User Tag List

Page 302 of 348 FirstFirst ... 202252292300301302303304312 ... LastLast
Results 3,011 to 3,020 of 3480

Thread: What made you happy today?

  1. #3011
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cellmold View Post
    Don't know about happy, but it made me laugh.

    My mum mentions to me that we have an infestation. I follow her and it turns out that ladybugs have been crawling into the corner of their bedroom. The best part is that apparently these aren't "our bugs" they are "foreign bugs".

    She was deadly serious.

    People...these foreign bugs are stealing the corners of our bedrooms.

    #Britishladybugsmatter

    Asian ladybugs (Asian lady beetles)? They've gotten real common across the last 15 years, and they're pretty much in every part of the US by now. See this Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonia_axyridis

    You see them in the fall when they come indoors to winter. Then you get them again the spring when they try to find their way back out to nature. They're particularly attracted to light-colored houses.
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

  2. #3012
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YUI View Post
    Asian ladybugs (Asian lady beetles)? They've gotten real common across the last 15 years, and they're pretty much in every part of the US by now. See this Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonia_axyridis

    You see them in the fall when they come indoors to winter. Then you get them again the spring when they try to find their way back out to nature. They're particularly attracted to light-colored houses.
    Thanks for the information.

    Those look like the ones. Also found this: BBC News - Ladybird spotting: British v foreign bugs I'm going to take a look now.

    *EDIT* Seems we have a mixture of the Orange Harlequins, which are killing the other ones, and the Two-Spots which according to that article are the smallest and most at risk from the large Harlequins.
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"


    … a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

  3. #3013
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cellmold View Post
    Thanks for the information.

    Those look like the ones. Also found this: BBC News - Ladybird spotting: British v foreign bugs I'm going to take a look now.
    One big indicator about Asian ladybugs: When you mess with them, they leave a yellow spot and give off a slight unpleasant odor. So you can't just squash them, or you'll have small yellow stains on everything. From the Wiki link: These insects will "reflex bleed" when agitated, releasing hemolymph from their legs. The liquid has a foul odour (similar to that of dead leaves) and can cause stains.

    IOW, if you squash them, they bleed from their knees and stain your wall or curtains with yellow spots.
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

  4. #3014
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YUI View Post
    One big indicator about Asian ladybugs: When you mess with them, they leave a yellow spot and give off a slight unpleasant odor. So you can't just squash them, or you'll have small yellow stains on everything. From the Wiki link: These insects will "reflex bleed" when agitated, releasing hemolymph from their legs. The liquid has a foul odour (similar to that of dead leaves) and can cause stains.

    IOW, if you squash them, they bleed from their knees and stain your wall or curtains with yellow spots.
    Yeah my mum wanted to squash them, I suggested we collect them up.
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"


    … a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

  5. #3015
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cellmold View Post
    Yeah my mum wanted to squash them, I suggested we collect them up.
    Yeah, some people vacuum them up with a stocking tied inside the hose to collect them. (The Wiki article describes this method.) I just have a few bugs now and then, so I scoop them up with a piece of cardboard, drop them in a coffee cup with an inch of water in it (they can swim but can't crawl out), then throw out the contents of the coffee cup outside.

    To solve the problems in later years: Seal around windows; consider painting the house dark; or consider taking off shutters around windows (the bugs are attracted to shutters as a spot to winter, then the heat from the windows causes them to crawl inside through cracks).

  6. #3016
    Biting Shards Array Dr Mobius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    STYX
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    699

    Default

    I received a series of unexpected messages from a super awesome person.
    Even when the sun is shining, I can't avoid the lightning Oh, where did the blue skies go? And why is it raining so?

  7. #3017
    LL P. Stewie Array Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,513

    Default

    Finally killed a fly that had been around the house for two weeks.


    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it
    Likes Petrahygen liked this post

  8. #3018
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,637

    Default

    That English professor that likes me for my writing talent was all hyper today. She said hello to me right as we entered the room.


  9. #3019
    hyggelig Array EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    16,959

    Default

    Free food!
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Kas liked this post

  10. #3020
    Be Concerned - TØP Array themightyfetus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    When all else fails, I know someone on the internet cares. And it's comforting.
    I don't mean to pry, but why would you even make the eyes?


    6w7-2w3-9w1
    Likes EJCC, Lark liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. What made you laugh today?
    By Amethyst in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 569
    Last Post: Yesterday, 08:15 AM
  2. I am so happy, I wish you could feel how happy I am
    By prplchknz in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-13-2016, 02:01 AM
  3. Mistakes you've made today
    By Giggly in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 10-27-2012, 07:22 AM
  4. What the hell is with today, today?
    By Nijntje in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 09:36 AM
  5. Something that made you smile today
    By streetlightfancy in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-19-2011, 01:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO