User Tag List

View Poll Results: I like my women

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plain Jane- No makeup whatsoever

12 16.90%
  • Natural- A little blush, gloss and mascara

27 38.03%
  • I like makeup as long as it's applied correctly and she doesn't look like Courtney Love

19 26.76%
  • The sluttier the better! I love Pammy Anderson!

3 4.23%
  • Other

10 14.08%
First 67891018 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    You hinted that they were being dishonest (purposely?) and unreliable among other things by simply wearing makeup. I say again, it's really not that deep.
    Yes, I was saying that for many it did seem a little dishonest, but just a little.
    I kind of thought these flaws were regularly observed in real, non-imaginary people, and it just doesn't seem like that much of an insult to me.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Yes, I was saying that for many it did seem a little dishonest, but just a little.
    I kind of thought these flaws were regularly observed in real, non-imaginary people, and it just doesn't seem like that much of an insult to me.
    For what it's worth Magic, I didn't find it so much that you were insulting women who used makeup.

As a woman, I have to say, I appreciate someone who truly accepts women for who they are - despite our flaws. I respect the fact that you prefer women with no makeup over those who do wear makeup. It's hard enough for women to live up to society's standards, I think it's great you accept us without makeup - one less thing for us to worry about!
    Sorry for any typos, spelling or grammer errors but I'm a bit preoccupied planning my wedding.
    Or if you want to read more about me and help me gain more insight to your world (I do need more experiences in life), feel free to skim through my blog.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Is it also dishonest to wear clothing that hides your body's flaws and accentuates your body's best features?

And Niffer, some makeup is actually good for your skin. The new mineral stuff is a natural sun protectant. It also doesn't look like makeup.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nonpareil View Post
    For what it's worth Magic, I didn't find it so much that you were insulting women who used makeup.

As a woman, I have to say, I appreciate someone who truly accepts women for who they are - despite our flaws. I respect the fact that you prefer women with no makeup over those who do wear makeup. It's hard enough for women to live up to society's standards, I think it's great you accept us without makeup - one less thing for us to worry about!

Well, at least I have both people from point and counter-point giving me some lovin'.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nonpareil View Post

I appreciate it too-- but I appreciate my husband's attitude more, which is "you look beautiful to me without makeup, but it's not a character flaw if you like to wear it sometimes."

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Is it also dishonest to wear clothing that hides your body's flaws and accentuates your body's best features?
    Well, sort of. One might argue that it's secretive to wear any clothes at all, but of course, society wouldn't let it be any other way.
    Once again, I will also repeat that I don't have a problem with trying to be artistically beautiful. I just don't like it when people try to pass-off looks that imply something that isn't real. Like a toupee for guys.

How do I explain this? You seem to think that I'm describing women as conscious schemers trying to fool the world. This is really a very different kind of dishonesty. I want to go back to the word "insecurity", because I think that's where this comes from. I think women feel pressured into wearing a mask, and I'm not angry about it. I'm kind of sympathetic.

It should also be kept in mind that I'm only talking about what I prefer in a girl. It's not like I think less of any of you just because you do wear make-up. I think green eyes are prettier than brown eyes, but it's not like I consider brown-eyed people lesser citizens or something.
    Last edited by Magic Poriferan; 11-17-2007 at 02:30 AM. Reason: typo
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Well, sort of. One might argue that it's secretive to wear any clothes at all, but of course, society wouldn't let it be any other way.
    Once again, I will also repeat that I don't have a problem with trying to be artistically beautiful. I just don't like it when people try to pass-off looks that imply something that isn't real. Like a toupee for guys.

How do I explain this? You seem to think that I'm describing women as conscious schemers trying to fool the world. This is really a very different kind of dishonesty. I want to go back to the word "insecurity", because I think that's where this comes from. I think women feel pressured into wearing a mask, and I'm not angry about it. I'm kind of sympathetic.

It should also be kept in mind that I'm only talking about what I prefer in a girl. It's not like I think less of any of you just because you do wear make-up. I think green eyes are prettier than brown eyes, but it's not like I consider brown-eyed people lesser citizens or something.
    Let me underscore that 1) you haven't hurt my feelings or anything, and 2) I'm not miffed about you stating your opinions. I do enjoy analyzing stuff to death, though. (Debate in the Fluff Zone, woohoo!)

Having said that, are you also sympathetic with women who dress in the most flattering styles for their figures? If you're overweight should you dress in a way that makes that clear, just so nobody is surprised to find out you've got a belly? (I doubt you do think this, which is kind of my point- the makeup thing is really not different.)

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Having said that, are you also sympathetic with women who dress in the most flattering styles for their figures? If you're overweight should you dress in a way that makes that clear, just so nobody is surprised to find out you've got a belly? (I doubt you do think this, which is kind of my point- the makeup thing is really not different.)
    I don't think you should draw attention to being fat, but I'm not pleased by attempting to hide it either. Why does the whole courting process have to be filled with so many insincere pleasantries?

If it's really so important to a woman's feelings to doll herself up, then fine, she can, but I think things would be easier if seeing was believing.
    I also think it would be easier if people behaved naturally and declared what they wanted. All the games and all the rituals... I really hate it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP

Default loving the alien...

I grew up very insecure, and I experimented early on with make-up, because I had a horrible complection. Yes, I would equate it to that I wore a mask to hide who I really was.

Since I have worried about skin cancer, especially since my 20s, I rarely go out in the sun; I don't sunbathe unless I have a chance to go out to the beach (once a year?)

Today, I still enjoy putting on make-up, but I am so much more happier with the way I look and who I am, so it all depends on how I feel that day; do I want to put just eye shadow and mascara, or do I feel like getting more dolled up?

It mostly depends on what I plan to wear and what is going on at work.

Thankfully, I try to wear make-up that enhances what I already have.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

This term, "dolled up," makes me chuckle a bit because for most women I know, that is SO NOT the point most of the time. I can't even tell when they've got it on usually. It's just an extension of their grooming habits, like keeping the brows plucked and the fingernails trimmed and such. For me there is definitely also a health consideration- the powder I use is a sunscreen as well as a cosmetic (I'm rocking a handful of risk factors for skin cancer). It's not about getting "dolled up." I know I'm not the only one that approaches it that way.