User Tag List

Page 6288 of 6785 FirstFirst ... 5288578861886238627862866287628862896290629863386388 ... LastLast
Results 62,871 to 62,880 of 67843

Thread: Random Thought Thread

RIP Prince
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Retired Member Array
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII Fi

T-G-I-bloody-F.
    Likes Yamato Nadeshiko liked this post

Oɴᴇ Hᴇᴀʀᴛ Array Yamato Nadeshiko's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx

It said my signature was too long because of all the names I had in my signature of my "forum relationships" so I just turned it into an image and threw it in a spoiler tag lmao

knowing what makes us happy
    is sometimes the hardest thing to do
    Johari / Nohari
    6w7 9w1 2w1 - so/sx
    Phlegmatic - Melancholic
    Sensitive - Solitary - Serious

ggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Array Anaximander's Avatar
    MBTI
    mkgr

How is 47% a majority? That's a fucking plurality (a large plurality, and still not a majority). It annoys me when writers and editors makes these sort of mistakes. This probably should have gone in the rant thread.

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    How is 47% a majority? That's a fucking plurality (a large plurality, and still not a majority). It annoys me when writers and editors makes these sort of mistakes. This probably should have gone in the rant thread.
    Were they British? They use the term a bit differently.

ggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Array Anaximander's Avatar
    MBTI
    mkgr

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Were they British? They use the term a bit differently.
    Not sure, but the article was about an American primary election. Let me find that link.

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    Not sure, but the article was about an American primary election. Let me find that link.
    I think that's enough to justify your complaint. Maybe not if it's aimed at a UK audience.
    Likes Anaximander liked this post

He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I think I've just summarized an important tension in the human condition.

It borders tautological to say that if there is such a thing as morality, then there is a moral imperative to do the right thing. The good of the world depends on people trying to do be right, and do the right thing.

But people who think they are doing the right thing seem to have a greatly enhanced tendency to become ignorant assholes.

People who are ignorant assholes are rather impaired at doing the right thing.

But, of course, you can't avoid this problem by avoiding trying to do the right thing, because then you mostly like won't (the biggest factor in getting something done is trying). If that's the route you go, then you're just a lazy, cowardly, and unimaginative person who's forfeiting any chance to contribute to humanity so you can save face and keep your hands clean.

So we're all obligated to walk this tight rope. To try to be right, and do right, without letting it turn ourselves into ignorant assholes. It's tough.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post

It borders tautological to say that if there is such a thing as morality, then there is a moral imperative to do the right thing. The good of the world depends on people trying to do be right, and do the right thing.

But people who think they are doing the right thing seem to have a greatly enhanced tendency to become ignorant assholes.

But, of course, you can't avoid this problem by avoiding trying to do the right thing, because then you mostly like won't (the biggest factor in getting something done is trying). If that's the route you go, then you're just a lazy, cowardly, and unimaginative person who's forfeiting any chance to contribute to humanity so you can save face and keep your hands clean.

So we're all obligated to walk this tight rope. To try to be right, and do right, without letting it turn ourselves into ignorant assholes. It's tough.
    Morality is not monolithic. Moral dilemmas exist for this very reason: one is forced to weigh one good vs another. More specifically, there is much more to morality than being good and kind and fair, or "contributing to humanity" as you might put it. It is very possible that those to whom you would ascribe the phrase "ignorant asshole" are following a part of morality of which you are ignorant, and just because they aren't doing that small subset of things that you describe as moral, you believe that they are essentially immoral.

Your perspective would appear to derive from Kant's, so it has a strong pedigree, but Kant's approach is inherently flawed, as he reasons in terms of having an overall abstract monolithic morality, as opposed to how humans actually live and express their morality. Morality doesn't derive from reason; the reverse would in fact appear to be closer to the truth.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes MDP2525, SearchingforPeace liked this post

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post

There's probably a name for this specific bias, but it's basically a subset of the overconfidence cognitive bias. If you start to think you're really intelligence you become less critical of your thoughts and thus less intelligent, and if you start to think you're very virtuous you become less critical of your behavior.

The amount of "I'm rational, therefore what I'm claiming is rational" I see is immense, especially the type where people use superficial associations with rationality, like flat affect, to boost that sense that they're rational. I think people do similar a similar things with virtue signaling and get a false sense of reward for being virtuous out of it.

Obviously I now have to own up to doing all these things otherwise I start to look stupid and immoral

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Morality is not monolithic.
    I'm pretty sure he's talking relatively. Someone becomes an ignorant asshole by their own standards, or whatever group standards they're trying to follow. It works on any scale.

At least his point works relatively, even if he didn't mean it that way.
    Likes Reborn Relic liked this post