User Tag List

Page 6371 of 6782 FirstFirst ... 5371587162716321636163696370637163726373638164216471 ... LastLast
Results 63,701 to 63,710 of 67816

Thread: Random Thought Thread

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Why light rail is a fail:

Today I took the train to downtown Austin. Mostly, I just wanted to try it out and see how the logistics worked out, and I had a meeting downtown that was an excuse to try it.

It took 1.5 hours, each way. In light traffic, the drive is 20 minutes. In heavy traffic, it would be more like 45 minutes.

Included in that 1.5 hours is 11 minutes of driving just to get to the station (there are three stations within a 11-minute drive, the most convenient of which has essentially zero parking). The train ride is 40 minutes, the wait for the next train is 30 minutes, and the walk between the car parking and the train is about 10 minutes (huge parking lot). So I saved about 20-60 minutes of driving (still driving a total of 20 minutes, remember), and in exchange I spent 3 hours commuting instead of .75 - 1.5 hours of commuting.

The bus would take about 50 - 70 minutes.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes Tellenbach liked this post

breaking out of my cocoon Array SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Why light rail is a fail:

Today I took the train to downtown Austin. Mostly, I just wanted to try it out and see how the logistics worked out, and I had a meeting downtown that was an excuse to try it.

It took 1.5 hours, each way. In light traffic, the drive is 20 minutes. In heavy traffic, it would be more like 45 minutes.

Included in that 1.5 hours is 11 minutes of driving just to get to the station (there are three stations within a 11-minute drive, the most convenient of which has essentially zero parking). The train ride is 40 minutes, the wait for the next train is 30 minutes, and the walk between the car parking and the train is about 10 minutes (huge parking lot). So I saved about 20-60 minutes of driving (still driving a total of 20 minutes, remember), and in exchange I spent 3 hours commuting instead of .75 - 1.5 hours of commuting.

The bus would take about 50 - 70 minutes.
    I love the Dallas light rail system. So do the large number of regular users. It eliminates the high cost of downtown parking, the stress and randomness of DFW traffic, and is cheaper than driving. Timewise, it is dependable and costs no more than 10 minutes over a problem free commute (which is very rare), saves an hour over regular traffic for me.

The key factor is making the system large enough to be practical. Having just one or two lines is pretty worthless.

I have worked at locations less easily accessible to light rail and hated it.

And having traveled to many other major cities with well developed light rail and subway systems, I much prefer it to bus or driving.

Also, areas near light rail stations are in high demand from developers and would be residents, unlike like bus lines.

Of course, there were hugely popular and successful private light rail systems throughout the country until the oil, tire, and car companies conspired to close them down.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

deplorable basketcase Array Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

This is the Chinese solution to public transit:

Chinese Invent Futuristic Bus Cars Can Drive Through

This is real. A Beijing based company has invented a bus that floats above traffic with a stilts design. The bus straddles two lanes, allowing cars to drive under the bus. The land air bus runs on special tracks placed along the sides of the road.
    Someone invent a human carrying drone aleady.
    If bees did go extinct, we could always hire people to dress up as bees and pollinate flowers with tiny feather dusters. Sure it'd be more expensive, but there are also millions of idle teens.

Oɴᴇ Hᴇᴀʀᴛ Array Yamato Nadeshiko's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx

when i signed up for typologycentral dot com in december 2014 i didn't think i was going to end up playing diablo 2 with @Xann and @Sinclair life is full of surprises

knowing what makes us happy
    is sometimes the hardest thing to do
    Johari / Nohari
    6w7 9w1 2w1 - so/sx
    Phlegmatic - Melancholic
    Sensitive - Solitary - Serious
    Likes Xann liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Why do I have this irrational desire to dress and stand out differently even when I feel like crap?

I re-bought ray ban clubmasters (that gold shine man) and thinking of wearing full black with my X files shirt.

I'm going to be stared at again today *sigh*
    Why you looking for a harmony?
    There is harmony in everything
    It's a butterfly who waits for wind
    To fly away

If you're looking for a dream girl
    I'll never be your dream girl
    Living in the real world
    Looking for a dream girl

good, hot, fresh, fly ~ Array laterlazer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

I need a break
    So I made a sig. You know, to get all that identity ish...

MBTI: INTP(-A if you will)
    Enne: 5w6 // 9w1 // 2w3
    Inst Var: sp/so/sx
    Socionics: I'll get to that lil bish in due time but tested out as INTj a couple times.
    Aries for the fun of it.

He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I wonder if Donald Trump and antibiotic resistant bacteria will join forces to destroy civilization.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I wonder if Donald Trump and antibiotic resistant bacteria will join forces to destroy civilization.
    Is that what Republicans are called these days?

I'm watching carefully to see how the party and various members are rationalizing the implosion of their party, and possibly the country.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    269 sx
    Socionics
    IEI Fe

I'm still so fucking bitter over what happened. I'm still so bitter that I have to stay so good and pure while my heart is thrashed and dragged through barbs, just so some people can have 'revelations' about themselves, when truly they are so one dimensional and will never evolve above that of an ape.

#yaaaaassss

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    269 sx
    Socionics
    IEI Fe

Swallowing the memories, swallowing the cyanide.
    It tastes oh so bitter.

#yaaaaassss