User Tag List

Page 6066 of 6782 FirstFirst ... 50665566596660166056606460656066606760686076611661666566 ... LastLast
Results 60,651 to 60,660 of 67815

Thread: Random Thought Thread

  1. #60651
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    MBTI
    eNfJ
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    me and organization of things on paper are like frosting and salmon... two things that really don't belong together
    That's what ISTJs are for...
    Likes miss fortune liked this post

  2. #60652
    scourge Array miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    19,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Protege View Post
    That's what ISTJs are for...
    I need more of those
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

  3. #60653
    Happy Dancer Array uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    me and organization of things on paper are like frosting and salmon... two things that really don't belong together
    Make special note of all the things that you do and have done that involved:
    1) earning a lot of money
    2) managing a lot of money
    3) responsibility for expensive equipment.
    4) anything that affects an employer's bottom line

    Why? Because just TALKING about a job as helping an employer make/keep/save money puts you and the employer on the same page. An employer wants to hire you not to "get work done" but to "make money for him". There is no reason for an employer to hire anyone who doesn't improve the bottom line. The problem is that it's really difficult to spot those potential employees that are worth what they're paid and more. By talking like hiring you will make the employer better off financially makes you shine above most other applicants.

    For instance, in my resume, I might have a line such as "Responsible for developing a $3 million software product every quarter." From what I've read of your employment, that might read, "Responsible for moving $3 million of product in and out of a warehouse." More or less. Basic sentence structure is "Responsible for <verb> <monetary amount> <object> <prepositional phrase>." This wouldn't be the entirety of the resume: there's always the boring stuff that if it were missing the resume would look fake. But these are literally the "money" sentences.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes miss fortune, Lethe liked this post

  4. #60654
    scourge Array miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    19,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Make special note of all the things that you do and have done that involved:
    1) earning a lot of money
    2) managing a lot of money
    3) responsibility for expensive equipment.
    4) anything that affects an employer's bottom line

    Why? Because just TALKING about a job as helping an employer make/keep/save money puts you and the employer on the same page. An employer wants to hire you not to "get work done" but to "make money for him". There is no reason for an employer to hire anyone who doesn't improve the bottom line. The problem is that it's really difficult to spot those potential employees that are worth what they're paid and more. By talking like hiring you will make the employer better off financially makes you shine above most other applicants.

    For instance, in my resume, I might have a line such as "Responsible for developing a $3 million software product every quarter." From what I've read of your employment, that might read, "Responsible for moving $3 million of product in and out of a warehouse." More or less. Basic sentence structure is "Responsible for <verb> <monetary amount> <object> <prepositional phrase>." This wouldn't be the entirety of the resume: there's always the boring stuff that if it were missing the resume would look fake. But these are literally the "money" sentences.
    that had not occurred to me somehow... and I'm responsible for some very expensive equipment and moving millions of dollars of product
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett
    Likes uumlau liked this post

  5. #60655
    Happy Dancer Array uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    that had not occurred to me somehow... and I'm responsible for some very expensive equipment and moving millions of dollars of product
    It's not obvious to most people. That's why it sets you apart. I've a few friends who run businesses or are managers. Most resumes are jokes to them. People do things like not following directions, not paying attention to details like reading the job notice and how it indicates to apply for the job. All sorts of stuff. Or they don't even spell words right, or make absurd claims that are obviously false, and so on and so on and so on.

    The money quotes I gave you are a huge bonus, but you need to cross all the other hurdles, too. Getting a friend to review your resume (as SMART friend who is good at getting hired, not your drinking buddy who is still a greeter at Walmart) helps a lot, too, as they can give lots of other pointers that most people don't know.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes miss fortune liked this post

  6. #60656
    Happy Dancer Array uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,564

    Default

    Maybe some of these could be made into emoticons?

    Not all of them. We don't want any emoticons that would instantly guarantee an infraction if posted, but the rest could be amusing.

    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes N/A liked this post

  7. #60657
    scourge Array miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    19,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    It's not obvious to most people. That's why it sets you apart. I've a few friends who run businesses or are managers. Most resumes are jokes to them. People do things like not following directions, not paying attention to details like reading the job notice and how it indicates to apply for the job. All sorts of stuff. Or they don't even spell words right, or make absurd claims that are obviously false, and so on and so on and so on.

    The money quotes I gave you are a huge bonus, but you need to cross all the other hurdles, too. Getting a friend to review your resume (as SMART friend who is good at getting hired, not your drinking buddy who is still a greeter at Walmart) helps a lot, too, as they can give lots of other pointers that most people don't know.
    I'd have some good referrals from my current bosses because we get along quite well... the culture of the place overall is driving me crazy though and I'm not sure how much longer I can last there. I should probably ask the man to look it over because he did the hiring for a company for the past 12 years and sees a lot of resumes, but somehow asking him to do something workish seems a bit cruel

    I've been looking over the descriptions and matching them up to the things that I currently do or have done, so at least that part is right... and I'm looking at some jobs with people who we currently are the largest account for (don't know how that works out really...)

    thank you for pointing out some things that just kind of don't occur to me!
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

  8. #60658
    Oɴᴇ Hᴇᴀʀᴛ Array Yamato Nadeshiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Posts
    5,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I need more of those
    I have plenty. I'll lend you one for just 3 easy payments of $19.99. Shipping & Handling not included. You'll have to pay for feeding, watering, and sheltering them on your own during the duration of their visit. Le't say a month?


    knowing what makes us happy
    is sometimes the hardest thing to do
    Johari / Nohari
    6w7 9w1 2w1 - so/sx
    Phlegmatic - Melancholic
    Sensitive - Solitary - Serious

  9. #60659
    scourge Array miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    19,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 21lux View Post
    I have plenty. I'll lend you one for just 3 easy payments of $19.99. Shipping & Handling not included. You'll have to pay for feeding, watering, and sheltering them on your own during the duration of their visit. Le't say a month?
    done!

    they would probably pay for their own keep by keeping the place all neat and stuff too
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

  10. #60660
    Oɴᴇ Hᴇᴀʀᴛ Array Yamato Nadeshiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Posts
    5,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    done!

    they would probably pay for their own keep by keeping the place all neat and stuff too
    Hehhehahahe. Oh yeah... totally.

    *secretly doesn't tell you all the ISTJs currently in stock are lazy butts around the house*


    knowing what makes us happy
    is sometimes the hardest thing to do
    Johari / Nohari
    6w7 9w1 2w1 - so/sx
    Phlegmatic - Melancholic
    Sensitive - Solitary - Serious

Similar Threads

  1. [SJ] SJ Random Thought Thread
    By Giggly in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 622
    Last Post: 10-28-2016, 07:32 PM
  2. [NT] Random thought thread (NT version)
    By yenom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 10-22-2016, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO