User Tag List

View Poll Results: I like my women

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plain Jane- No makeup whatsoever

12 16.90%
  • Natural- A little blush, gloss and mascara

27 38.03%
  • I like makeup as long as it's applied correctly and she doesn't look like Courtney Love

19 26.76%
  • The sluttier the better! I love Pammy Anderson!

3 4.23%
  • Other

10 14.08%
First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I don't think wearing makeup prevents anyone from having these traits. Unless you view wearing makeup as being dishonest?
    As someone said before: "Makeup is a form of deception. Women go out everyday hiding who they really are, lying about what flaws they do have."

It's not a matter of art or not. If you need to have makeup on everyday, regardless of how little or natural it may be, you are lying about what you do have. If the makeup you have on is so natural that you can't tell, it just means that either you don't need it or that you are very good at lying about what flaws you do have. So you can't say that someone who spends hours and money making themselves up every day is not trying to hide what they have.

I think most women who wear makeup are comfortable with their looks. Just because a woman wears makeup doesn't mean she's insecure or hiding something. Makeup can also enhance what's already there. And as Pinkpiranha and Jen already pointed out, makeup is art form and the canvas is the human body. Just because you think it's a waste doesn't mean it is.
    I beg to disagree, in my family (aunts, cousins, mom and sister), all of them spend hours (and I mean hours) in front of the mirror before they go out. I know they are insecure with their looks because they literally refuse to see anyone if they do not have their makeup on. My mom and sister has refused to go out or refused people in the house without them having had time to get ready. They even admit, they would scare friends/family away if they didn't make themselves up!

If a women isn't hiding anything...tell me, why would she put on makeup everyday. I understand trying to emphasize something on special occasion but everyday? What does she have to cover up all the time?

Makeup can be an art, but not for everyday purposes. Makeup artist are needed for plays, shows, pictures, special events, etc. I think it would be a real pity if someone felt they needed to see a makeup artist on a daily basis.

Everyone envys models or movie stars, but it's amazing how "normal" they look without all the makeup and touchups.....

I prefer to see people for who they are, flaws or not - it's natural to have flaws and I think society to accept it instead of encouraging all that false beauty. It encourages low self image in young girls.
    Sorry for any typos, spelling or grammer errors but I'm a bit preoccupied planning my wedding.
    Or if you want to read more about me and help me gain more insight to your world (I do need more experiences in life), feel free to skim through my blog.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I don't think wearing makeup prevents anyone from having these traits. Unless you view wearing makeup as being dishonest?.
    I think a lot of it kind of is.

I think most women who wear makeup are comfortable with their looks. Just because a woman wears makeup doesn't mean she's insecure or hiding something. Makeup can also enhance what's already there. And as Pinkpiranha and Jen already pointed out, makeup is art form and the canvas is the human body. Just because you think it's a waste doesn't mean it is.
    First of all; I think most people who wear makeup are insecure to some extent, sort of proportional to how much they use.

Secondly; I already said I'm not as much against purely artistic cosmetics.

Thirdly; if I detailed everything that I considered a waste, I'd probably alienate 80% of this forum.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Here is a picture of me when I was about 14. Too bad thinner eyebrows weren't in style at that time.
    NooOoOooOoO! You're so.... 80's!!!!!!

*shields eyes, waves crucifix*

You look... really different. (Better, now, I think, though. )
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

I think make up should be a form of expression, not self defense. And while it gladdens the cockles of my heart to see so many guys chiming in to say that make up is overrated and that women don't need it, I beg to differ. Women shouldn't need it. But, to most people ( not myself), looks and first impressions are critical to them, and if a woman doesn't look "put together", they ascribe some form of slovenliness or inelegance to her. My first experience with this was in school - my mother wouldn't allow me or my sister to wear make up . We were attending a private school, and we caught absolute hell for the first semester - we were constantly getting put down, and ended up in fights. Over Christmas break, my mother decided we needed defense against the persecution, and allowed us to wear make up. The attitude change, especially of the guys , was profound.

Now, I'm not saying that women have to wear make up. But the truth is that women tend to have an easier time of it when they look "made up". Look how professional athletes foam at the mouth over cheerleaders. Those girls may or may not have fluff for brains, but it's suddenly irrelevant because she looks hot in body make up.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    if I wasn't already engaged to your sister...

*sings* " Yoouuur cheatin' heeeeaaarrrttt... will make you weeeeeeppp.... you'll try and trrrryyyyyyy... and try to sleeeppp...."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nonpareil View Post

I beg to disagree, in my family (aunts, cousins, mom and sister), all of them spend hours (and I mean hours) in front of the mirror before they go out. I know they are insecure with their looks because they literally refuse to see anyone if they do not have their makeup on. My mom and sister has refused to go out or refused people in the house without them having had time to get ready. They even admit, they would scare friends/family away if they didn't make themselves up!

Now hearing this really saddens me. There's nothing worse than feeling that you're a hideous eyesore. I used to feel that way, after my first hellish encounter with private school, and I spent quite a lot of time trying to look
    " perfect", and then to somehow maintain that torturous concept of perfection all day long. Needless to say, it didn't work very well. Strangely enough, after I was diagnosed with lupus and was too tired and in too much pain to put make up on, heck! to even brush my hair sometimes , I had to give up caring how other people saw me. In that way, it was a relief , although I wouldn't recommend degenerative illness as a cure for poor self image.

Maybe the ladies in your family need something to make them feel powerful? Something that would assert their sense of self, make them feel calm and beautiful inside.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    Maybe the ladies in your family need something to make them feel powerful? Something that would assert their sense of self, make them feel calm and beautiful inside.
    It happens when they become matriarch and can take it out on the rest of the family at that time.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Here I am without makeup. For the record I am fine with or without.
    What a pretty face!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    Now hearing this really saddens me. There's nothing worse than feeling that you're a hideous eyesore.
    That's the thing, they are beautiful and people have told them so, but yet they feel they need to wear makeup to be complete. They can't love themselves for who they are.

I used to feel that way, after my first hellish encounter with private school, and I spent quite a lot of time trying to look " perfect", and then to somehow maintain that torturous concept of perfection all day long.
    That is exactly what I'm talking about. Society tells women they need makeup when in reality they don't. Those who step outside of that are picked on until they can stand up and make a stance. I learned this when every year, for five years, the girl in high school that was voted as the most attractive girl for her grade was someone who never wore makeup. In fact, she rarely did anything with her hair except brush it and she usually was seen wearing jogging pants and a loose teeshirt or sweat shirt. She didn't think she was that beautiful, but she took very good care of her skin and she was really fit. Everyone in my school, saw past all that and saw that beauty. I remember, I realized then that the most important thing was the inner beauty and that was how I had the confidence to stand up and stop making myself up to others who felt I wasn't good enough. I've learned, you can't please everyone.

I think it is far more important that one takes care of herself and invest in good skin care products instead of applying all the harmful makeup. I spend money on sunblock and skin care products instead of makeup. I get compliments every day about how beautiful my skin is and I don't wear makeup.

Jen's pictures with no makeup is an example of how beautiful she truly is without the need of makeup.

Yeah Jen!

Needless to say, it didn't work very well. Strangely enough, after I was diagnosed with lupus and was too tired and in too much pain to put make up on, heck! to even brush my hair sometimes , I had to give up caring how other people saw me. In that way, it was a relief , although I wouldn't recommend degenerative illness as a cure for poor self image.
    I wish more people learned this, though, like you said, hopefully not from a degenerative illness. I'm sorry you have to go through what you did to gain the confidence to not make yourself up. I just wish people would pay more attention to their inner beauty instead of let others tell them what they should like. Hey, we aren't all perfect.

No, I think they have enough confidence, they just need to stop listening to other people and learn to stand up for themselves!
    Sorry for any typos, spelling or grammer errors but I'm a bit preoccupied planning my wedding.
    Or if you want to read more about me and help me gain more insight to your world (I do need more experiences in life), feel free to skim through my blog.

MBTI
    INtP

For me, it's pretty simple... a little bit's fine, but in general if I notice that a woman is wearing makeup, it's too much. While I do have (small) issues with the whole "hiding who you are" aspect, I think that for most people it's simply a harmless personal preference and not an indication of insecurity (Nonpareil's family, etc. excepted - that's pretty sad that they feel so bad without going to such effort and expense).

Most of my preference is probably due to the fact that my family and most of my adult friends have worn minimal if any makeup, so that "clean" look is more natural and appealing to me (and isn't a lot of makeup bad for your skin?). Seeing unnatural or accentuated colors and textures seems fake, and I can never quite get rid of the exaggerated mental image of Tammy Faye Bakker troweling globs of semi-flesh-colored muck from her face with a butter knife .