a system of communication or reasoning using representation along with metaphor and some manner of logical grammar. Many langua (together with mainly the CzechLanguages of the Czech Republic Slavic languages The Czech language is one of the West Slavic languages, along with Slovak, Polish, Pomeranian, and Sorbian. It is spoken by most people in the Czech Republic and by Czechs all over the world (about 12 milli, PolishPolish polski jezyk polski is the official language of Poland. History Polish has been influenced by contact with foreign languages (foremost Latin, Czech, French, German, Italian, Russian and recently it has been virtually bombarded by English, especiall, and Sorbian languages).

Slovak is spoken in Slovakia (by 5 million people), the USA (500,000, emigrants), the Czech Republic (320,000, due to former Czechoslovakia), Hungary (110,000, ancient ethnic minority), Serbia- Voivodina (80,000, ancient ethnic minority), Romania (22,000, ancient ethnic minority), Poland (20,000), Canada (20,000, emigrants), Australia (emigrants), Ukraine, Bulgaria, Croatia (5,000), Russia and some other countries.

The correct American English adjective for the language, people, and culture of Slovakia is 'Slovak;' Slovak belongs to the 'Slavic' group of languages. British usage employs 'Slovakian' for the American 'Slovak' and uses 'Slavonic' where the American usage is 'Slavic'.
    1 Alphabet

The Slovak language uses a modified Roman ( Latin) alphabet. Modified means that it uses four types of diacritical marks (?, , , ^; see Pronunciation) placed above some letters.

The lexicographic ordering of the Slovak alphabet is very similar to the English alphabet: A B C D DZ E F G H CH I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z. The complete alphabet, however, allows for characters with diacritics (the character with diacritics always comes after the same character without diacritics) and is as follows: a b c c d d dz d e f g h ch i j k l l l m n n o p q r r s t t u v w x y z . Note that dz, d and ch are considered single letters and that ch follows the h (not the c). The letters "q" and "w" are only used in loan words, never in native Slovak words.

The names of the letters (like in English ey, bee, cee, dee ) are: a, , , b, c, c, d, d, dz, d, e, , ef, g, h, ch, i, , j, k, el, el, el, em, en, en, o, , , p, kv, er, er, e, t, t, u, , v, dvojit v, iks, ypsilon, zet, et (for pronunciation see below)

The characters are divided as follows:

* Vowels are: a e i o y u .
    * Diphthongs are: ia, ie, iu, .
    * Consonants are: b c c d d dz d f g h ch j k l l l m n n p q r r s t t v w x z . The consonants r, l, r, l are considered vowels in some cases (see Pronunciation).

MBTI
    CAT

Well, these are foreign words, of course they will be similar in most European languages

In Czech, banana is banan, photo is fotka, technique is technika, technology is technologie. The image with "translations" is pretty funny

For the sake of interest, the word "robot" comes from Czech. The author Karel Capek first used it in his play "RUR". It was coined by his brother, painter and author Josef Capek.

The word "pistol" is also believed to be of Czech origin. It comes from the word "pistole" which evolved from the word "pistala"; it means "flute" or "pipe" and it was a name of a Hussite firearm.
    Her head hung down
    Gazed at earth, finally keen,
    As the rabbit at the stoat,
    Till the earth was sky,
    Sky that was green,
    And brown clouds passed
    Like chestnut leaves along the ground.

- SUSAN ANN AND IMMORTALITY, T. E. Hulme

Sniffles

Well the Hussite also pioneered the war wagons, which was a Medieval version of the tank.