User Tag List

Page 6180 of 6784 FirstFirst ... 51805680608061306170617861796180618161826190623062806680 ... LastLast
Results 61,791 to 61,800 of 67838

Thread: Random Thought Thread

I like ice cream Array Enthusiastic_Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Is there actually a right way to understand the functions?
    Well I guess not, but I fear what I thought was this function or that, was actually something entirely different. It's just how it all came together in my mind that made sense to me. Umm... Maybe I DO use Ti?? Haha jk.
    A mind wanders as does the soul

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams".
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

"I or E: NF or ENTP, you'll always be ARET to me. Ambiverting, Rational thinking, Emoting, and Trailblazing since the 90's"
    -Cloudpatrol

Love you Clouds!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiastic_Dreamer View Post
    Well I guess not, but I fear what I thought was this function or that, was actually something entirely different. It's just how it all came together in my mind that made sense to me. Umm... Maybe I DO use Ti?? Haha jk.
    Is there a problem with that?

The labels we give to something are far less important than the underlying ideas that are being processed, aren't they?

Sure, it would be nice to understand the system itself properly, but for what purpose?

I like ice cream Array Enthusiastic_Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

The labels we give to something are far less important than the underlying ideas that are being processed, aren't they?

Sure, it would be nice to understand the system itself properly, but for what purpose?
    Eh, I just prefer that everything fall into place when I'm tinkering with a new concept. I like to know how all the parts come together, and if there are loose ends, it bothers me. I'm always seeking out the "why?" in things. But is there a problem with having Ti? Not at all, it just means once again, I must scramble what I thought I knew, into something else if that's the case.
    A mind wanders as does the soul

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams".
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

"I or E: NF or ENTP, you'll always be ARET to me. Ambiverting, Rational thinking, Emoting, and Trailblazing since the 90's"
    -Cloudpatrol

Love you Clouds!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Eh, I just prefer that everything fall into place when I'm tinkering with a new concept. I like to know how all the parts come together, and if there are loose ends, it bothers me. I'm always seeking out the "why?" in things. But is there a problem with having Ti? Not at all, it just means once again, I must scramble what I thought I knew, into something else if that's the case.
    Alright. That would be frustrating, but of course doesn't make it a waste.

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm cold. I have to go to the dentist today at noon. Unexpectedly I have tomorrow off work, because daycare is closed and I'd forgotten about that. I have a job interview at 3 tomorrow so my husband will have to come straight home after work to watch the kiddo so I can go to that. I hope I get it. I need to make more money so we can move.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

I'm starting to think that what I know about the functions is all wrong... I wish someone had corrected me so I never had to reach this point in the first place
    Is there actually a right way to understand the functions?

The functions are necessarily "qualitative" descriptions of personality. Without a library of "qualities", any typology is going to fail. For example, you could have a full library of types of apples. If you don't actually go and taste each kind of apple, you will only have only the vaguest clues as to what the qualities really are, e.g., sweet, tart, crispy, etc. Similarly, with personality, if you don't pay attention to people and their various qualities, functions or MBTI or Enneagram simply won't make any sense. You can come up with "theories", but they'll not be very predictive because you haven't mapped the words that describe things to the human traits that people actually possess.

If you can put a typology into more quantitative terms, it starts to be sort of predictive, in aggregate, e.g., students at Caltech tend to be introverted intuitive thinkers (big surprise!), but not very predictive about people in particular (there is a LOT of variation among introverted intuitive thinkers). You actually need to know a lot of INTPs to know "what INTPs are like" and a lot of INTJs to "know what INTJs are like".

Same with the functions, whether Ni or Ti or what have you. With practice, you can just meet someone and think "That's an INFJ!" or "Clearly an ENFP!" Even then it is difficult. When I'm sure about someone's type, I'm pretty sure. But if I don't know them well enough, or they otherwise seem to hide their true selves, or they're from a distinctly different culture, all of these cloud the reading of personality and the predictability of personal behavior. Of these, I believe culture is the primary barrier. Culture will make people of all types behave distinctly differently.

So I'm not surprised that you have a gradually changing idea of how the functions work. The functions are a vocabulary, but you need to practice the vocabulary for a while to really understand what the words mean, kind of like learning a foreign language, where the literal translations often leave a lot to be desired.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes N/A liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Do you think I'm accurately typed, uumlau?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post
    I don't know you well enough. For what it's worth, INFP doesn't seem wrong, but that's because I'd actually have to interact with you in a significant way to be "really sure". E.g., there are some INFPs on here I know well enough to say, "Yep, INFP. Totally." There are also some INFPs on here that I'm pretty sure are INFJs, mostly because in order to get them to listen to me, I have to talk to them as if they were INFJ, not INFP.

Now, I don't go and tell those "INFPs" that they have their type wrong, though. They'd have to prompt the discussion about what I think, first. I just use it as a personal typing so I remember how to interact with them. Same for other people whom I consider to be typed incorrectly: it's not a matter for debate, but a matter for exploration and self-assessment.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes magpie liked this post

MBTI
    :}

Ok first of all- I need to stop asking questions that I don't want to know the answer to. I did that 4 seconds ago. Yay. Practice at NOT doing something. And/but now-

Part 2:

I DO want to know the answer to this question. And least well I don't NOT want to know so I will just ask... And leave what happens to it if anything up in the air

Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Ok first of all- I need to stop asking questions that I don't want to know the answer to. I did that 4 seconds ago. Yay. Practice at NOT doing something. And/but now-

Part 2:

I DO want to know the answer to this question. And least well I don't NOT want to know so I will just ask... And leave what happens to it if anything up in the air
    You want to know if I'm accurately typed?