User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Lightsabers

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    A jedi craves not these things.
    Doncha know? Within every INFJ lies a secret Sith overlord.

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    Dooku sure could have used hilts. He lost both his hands at the same time. I haven't looked into the others movies yet...

Katana. Okay, I get that. By why is a hilt not practical on a lightsaber? Just manipulate the light and bend it or something, it's not like light weighs anything.
    Well as far as the katana is concerned, one of the main reasons it doesn't have a prominent hilt is because it would have hindered drawing it quickly from the scabbard. In addition to that, it was wielded in a chopping motion with both hands. You could think of it as an all out offensive weapon. It was very effective inside Japan but against a skilled Chinese broadsword, history proved it to be very ineffective.

As far as why the Star Wars peeps don't do it I couldn't even begin to imagine. I'm sure it was filmed that way originally because they didn't know how to add a hilt to the saber with the technique they were using to create the effect. However, in the Star Wars world, I imagine it would be because of tradition.

MBTI
    ENTP

I think I read somewhere that Ewan McGregor kept getting told off during the filming because he couldn't resist making the 'schddzzzzzt' noises and they had to keep doing more takes. I don't blame him though.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Lightsabres are energy weapons and hence would not slide down each others "blade".

The manner in which the "blade" is produced requires focusing crystals and hence would prevent any effective guard being produced in energy like the "blade". As the "blade" is supposed to be able to sever through pretty much any material (there is the exception of the alchemical metals made by the Sith) it would also be pointless to produce it out of another material.

Basically there's no way to protect the user from injuring themselves or being injured by a canny opponent. Such weapons are often referred to with awe and words such as "elegant" when they actually should read "frickin dangerous".

Think of flails and all of those chain based weapons so popular in medieval Japan. Also dangerous to wielder and opponent, also "elegant". Trust me I've seen what someone can do when they wield a Nunchaku without the proper caution.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Why waste time with a lightsaber hilt when they could be working on making a portable Death Star. You know for the kids.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Judge me by my lightsabre do you? And well you should not because the force is my guard and a powerful guard it is. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    The manner in which the "blade" is produced requires focusing crystals and hence would prevent any effective guard being produced in energy like the "blade".
    They couldn't have another set of crystals and blades of light going in another direction?

I'm telling you, if I made a lightsaber, it would be better.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    They couldn't have another set of crystals and blades of light going in another direction?

I'm telling you, if I made a lightsaber, it would be better.
    If you could swordfight at that level do you really think that the handguard is going to be a major concern? Besides the whole thing of one lightsabre wielder versus another is very rare. Why design a weapon today to fight a tyrannosaurus when there are none around?

Besides trying to fit more focusing capabilities into one weapon when the crystals themselves are rare and each wielder attunes himself to the crystal, kinda all stacks up to be a bit more hassle than it's worth when most wielders can stop a blade with mere thought.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Of course, it would not be a lightsaber then.
    It would be a black light. All the Jedi will have funky colors when they fight!

MBTI
    INTJ

I need to make the second one, though.

Jar'Kai, peoples.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Lightsabres are energy weapons and hence would not slide down each others "blade".
    Thank you.