User Tag List

Page 6177 of 6784 FirstFirst ... 51775677607761276167617561766177617861796187622762776677 ... LastLast
Results 61,761 to 61,770 of 67832

Thread: Random Thought Thread

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Admiral Crunch View Post
    I thought grits was like oatmeal or chocolate malt-o-meal the first time it a bowl was placed in front of me. I wondered why people were crumbling bacon on top of it and adding cheese, hashbrowns, etc. I said well, whatever, and then added sugar to it stirred it around and ate it. BLEH!
    no, no, no. the only things grits need are a little butter, pepper, and some more butter. everything else is just so...extra.
    Likes Grand Admiral Crunch liked this post

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I need to take an entire day to organize my Google Drive :P :P
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/
    Likes Lark liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I love Japanese Siri.

And British Siri as well.
    Why you looking for a harmony?
    There is harmony in everything
    It's a butterfly who waits for wind
    To fly away

If you're looking for a dream girl
    I'll never be your dream girl
    Living in the real world
    Looking for a dream girl

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I've been living in the South for ~4 years now, and I still can't bring myself to try grits.

Why is this a thing.

I did eat crawfish and frog's legs though.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

It's just a porridge made of ground corn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porridge

Porridge has been a staple food for humanity since ancient times, because most grains aren't edible directly. You generally have to grind and boil grains to make them even begin to be palatable, and that's porridge. More sophisticated methods of processing grains result in things like bread and pasta. In the case of grits, it was a staple food for Native Americans, since corn was their ubiquitous grain.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Admiral Crunch View Post
    I thought grits was like oatmeal or chocolate malt-o-meal the first time it a bowl was placed in front of me. I wondered why people were crumbling bacon on top of it and adding cheese, hashbrowns, etc. I said well, whatever, and then added sugar to it stirred it around and ate it. BLEH!
    Oh, wow, you so remind me of commenters on recipe blogs saying something like, "I took your recipe and changed it by adding <something awful> to it. It was horrible. Your recipe sucks."

You just did the equivalent of putting sugar on rice or a baked potato. It's doable, but both would need a lot more work to be palatable, such as mixing things up with cinnamon and other flavors that go with sweetness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    no, no, no. the only things grits need are a little butter, pepper, and some more butter. everything else is just so...extra.
    This works well, of course. Note that this works with any kind of porridge, as well as potatoes and rice and so on, which are also just raw starch without much flavor.

The point of putting on extra is to add to the (nonexistent) flavor, the same way you don't just buy crackers and eat them straight: you PUT STUFF ON THEM. Or you buy crackers that have some flavor added. Just crackers is like eating cardboard.

@Patches - three words; garlic cheese grits

You won't be disappointed.

Of course, garlic cheese rice or garlic cheese brocolli or garlic cheese potatoes or garlic cheese <anything that is starchy and doesn't have much of its own flavor> is pretty awesome. In general, adding fatty things (bacon, butter) or savory things (salt, bacon, garlic, pepper, spices) make it a yummy dish. If you'd do it with potatoes (smashed or baked) you can do it with grits.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Dope& diamonds. Array Dyslexxie's Avatar

Damn it you guys, I want grits. Where does one get grits in Canada?

(in)formation Array Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    872 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Dyslexxie View Post
    Damn it you guys, I want grits. Where does one get grits in Canada?
    Amazon

ETA: If you've got a bad craving, tho, you can substitute polenta. I feel like the Gods of Southern Cooking will come down on me for saying that, but grits are primarily a comfort food for me. If I'm making something nicer that calls for them, I'll typically sub polenta because its hominy but the texture is a lot smoother.

Also, grits with eggs and bacon mixed in is amazing. :3
    Likes Dyslexxie liked this post

Dope& diamonds. Array Dyslexxie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    Amazon

ETA: If you've got a bad craving, tho, you can substitute polenta. I feel like the Gods of Southern Cooking will come down on me for saying that, but grits are primarily a comfort food for me. If I'm making something nicer that calls for them, I'll typically sub polenta because its hominy but the texture is a lot smoother.

Also, grits with eggs and bacon mixed in is amazing. :3
    Oooh thanks! I always have polenta but I never thought of substituting. That's an awesome idea because besides online I don't think there's any place here that'd have grits.

I really like polenta and eggs and bacon and a bit of cheese. It's soooo good. Savory breakfasts > sweet breakfasts.
    Likes Wind Up Rex liked this post

Senior Member Array Grand Admiral Crunch's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Oh, wow, you so remind me of commenters on recipe blogs saying something like, "I took your recipe and changed it by adding <something awful> to it. It was horrible. Your recipe sucks."

You just did the equivalent of putting sugar on rice or a baked potato. It's doable, but both would need a lot more work to be palatable, such as mixing things up with cinnamon and other flavors that go with sweetness.
    It was just supposed to be a funny story about not understanding grits. It would've been more clear if I'd added the story about my Louisiana friend putting cheese on oatmeal, but I lost motivation. *sigh* ...Fifteen years after the first time I added sweetner to grits, I still wasn't over the idea that they needed sugar and tried it again Me eating grits just isn't meant to happen
    Likes uumlau liked this post

(in)formation Array Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    872 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Dyslexxie View Post
    Oooh thanks! I always have polenta but I never thought of substituting. That's an awesome idea because besides online I don't think there's any place here that'd have grits.

I really like polenta and eggs and bacon and a bit of cheese. It's soooo good. Savory breakfasts > sweet breakfasts.
    Preach, grrl.

Since you seem to appreciate Southern food, have you ever had fried chicken and waffles? It's savory and sweet in the best possible way.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Likes Ghost liked this post