User Tag List

Page 6312 of 6774 FirstFirst ... 5312581262126262630263106311631263136314632263626412 ... LastLast
Results 63,111 to 63,120 of 67737

Thread: Random Thought Thread

  1. #63111
    Healer-in-Training Array Morning Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    1,349

    Default

    Why am I always the one in my family who is asked to sacrifice my relationships with other people? Just because my best friend is connected to people who could further damage my sister's reputation, does not mean he's someone I can't trust! Whatever I have confided in him, he's told no one; and I do trust him with my life. If he were to ever betray me, then I'd have to cut ties... but that has never happened.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

    MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

    Likes geedoenfj liked this post

  2. #63112
    Fantasticality. Array Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    5,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I'm going to create a soft drink called Nurse Salt and have it stocked next to Dr. Pepper.
    Why not A.P. Salt?

    or Practitioner Salt?

    Fine.

    or... Master Salt? Get it? Eh? Eh?
    [Interviewer: "What was it like to be defined by being beautiful?"]
    Connelly: "It's uncomfortable to talk about - there's no way to come off right! If you say you are beautiful, you sound obnoxious, and if you deny it, doesn't that sound obnoxious?"

  3. #63113
    I like ice cream Array Enthusiastic_Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    1,239

    Default

    I lied. I didn't know what I was even talking about when I started that thread on being bored and saying I don't. I do get bored, and I get bored, HARD. Thing is, my sense of boredom comes purely from a lack of mental stimulation of the abstract kind. If I don't absorb anything that expands my mind or broadens my understanding of something for too long, I grow tired with the environment around me.

    Yaaa....I'm actually bored right now and I'm trying to find something on the internet that will blow my mind
    A mind wanders as does the soul

    "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams".
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

    "I or E: NF or ENTP, you'll always be ARET to me. Ambiverting, Rational thinking, Emoting, and Trailblazing since the 90's"
    -Cloudpatrol

    Love you Clouds!
    Likes Masokissed liked this post

  4. #63114
    breaking out of my cocoon Array SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    5,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    By this graph, I should be living in a house 3x the value of the one I'm currently living in, and I live in a nice house in a nice neighborhood in a seller's market. Perhaps the graph doesn't indicate what is available so much as how people are choosing to spend their money.

    I seem to recall, back when I was house hunting, that after giving my information for a mortgage loan, the bank was prepared to lend me twice as much as I believed would be wise for me to borrow. If we think in terms of double incomes in recent decades vs single incomes in the 70s, and the current prime interest rate being 1/3 what it was for most of the 1970s and 1980s, suddenly a house equal to 8 years salary vs 4 years kind of makes sense.

    Oh, and THIS graph is interesting:

    Daily chart: American house prices: realty check | The Economist

    Compare Houston/Dallas (I live in Austin) to the rest of the country. Also, the numbers in this set of charts for "Price to [median] Income" and "Price in Real Terms" seem to be a bit less dramatic than the chart you provide (select USA for aggregate). Places like New York and San Francisco look like your chart, but not the US in general, or Dallas or Houston in specific.
    I live in DFW. While my home is less than 2x my annual salary, I look at the home I grew up, which my parents bought right before I was born.

    It is in suburban SoCal, in a city that was orange groves until the 50s. They bought it for 24k. My dad never finished college and was making around 6k. Because of low cost of housing and in spite of his lack of education he was able to buy the house and a bunch of investment property not long after, never making great sums.

    The house today is worth $775k per zillow. On two incomes (rather than one) it is still 6x the combined household income for the area.

    Median wages in America have not gone up in 40 years. As per the Atlantic this week, most would struggle to pay a $400 unexpected bill. Many Middle-Class Americans Are Living Paycheck to Paycheck - The Atlantic

    Just because you don't recognize the problem doesn't mean it is real.

    Having kids in youth sports, I talk with parents every week. I meet two single mothers today, one a widow with one autistic son, another divorced after 31 years with a deadbeat ex and looking at foreclosure.

    I know young attorneys 3 year out of law school with 100k debt and never having had a real legal job. They worked as temp document reviewers making $24/hour when they get the jobs and they are happy to get that, because then they can pay their loans while living with parents.

    I know a 55 year old accountant whose job was shipped to Asia and is trying to get a job to teach bilingual Spanish classes. He has been mostly unemployed for the last 5 years.

    And the Texas economy is heading for shit with declining gas prices.

    People in their prime earning years are making less far less than their parents, adjusted for inflation. Add in massive student loan debt because they actually believed college was a way up in life.....

    You might have seen this video



    And here are some fun charts




    Of course, household income is misleading since we went from one income to double income households in the last 30 years.



    I have more.

    But the video tells the problem simply. The economic policies of the last 40 years have devastated much of the middle class and given the wealth to the .01 percent....

    The consequences are real, since we only have a few hundred donors supplying the vast majority of campaign contributions. Regulatory capture is the norm. Our billionaires don't pay much taxes anywhere in the world.

    And a woman who sold her office as Secretary of State, continuing a pattern of behavior of 40 years, is about to be president. And make things even better for the masters.

    We are a far cry from the most productive era in American history, the 50s, where the CEO made 10x or so the income of the lowest paid worker, where a kid from high school could get a job that he would never leave and be able to have a middle class life and provide for his children.

    There is a willful blindness on this issue for many. I know, I was there. Alan Greenspan masterfully sold his Ayn Rand utopian ideology (the market will regulate itself, no one would ever cheat, etc.) that has no relation to the world.

    Financial services are a leech on society and production is wealth creation, not the fraud of Wall Street.

    Housing price rising in the 90s and 00s gave some respite from the reality of stagnating income and the biggest redistribution of wealth scheme in world history. But then that exploded as well......

    So, again, the middle-class is worse off today, and no, they didn't all migrate to the upper class. Most people I know making $100k a year or more still struggle.... just not as badly as those lower down.....

    So, TLDR version: the country went from one to two incomes, plus high student loan debt.

    So, even in Dallas with its much lower wages than California, homes are much more expensive (and prices are currently running up a bit from this chart, btw), since your charts are household income. And a lot of people live in those high cost areas that you seem to want to dismiss. And Austin is a lot more expensive than DFW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

    -------------------

    Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

    9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

  5. #63115
    Happy Dancer Array uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    Just because you don't recognize the problem doesn't mean it is real.
    Look at how you are pulling from so many different sources. It's not an argument, it's a justification for the opinion you already have.

    I'm not saying that things are "good" right now. Far from it, and we probably agree on a lot of specifics (such as the outrageous cost of higher education these days). But if you don't understand more than a single narrative for what's going on - where alternative narratives are not couched in condescending terms - then you don't understand what's going on at all. You're a 9, right? You should get where I'm coming from.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

  6. #63116
    breaking out of my cocoon Array SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    5,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Look at how you are pulling from so many different sources. It's not an argument, it's a justification for the opinion you already have.

    I'm not saying that things are "good" right now. Far from it, and we probably agree on a lot of specifics (such as the outrageous cost of higher education these days). But if you don't understand more than a single narrative for what's going on - where alternative narratives are not couched in condescending terms - then you don't understand what's going on at all. You're a 9, right? You should get where I'm coming from.
    I see a bigger picture on this subject. It is a giant mosaic. It isn't just a simple argument, it is a complex one. Just saying, oh, affordability is the same on flyover country, ignores the reality of flyover country. You might have read the recent piece in National Review criticizing the working class, which serves as a nice example of the disdain of some on the right for regular Americans, a whole of which are supporting Trump.

    I paint big pictures on a huge canvas.

    But in the small picture, rents in DFW have doubled or more in the last few years. Some have tripled. My appraiser friends say it is mostly investors looking to expand their rentals.....

    I know your arguments because they were once mine. I believed in a lot of BS about libertarian economics. I believe now much of it to be fundamentally flawed today.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

    -------------------

    Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

    9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

  7. #63117
    Happy Dancer Array uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    I see a bigger picture on this subject.
    Nope nope. MY picture is bigger. So there!!!!

    Do you understand what I'm saying here?
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

  8. #63118
    ;) Array geedoenfj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    1,563

    Default Random Thought Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
    Why am I always the one in my family who is asked to sacrifice my relationships with other people? Just because my best friend is connected to people who could further damage my sister's reputation, does not mean he's someone I can't trust! Whatever I have confided in him, he's told no one; and I do trust him with my life. If he were to ever betray me, then I'd have to cut ties... but that has never happened.
    I used to say the same to my INFP sister and then turned out that I was right, and that the only friend that she had in years turned out way way worse that we ever thought, she caused us big damages and still do like no one did, my sister feels so guilty and keeps blaming herself for what happened..
    I don't know your friend or if your family's concerns are valid considering your sister's reputation, but if I were you; I would not ignore my family and just stay cautious about your friend (not necessarily cut them off) and not entirely trust them, sometimes other people can see things that we can't see from our positions.. Or they might be exaggerating or wrong about it who knows?! At least you stayed on the safe side and would not risk anything
    That's my opinion about it
    Work for a cause not for Applause
    Live to express not to Impress


    6w7 > 4w3 > 1w2

  9. #63119
    Fantasticality. Array Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    5,329

    Default

    Finished the X-Files original series.

    Now on to the second movie and series soon enough.
    [Interviewer: "What was it like to be defined by being beautiful?"]
    Connelly: "It's uncomfortable to talk about - there's no way to come off right! If you say you are beautiful, you sound obnoxious, and if you deny it, doesn't that sound obnoxious?"

  10. #63120
    I like ice cream Array Enthusiastic_Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    1,239

    Default

    So the videos posted by @whatever and @Hard got me interested in posting one of myself, but it just occurred to me, the only way to truly see what I'm like in my natural habitat is to see me interacting with other people. I could film myself talking to the camera, but the energy I feed off of from being around other people just wouldn't be present at all. Hmm...
    A mind wanders as does the soul

    "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams".
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

    "I or E: NF or ENTP, you'll always be ARET to me. Ambiverting, Rational thinking, Emoting, and Trailblazing since the 90's"
    -Cloudpatrol

    Love you Clouds!
    Likes Hard, Masokissed liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. [SJ] SJ Random Thought Thread
    By Giggly in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 622
    Last Post: 10-28-2016, 07:32 PM
  2. [NT] Random thought thread (NT version)
    By yenom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 10-22-2016, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO