User Tag List

12 Last

Ginkgo

Default Learning Vocabulary Thread!

I believe that broadening one's vocabulary is essential when communicating. It allows the speaker to specify and enunciate, given the listener can understand. How do we increase our vocabulary? Reading and processing! I would like for you to find 1 practical word in a dictionary or thesaurus and then create 2 or 3 sentences with the appropriate context. I will start...

In`fe`cundi`ty
    n. 1. Lack of fecundity or fruitfulness; barrenness; sterility; unproductiveness.

"The infecundancy of the road trip was so great that I decided to bring more money next time."

"The rotting pecan tree withered in infecundancy."

"King Arthur returned from his infecund crusade without the Holy Grail."

MBTI
    INFP

fetid (adj) -- having a stale nauseating smell, as of decay

Thumbs down Increase Your Word Power

English is irregular because each word contains its own history.

So we can learn the history of English by learning Ancient Greek, Latin and German and other languages.

Even English grammar is an overlay from Latin.

But short of learning Greek, Latin and German, English can be learnt by reading widely and deeply.

And English contains many more words than any other language. So English is perfect for subtlety of expression.

Unfortunately the revolutionary, American lexicographer, Noah Webster, sought to neuter English by regularizing the words.

He was very successful with his American Webster's Dictionary and having his bowdlerised and castrated English taught in all American schools.

You only have to read these posts to see the difference between English and American English.

Unfortunately American English cuts Americans off from their history. And that is its purpose.

And Americans speak their truncated language with all the pride of an obedient child.

Vocabulary is an infallible sign of intelligence, so if you have high intelligence you will automatically learn new English words all the time.

However the rest of us are limited to the Readers' Digest, "Increase Your Word Power".

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Vicissitude. I like that word.

On a less weird note, I've been using bemused and disconcerting a lot.

MBTI
    ENTP

Dodecatemory
    A tern applied to the twelve houses, or parts, of the zodiac of the primum mobile , to distinguish them from the twelve signs; also, any one of the twelve signs of the zodiac.

I would like for you to prove that broadening one's vocabulary is necessary for communicating. Some people have a very basic vocabulary and seem to get through life.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
    I would like for you to prove that broadening one's vocabulary is necessary for communicating. Some people have a very basic vocabulary and seem to get through life.
    A man walks into the gardening department of a supermarket and asks "May I have a package of tree seeds?"

The clerk withdraws into the back room and comes back with a small bag of orange seeds.

The man says, "This is not what I asked for".

The man intended to purchase apple seeds, but because he did not know the word "apple", he could not specify to communicate clearly.

And so, the world adopted the Latin language for taxonomy and pharmaceuticals; establishing a universal mode of communication.

But when the Japanese implemented their katakana alphabet, confusion about specific medications ensued; and some unfortunate souls lost their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
    People could go through life without literature, art, music, and a number of other experiences many of us take for granted.

I personally enjoy a large vocabulary. I enjoy the precision some words can have. Synonyms are not exact.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunward View Post
    People could go through life without literature, art, music, and a number of other experiences many of us take for granted.
    True, but what a dull and unfulfilling life it would be! Lacking richness and meaning. I wouldn't hope that for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    True, but what a dull and unfulfilling life it would be! Lacking richness and meaning. I wouldn't hope that for anyone.
    That's exactly my point