User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you rather have a boring job or a stressful job?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Boring

11 47.83%
  • Stressful

12 52.17%
First 12

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Boring. I don't want work to occupy all my life. Not to mention the fact that a continuously stressful job means that you'll likely die of heart attack at 45. I don't think we can say that "stressful = busy". Stressful is stressful, it means that your job is full of situations that you can't solve but that you will be blamed of, the job security is extremely low, etc.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Stressful. I react to them by organizing my life and being excited - if it's very stressful, I organize more, but I know where my life is headed.

If I were in a boring job, I would react by keeping long lunch breaks, perhaps drinking alcohol, coming late to work, being depressed, inactive - it is much worse, even if it seems like less of a work for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

Fun story about stress, from RadioLab: there was a cardiologist who hired an upholsterer to repair his waiting room chairs. The upholsterer took one look at the chairs and said, "WTF is wrong with your patients?" All these people with heart problems were so stressed, they were literally sitting on the edge of their seats.

WNYC - Radiolab: Stress (February 11, 2005)

I'm on Team Boring. I have an extremely low tolerance for stress.

Ginkgo

Hmm... Too many variables to reckon with.

A job that promotes stress for the sake of stress is dubious. If I am stressed, I would want my energy to be poured into a satisfactory result. After the climax of stress is released, it would be preferable to rejuvenate and initiate a new process.

A boring job is likely to be mundane or under-stimulating. However, boredom is not the antithesis of stress; so we could concede that you may have both simultaneously. The rules of the OP state otherwise, so I'll bite.

I'd prefer flexibility. If I had to choose one - stressful. Boredom usually implies redundancy in my opinion. Of course, what is exciting for some may be meaningless to others. I also enjoy the freedom to impose stress upon myself. If the criteria was interesting and their were no external rules to abide by (rules that I disagree with), I would be in heaven.

Another day, another dream.

Quote Originally Posted by sofmarhof View Post
    Biofeedback is cool.

MBTI
    ENTP

Stressful!
    I thrive on stress

I mean 'stressful' in the ordinary meaning of the word - with deadlines, responsibility, high - and clear - expectations from your boss, promotion or demotion chance... bring it on.

I've been a researcher for a few years. Totally academic, nothing expected, no deadlines... nothing. The job was never done. I always felt like I could do better - and probably that was true too, 'cause I was procrastinating...

Now I'm a teacher with fixed lesson hours.

Stress? In my previous job I bit my nails. Now I don't do it any more...
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Stressful
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Stressful. I react to them by organizing my life and being excited - if it's very stressful, I organize more, but I know where my life is headed.

If I were in a boring job, I would react by keeping long lunch breaks, perhaps drinking alcohol, coming late to work, being depressed, inactive - it is much worse, even if it seems like less of a work for me.
    I was just like that in my last job. Minus the alcohol. Boring is a lot worse than stressful.

Stressful jobs are OK if I really believe in what I'm doing (and if it's possible to relax and get some sleep in between. NO SLEEP = ME MONSTER
    I have no sense of humour.