User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Make a wish for 2010

Wishes are too effortless. Aren't accomplishments more enjoyable when you worked for them?

Let things happen naturally, me says.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I've had this suggested to me a few times in the recent past. It is a possibility, but I doubt it. I see it as being an initial shock to our population, followed by us living like we did before industry for the rest of our lives. Nothing more special than that. It's not the old replaced by the new, it's the current replaced by the old. And I've never been one to romanticize pre-industrial existence.

The only bright side is, hey, the environmental crisis will be averted!
    Hmm. I doubt it will be either myself. For example I don't think we'll return to horse and buggy. Instead we'll head toward electric vehicles or maybe ultra-efficient combustion vehicles. However for this to happen the city of Detroit must be destroyed. (Not literally destroyed, just economically.) And that is just what is happening now, except Detroit is getting bailed out, so it will take longer than it should. But in the long run the big three in Detroit will either go out of business or find a way to be profitable after downsizing a lot. A new set of car companies will lead in providing for future transportation.

Now imagine that instead of this happening to just the automotive industy, it happens to almost all of the industries. It would look like a total industrial collapse. In reality it is just the old passing away and being replaced.

Remember that 5% unemployment is considered "full employment". This is because there are always going to be people between jobs even in a good economy. However, if a lot of industries were being replaced at once then the unemployment rate would go up because there would be a lot of people in between jobs. It might be that there is something better replacing the old, but it would look kind of scary while it is happening.

Now why would something like this happen? What new thing would possibly replace the old way? Well there are a variety of factors, but I think the biggest one is probably the internet. The internet is changing a lot of different business models by making things cheaper and/or more efficient. For example a few decades ago Sears was the king of retail, but now Walmart is the king of retail because almost everything is cheaper there. In a decade or so I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon or Ebay became the king of retail. Walmart would be really hurting and have to lay off lots of people, but in the mean time Amazon and Ebay would be really growing.

So that's kind of how I see it. Our economy is transforming, and that is why things look to be in bad shape right now. However you have a point about population being a problem. A population that is shrinking and/or lengthening in life expectancy does actually pose a serious economic threat. This is because while private industry has a lot of natural mechanisms for adapting to the economic environment, our government does not. So it's hard to say how the government will deal with the costs of social security, medicare, etc.... They might adapt too slowly to prevent a problem.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    My wish for 2010:

A fulfilling, secure, rewarding job where people respect me, appreciate my skills, and provide me with enough work to keep a comfortable standard of living as well as with opportunities to grow and learn.

INFj None

Intelligent healthcare reform in the US.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Unintelligent healthcare reform in the US.
    You can call me Charles.

Doesn't Read Your Posts Array Haight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Unintelligent healthcare reform in the US.
    That's not much of a wish since we already have that.

My wish: Better health.

My health went straight downhill this year (pulled abdominal muscle, buzzing in left ear that doesn't seem to want to go away, and constant indigestion). I need to turn it around.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."

Personal clarity.

That unicorns truly exist
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

A wish: having time to finish my novel. Actually finishing the thing and being able to start a new one!
    A good intention: actually using my free time to finish my novel.

(Okay - I'd wish for world peace, too... if it would help. I'm convinced that wishes don't do anything towards reality until you really work on them. Both my above wish and good intention have a possibility to come true.)
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Cat Wench Array ReadingRainbows's Avatar
    6w7 sx/sp
    IEI Ni

Worldwide Cuddling
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.