User Tag List

View Poll Results: I like my women

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plain Jane- No makeup whatsoever

12 16.90%
  • Natural- A little blush, gloss and mascara

27 38.03%
  • I like makeup as long as it's applied correctly and she doesn't look like Courtney Love

19 26.76%
  • The sluttier the better! I love Pammy Anderson!

3 4.23%
  • Other

10 14.08%
First 41213141516 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

(btw...I'm a male, and I do take care of my appearance too, and part of it is because I want to look better to the eyes of my girlfriend...I don't really see what's the problem?)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    (btw...I'm a male, and I do take care of my appearance too, and part of it is because I want to look better to the eyes of my girlfriend...I don't really see what's the problem?)
    I think the difference may be that makeup is an optional factor in "taking care of one's appearance." I take care of my appearance on the days I wear makeup as well as the days I don't. (And in my case it's not to look better to the opposite sex- the only one I care about doesn't care whether I wear makeup at all, and if you forced him to make a decision he'd come down ever-so-slightly on the "it's not necessary, you look great without it" side of the fence.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Cutting your hair, or cleaning yourself, or wearing contact lenses, these things are completely different.

Your hair is actually being altered by a haircut..
    Cleaning yourself.... doesn't even need to be defended.
    Contact lenses are okay because the glasses aren't a part of your face anymore than the contacts are.

All of these things can be decisions for your appearance, but they are not as deceptive in my opinion.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTP

Many women wear make up just for their own sake, nothing to do with wanting to attract the opposite sex. My mother for example, has been happily married for over 20 years and is completely in love with my step dad and has no intention of being unfaithful to him. But she wears make up every day, just because she likes to feel that when she goes out to face the world, it's looking on her as favourably as possible.

TBH it is pretty much a part of who she is though - she is a bright, vibrant and colourful person, so at her age, for her to not wear make-up and look dowdy, pale, grey and colourless - well, it just wouldn't seem like her at all.

How a person chooses to arrange their appearance is as much a part of who they are as their appearance without any 'additions'. Who they are is more than just their physical appearance - it's their personality. That's why people choose the clothes they do and the haircuts they do - and why they change sex!! (among other reasons) - because they like to make their appearance reflect their inner selves. It doesn't mean someone's being fake just because they wear lipstick, any more than a Nirvana fan wearing a Nirvana T-shirt.

So it was difficult for me to choose in the poll, because though if my sister made herself up like Courtney Love or Pamela, it wouldn't suit her and she'd look awful and contrived, I think that Pamela and Courtney look fine just the way they are with their chosen style, because that's just who they are, and I've no problem with who they are, so why have a problem with them choosing to express it externally?

I mean I used to date a woman who wore really gothy make-up, not unlike this (minus the nose-ring, she just wore a stud). But she looked fantastic with it, she really wore it, if you know what I mean? When she went to a christening once, I saw her put on 'vanilla' make-up and it just didn't seem like her at all, she seemed more fake and uncomfortable than with all the gothy stuff on.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Substitute makes a good point. It's all about what flows with you. Little or a lot. This is why some people love jumping off bridges and others prefer a night camping under the stars.

It is what's essentially "you".
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ENTP

Quite. I'd also like to add that the picky, fussy, demanding little princess FDG described is the kind of woman my ex would've bitch-slapped to hell and back - and she would probably have had a good bash at FDG as well and left him with a bruise or two - she was one tough wench, believe me!! Wearing a lot of make-up was with her, believe me, NOT a sign of a prissy li'l princess!! Mind you, with that style of make-up, you wouldn't think it was - would you??

I dunno... I'm kinda shocked by some of the responses in this thread so I don't know, maybe there are people out there who are so clueless and judgemental as to begrudge someone the right to express themselves in the way they choose to look.

If you're attracted to your girlfriend or wife because of her lively, bold personality, then don't expect to shut it up and keep it all to yourself by not letting her show who she is to other people. All it'll do is make her resent you - and hopefully, leave you and find someone who will appreciate her for who she is and let her be herself.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I dunno... I'm kinda shocked by some of the responses in this thread so I don't know, maybe there are people out there who are so clueless and judgemental as to begrudge someone the right to express themselves in the way they choose to look.

If you're attracted to your girlfriend or wife because of her lively, bold personality, then don't expect to shut it up and keep it all to yourself by not letting her show who she is to other people. All it'll do is make her resent you - and hopefully, leave you and find someone who will appreciate her for who she is and let her be herself.
    THANK YOU.

Case in point: I once dated a guy who knew what I was like, constantly changing my hair, doing crazy things with my make-up, painting my nails green, wearing whatever I felt like from cowboy boots to vinyl, and the moment we started dating he suddenly stopped liking my changes and put me into a box. I couldn't change ANYTHING without comment. To me, I was moving under standard operation and yet he was criticizing every change I made. I'd been in a constant state of flux since he met me. I was stunned and angry and yes, dumped him immediately because he was passing judgment on what came most naturally to me and that told me that he didn't get me at all.

I'd rather have the right to paint my nails green than have some self-involved Poindexter imposing his boundaries on me. Anything that makes me feel more ME just by being around it is what I like. People, things, you name it. Freedom.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    constantly changing my hair, doing crazy things with my make-up, painting my nails green, wearing whatever I felt like from cowboy boots to vinyl
    Heh, see, that's my kinda gal

If I'd been him, I'd have encouraged you and said stuff like "Have you tried blue hair? I think it'd suit you, go on, give it a go!"

MBTI
    ENTP

I've never heard of anyone stereotyping incessant make-up wearers as slutty. On the contrary, I think they're associated with a lower interest in sex- higher estrogen, uptight, etc.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Heh, see, that's my kinda gal

If I'd been him, I'd have encouraged you and said stuff like "Have you tried blue hair? I think it'd suit you, go on, give it a go!"
    hahahaha! I could have used the prompting! Where were you?! j/k

Funny story: I had waist-length hair with a "Rogue" stripe in it for years and I'd decided I wanted something a bit fresh so I did purple on the white parts. The next day, an ENTP friend of mine was out having a smoke, stopped, leant over to stare at me, blurted laconically, "Why purple?"

I said it was "outside my box". He nodded thoughtfully, disappeared in a cloud of smoke a minute, then said with a smile, "You look good in pink too." Next day: I'd overlaid the purple with shocking pink for a mimosa effect. I said "Thanks for the suggestion!" and he laughed. I liked that. I needed to hear I was good and still me in my many forms. He liked me best when I was white as a sheet wearing raccoon make-up and blood red lipstick, and he was from the rural South (NOT TYPICAL, let me tell you ).

I think people are afraid that they'll be obliterated if they alter themselves. When I got a mohawk, it was because I *needed* it. My long hair was dragging down my energy. Once time had passed for the mohawk, I shaved my head without a regret. I just can't imagine grudging anyone a needed change if it'll make them feel healthier.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code