User Tag List

Page 6201 of 6782 FirstFirst ... 52015701610161516191619962006201620262036211625163016701 ... LastLast
Results 62,001 to 62,010 of 67818

Thread: Random Thought Thread

MBTI
    :}

Quote Originally Posted by /DG/ View Post
    Or at least believing that they are intelligent whether or not it is actually true...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Or I suppose this is kinder/broader.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Se

Oh look @EJCC, it's your most favorite thing ever!
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari
    Likes uumlau liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

We often forget that the spectrum of human intelligence is much broader than we experience here. Forums like this tend to attract people who are naturally curious (however naive and inexperienced). There is a difference between people who are smart, but not nearly as superior in intellect as they think they are, and people who just are of average intelligence or less, who would never even enter an arena where they might encounter the term "Dunning-Kruger effect", because their interests lie elsewhere.

Also, the Dunning-Kruger effect is much broader than just that study. In general, most people tend to evaluate themselves as more skilled than they actually are, even when they're very accurate when assessing others' skill levels. We're all hypocrites in this regard, necessarily blind to our weaknesses. So in general it's a bit of a cheap shot to bring up D-K in the first place, as we all tend to succumb to it from time to time.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes N/A, geedoenfj, Hard liked this post

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    eNfJ
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    No Fe isn't the abidance, it's the awareness and structure of how it all happens. You don't have bad Fe by not abiding them but by being socially ostracized will make you feel like you have bad Fe, makes sense?

Meh, because TJ's will complain in a more practical way.
    Totally dude. I am a fairly socially awkward Fe dom so I can relate to the feels. :P

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Oh look @EJCC, it's your most favorite thing ever!
    My nemesis... We meet again.
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Hard, Yamato Nadeshiko liked this post

MBTI
    :}

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    We often forget that the spectrum of human intelligence is much broader than we experience here. Forums like this tend to attract people who are naturally curious (however naive and inexperienced). There is a difference between people who are smart, but not nearly as superior in intellect as they think they are, and people who just are of average intelligence or less, who would never even enter an arena where they might encounter the term "Dunning-Kruger effect", because their interests lie elsewhere.

Also, the Dunning-Kruger effect is much broader than just that study. In general, most people tend to evaluate themselves as more skilled than they actually are, even when they're very accurate when assessing others' skill levels. We're all hypocrites in this regard, necessarily blind to our weaknesses. So in general it's a bit of a cheap shot to bring up D-K in the first place, as we all tend to succumb to it from time to time.
    Repped you something similar but I will post as well because... Why not- try to continue something I started for myself here. Work it out. Anyways.

Yeah I posted that initially half sardonically-remembering that it was 'human nature'-something psychology related- for people to have a tendency to overestimate their own abilities-in EVERYTHING, but that the study that I had read focused particularly on intelligence-
    - so yeah I just typed on google trying to find out just what that was- found dunning kruger- wasnt exactly right, but was close enough to sort of touch upon what I was thinking. So I posted it- but then sort of felt... That it was potentially unfair and somewhat insulting/undermining-of what was actually being discussed and added the second part.

Anyways, oh yeah. Absolutely a natural phenomenon. But I mean, I am not sure that I would limit it just to the self. I mean, I have not read any studies-or if I have-well I couldnt reference or use them or anything- but I would think that anyone that a person sees as-well holds considerable investment-projected possibly from the self sure-would be well, inclined to be seen under the same light. If only in the trait that person sees as important. But unsure. Just throwing that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    My nemesis... We meet again.

Muhahahahaha.

This user is always right Array geedoenfj's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Xann View Post
    this information is going to completely change your life, Lark. I've been observing you for some time now, your posts, your likes, your pet peeves, and all rationality indicates that you would absolutely adore David Icke
    Work for a cause not for Applause
    Live to express not to Impress

6w7 > 4w3 > 1w2
    Likes Xann liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Se

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post

I think it's still worth mentioning though. I don't think there is a single person on earth who has never succumbed to this at several points in their lives. The key difference is some people consistently do, and reject the notion when it's brought to their attention (though I'd argue that bringing it to their attention doesn't have the intended outcome the vast majority of the time).

It goes further beyond the forums though. A group I am part of has an internal chat program to work remotely, and we have side channels for just chitchat, one of them being for current events. We've recently been discussing that nearly all of us grew up in an "intellect bubble" by growing up in towns and areas where pretty much everyone is well educated and acheivement striving. Few are genuinely "dumb". As such when statistics are discovered, such as the literacy rate our reaction is "wait what? That can't POSSIBLY be true! There is no way that many people are that dumb". Stats are stats though.

It's... really, really disenharting. I want to live in my "everyone has good intentions and is smart" bubble damnit!
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari
    Likes an hero liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    It's... really, really disenharting. I want to live in my "everyone has good intentions and is smart" bubble damnit!
    This is adorable. And odd. Especially when you think the exact opposite most of the time.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Hard, Masokissed liked this post