User Tag List

Page 6090 of 6784 FirstFirst ... 50905590599060406080608860896090609160926100614061906590 ... LastLast
Results 60,891 to 60,900 of 67835

Thread: Random Thought Thread

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    There have been other strong female characters with scientific/ professional backgrounds: Dr. Beverly Crusher, Nurse Hathaway (ER), Colleen McMurphy (China Beach), Grace VanOwen (LA Law), but yeah.... Scully is probably the geekiest one.
    As a woman scientist, I can't say I have ever identified with any of them. I suppose Scully would have been the most likely, but I never watched X-files, and only learned much of anything about her recently, when someone mentioned her on another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    One really compelling thing about the character of Scully for young women was the reversal of the stereotypes- she wasn't "the emotional one" or "the heart of the operation," she was the fucking smart and honestly maybe a little bit robotic one of the pair, and a strong skeptic who was very intellectually demanding of Mulder. (Not that he wasn't smart also, I mean, that's one of the things that was so damn sexy about him.) Scully was a character who wasn't written as a "Strong Female Character," she was just a person, a really smart person, who happened to be a woman. For a lot of the show's original run, the character of Scully could have been played by a guy with very minor changes, although in the 90s that would have meant giving up a lot of the sexual tension that was fun about the show. (Nowadays that's not an impediment; people feel free to ship Sherlock and Watson to their hearts' content.)

I just really can't overstate how exciting that was to a lot of young women in the 90s, myself included- the idea that we could be people first, not written into corners because of our gender.
    Exactly. The best stories are written just about people. Make plots and populate them with characters. Then roll a die to see who is male or female. Make whatever small adjustments the plotline requires, then run with it. It is amazing and disappointing how commonplace those stereotypes remain, even given how many more women appear in dramas without a romantic focus.
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere
    Likes Ivy liked this post

Oɴᴇ Hᴇᴀʀᴛ Array Yamato Nadeshiko's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx

SCREAMING @ MY OWN PROCRASTINATION I DID THIS TO MYSELF

knowing what makes us happy
    is sometimes the hardest thing to do
    Johari / Nohari
    6w7 9w1 2w1 - so/sx
    Phlegmatic - Melancholic
    Sensitive - Solitary - Serious

I like ice cream Array Enthusiastic_Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Ohh @Coriolis your above comment made me think. I've been seeing this INTJ girl and she also just so happens to be in chemistry, got her doctorate recently and wants to get into lithium ion battery tech. Anyways, we seem to be meshing very well so far and each time we've met up it's been theoretical, abstract discussion and I absolutely love it! Totally satisfies my Ne "cravings" and thirst for big, unanswered life questions. But, sometimes I'd love to just be casual and enjoy life too, experience things, lose oneself. Typical "free-spirit" things. As a female INTJ in the sciences, how should I go about potentially bringing out the fun side of her and to just let loose? Or, is that appreciated? I'd hate to step over any boundaries with her too so I've been trying to feel her out and gauge the situation.

Much thanks!
    A mind wanders as does the soul

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams".
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

"I or E: NF or ENTP, you'll always be ARET to me. Ambiverting, Rational thinking, Emoting, and Trailblazing since the 90's"
    -Cloudpatrol

Love you Clouds!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I'm going to try to be robotic or without personality as much as I can:

Hi. I'm forever. I like learning about psychology. People are interesting to me. What do you find interesting?

Oh that argument is bad. I know another way to say it. Your friend doesn't know how to cook, so work with me here, your food isn't the best.

This ice cream is delicious, who knew vanilla can be amazing. I like sport cars when they are cheap and efficient.

I cannot sleep. I cannot believe why I would still be typing on this phone when I could be sleeping. But I can't. Boring. Will be awake tonight.

I don't know why. But there is a car being driven at night. It is painful to write like this. Ouch.

Where is your personality? I don't have one. Hah-hah. See you tomorrow.

Why you looking for a harmony?
    There is harmony in everything
    It's a butterfly who waits for wind
    To fly away

If you're looking for a dream girl
    I'll never be your dream girl
    Living in the real world
    Looking for a dream girl

Likes Enthusiastic_Dreamer liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Writing that graveyard post was GOOD.
    Why you looking for a harmony?
    There is harmony in everything
    It's a butterfly who waits for wind
    To fly away

If you're looking for a dream girl
    I'll never be your dream girl
    Living in the real world
    Looking for a dream girl

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

Guy from Fidelity finally called back (several weeks later). I set up an interview for next Thurs, but I'll probably be calling them back after my noon meeting telling them I accepted a position with another firm.

The early bird gets the worm as they say.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

breaking out of my cocoon Array SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Oh, the hypocrisy of Angela Merkel. ....

Spying for Me, But Not for Thee - The American Interest

While Germany was publicly fuming about the revelation in 2013 that the NSA was listening in on Angela Merkel’s cell phone conversations, it was secretly tapping those of top-level U.S. and U.K. diplomats.
    Every country spies.... to pretend otherwise or throw a fit is just silly. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Penguins. That is all.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/
    Likes Kas, Wind Up Rex liked this post

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

no I do NOT want to give you my account information, I would like to give you a piece of my mind because your website's crappy and I hate your phone tree

happily, I found that feeling annoyed and pushing # over and over takes me right to a person

unhappily, I was reminded that while annoyed I revert very slightly back to my native accent, which apparently makes me somewhat incomprehensible over the phone to non-native speakers (my state gets it's very own accent!)
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

(in)formation Array Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    872 sx/sp

I'm voting!!
    Likes miss fortune, Ivy liked this post