User Tag List

MBTI
    enfp

Default Is it Possible to Make a Video Game that will Attract Majority Female Players?

just wondering... does anyone have any thoughts on that subject?

is it possible to make a video game that will like make women as excited about that video game as much as it traditionally does for guy video game players? or is that just impossible?

thoughts?

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I'm not really a video game player. The game I play is Sims, and I know many women that prefer that over men. I'd go with something with those sorts of concepts. Or possibly a female lead.
    6w7.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

There have been a few games popular amongst female. The various incarnations of The Sims have already been mentioned. "The Longest Journy" was also popular with them, as I recall. I actually quite enjoyed it myself, as it maade a change from blowing things up or hacking them to pieces with a sword - although that is fun too..

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Aerithria View Post
    The reasons people play games also tends to have a gender skew. EQII, the game mentioned, has traits that cater to an older female crowd (plus it's been around for years, and most of the younger males seem more apt to leap off to the Next Best Game). While females are good at the game itself, there is also a focus on role-playing and socialization/connection, whereas a lot of younger guys are into the "game/max the system" and accumulating personal power via levels and gear.

I am playing Dragon Age right now, which definitely has the typical "game trappings" but also has some wonderful character dev and dialog and plot twists. I've just been used to MMOs for so long, it's odd and a little disappointing to be "alone" in the game.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member tastes_like_purple's Avatar
    MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram

I'm not into games but i do go through random phases where i get addicted to The Sims I love that game
    A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes,
    I screamed aloud, as it tore through them,
    and now it's left me blind...

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The reasons people play games also tends to have a gender skew. EQII, the game mentioned, has traits that cater to an older female crowd (plus it's been around for years, and most of the younger males seem more apt to leap off to the Next Best Game). While females are good at the game itself, there is also a focus on role-playing and socialization/connection, whereas a lot of younger guys are into the "game/max the system" and accumulating personal power via levels and gear.

I am playing Dragon Age right now, which definitely has the typical "game trappings" but also has some wonderful character dev and dialog and plot twists. I've just been used to MMOs for so long, it's odd and a little disappointing to be "alone" in the game.
    Ah, good point. Genre is probably also key: you tend to see more women playing fantasy games or RPGs (MMO or otherwise) than FPS games, which is a genre typically dominated by male players.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]