123 Last

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Default Beautification 101

A couple of people asked me the other day about makeup so I am going to share my favorite things to use. I find that if you have the right tools to work with in any profession then you'll be a success!
    MAC's Prep+Prime
    MAC's Studio Fix powdered foundation
    MAC's powdered blush in Prism
    MAC's eyeshadow base- This will keep your eyeshadow from wearing away and prevents any creasing.

I use brushes like these to apply shadow to the eyelid.

This one is for blending colors.

I use MAC's shadows as eyeliner. To apply the shadow as liner you'll need an angle brush like this one.

I love MAC's lipliner in Spice with a neutral lipcolour. I also love their Lipglass (lipgloss) in Oyster Girl.
    I like Maybelline Waterproof Mascara's.
    MAC's Fix+ This sprays on after you are finished applying everything to set and give your makeup and skin a nice healthy glow.

I mix and blend everything from foundation to eyeshadow to lipcolour! Blending is key imo.

Sorry I can't recommend other brands, I'm a MAC girl!

It is not necessary to spends tons of money on brushes! I found some great brushes at Walgreen's not long ago and Target has Sonia Kashuk makeup brushes as well.

I would love to hear other recommendations and product raves for those of you willing to share
    Last edited by Tigerlily; 11-19-2007 at 02:15 AM.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Here are some "Makeup for Dummies" question:
    - When you use an angle brush, is there any particular location of the eye you should start and/or direction to go in?
    - How do you blend colors? (Like where you do put each color? How do you blend them? Are there are rules about what types of colors to blend? And so on?)

(I am assuming it's okay for me to admit how clueless I am!)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Question:

What is the difference between concealer, cover up, and foundation? Can they all be in powder or liquid form? I am so confused with this stuff, and I own at least 3 things, not knowing "officially" what they are for.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

How can I create the "smoky eyes" look without looking slutty? Is there a certain color I should be using for blondes with pale skin? My eyes are almond shaped...is there some kind of special trick? I've tried putting goldish white shadow on the very inside corner of my eye to make it look right....it didn't work! Any tips?!?
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Here are some "Makeup for Dummies" question:
    - When you use an angle brush, is there any particular location of the eye you should start and/or direction to go in?
    - How do you blend colors? (Like where you do put each color? How do you blend them? Are there are rules about what types of colors to blend? And so on?)

(I am assuming it's okay for me to admit how clueless I am!)

The Five Easy Steps To Precision Eyeshadow Application
    The above site give great tips on how and where to apply shadow and liner. They also show the brushes that I like and how to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Question:

What is the difference between concealer, cover up, and foundation? Can they all be in powder or liquid form? I am so confused with this stuff, and I own at least 3 things, not knowing "officially" what they are for.
    Concealer and cover up are the same thing imo. I prefer a creamy concealer as it doesn't tug on the eye area when appying it. I also sometimes use concealer as an eyeshadow base. Foundations can be in powder or liquid form. Powdered foundations usually provide more coverage although there are some that are cream/powdered foundations that are too heavy imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    How can I create the "smoky eyes" look without looking slutty? Is there a certain color I should be using for blondes with pale skin? My eyes are almond shaped...is there some kind of special trick? I've tried putting goldish white shadow on the very inside corner of my eye to make it look right....it didn't work! Any tips?!?
    I found this on youtube and the end result is pretty nice YouTube - Sandy's Basic Smokey Eye I recommend if you are going to do smoky on your eyes to keep your lips fairly neutral. I also like browns and beige colors.
    Last edited by Tigerlily; 11-19-2007 at 02:17 AM.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

hopefully that is as easy as she seems to think it is. What I have to wonder though if there are other colours that can be used? Such as silvers and charcoals

what colours are good to use for a smokey eye ???
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

Wow that was a really great link Jen thanks. She did a couple of things I've not yet tried... (including putting the eyeliner between your lashes-who would have guessed?). That could've been what I was missing! I tried liquid eyeliner a few times and it looked terrible. I want to look 'mysterious' not 'hey wanna jump in the sack with me?' you know. I should probably lose the heavy gloss...you're right.

*I also have a fondness (well jealousy) for women who can wear vibrant colors and it looks good. I've always wanted to wear a rich wine color shadow with the sparkly light shadow on the brow bone...unfortunately I end up looking like a clown*

Thanks for your help. (It's cool having an expert!)
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

Enneagram
    1w2

GOD BLESS THIS THREAD!

Jen, I've been so wanting to start a thread like this, but I was like, eh.

When are you going to get into contouring?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

oh and I should mention while I LOVE purple i have only been able to find 1 purple shaded eyeliner that I am NOT allergic to and they have discontinued it *sigh* I should call and see if they have more at the factory and then just order a couple.
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    There's an excellent series of palettes by Mally Beauty. She makes putting together a smokey eye foolproof. The shadows, and the packaging is sturdy.

Also, I like MAC just fine, but the Spice liner is way too orange on my pale, cool-toned skin.

I... suppose. Yeah!