User Tag List

Page 5976 of 6784 FirstFirst ... 49765476587659265966597459755976597759785986602660766476 ... LastLast
Results 59,751 to 59,760 of 67835

Thread: Random Thought Thread

Everybody sing Kumba-friggin-ya.
    Likes FutureInProgress liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    This kids' book has a new take on Humpty Dumpty

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
    Humpty Dumpty was afraid he would fall
    All the king's horses and all the king's men
    Could get him to come down again

Yeah, I was wondering how they were going to handle telling his story. They just took astronomical liberties!

Now I want to see a Disney movie about Humpty Dumpty.
    On the one hand that is ridiculous, especially since the verse was originally a riddle describing an egg (IIRC). On the other hand there is a German children's song about a cook beating a pug to pulp with his spoon because the pug stole an egg from the kitchen where I change the ending when singing it to my one year old.
    In my version they share the food

And just think of how the dark original stories of the brothers Grimm have been softened in the English speaking world even before Disney came along. For starters, do any of you guys remember Snowwhite's evil stepmother being tortured with shoes made of scorching hot iron at Snowwhites wedding with the prince?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Google "chemtrails" Array Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp
    Socionics
    yδN None

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    On the one hand that is ridiculous, especially since the verse was originally a riddle describing an egg (IIRC). On the other hand there is a German children's song about a cook beating a pug to pulp with his spoon because the pug stole an egg from the kitchen where I change the ending when singing it to my one year old.
    In my version they share the food

And just think of how the dark original stories of the brothers Grimm have been softened in the English speaking world even before Disney came along. For starters, do any of you guys remember Snowwhite's evil stepmother being tortured with shoes made of scorching hot iron at Snowwhites wedding with the prince?
    Oh man yes

Or Cinderella's sisters cutting off their toes and heels so that they'd fit into the glass slipper. And then having their eyes plucked out by birds for some reason. Karma, I guess? The just seemed tacked onto the end.

"And so Cinderella and the Prince were wed. And also her stepsisters got their eyes plucked out by birds. The end."

My one year old and I have an odd relationship with stories, too. I read the stories as they are in whatever books they're in, but I try to hold in the laughter because it always makes me think about the original stories.

And if I were to write my own endings when I read to him, I would not be able to suppress the urge to just end every story with "And they all burst into flames and died, the end." If the Brothers Grimm can get away with non sequiturs, then so can I.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"; aka "jscrothers"; aka "bologna"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    Oh man yes

Or Cinderella's sisters cutting off their toes and heels so that they'd fit into the glass slipper. And then having their eyes plucked out by birds for some reason. Karma, I guess? The just seemed tacked onto the end.

"And so Cinderella and the Prince were wed. And also her stepsisters got their eyes plucked out by birds. The end."

My one year old and I have an odd relationship with stories, too. I read the stories as they are in whatever books they're in, but I try to hold in the laughter because it always makes me think about the original stories.

And if I were to write my own endings when I read to him, I would not be able to suppress the urge to just end every story with "And they all burst into flames and died, the end." If the Brothers Grimm can get away with non sequiturs, then so can I.
    I think I can explain that. In the German version there is no fairy godmother. Cinderella's father offers to bring his daughters a gift from a trip. The evil stepsisters want cloths and jewels. Cinderella asks for the first twig that touches her father's head on his way back home. She plants it on her mother's grave and waters it with her tears and it turns into a tree. She goes there to cry and pray as she is a very sad half-orphan. There is a magical white bird in the tree and it throws beautiful dresses at her feet when she asks for them in order to go to the ball.

The birds that pick out the evil sisters' eyes are probably the same white doves that help her pick the lentils from the ash (a task given to her by the stepmother that she has to fulfill to be allowed to go to the ball). It's also the same birds that tell the prince that the stepsisters are cheating and that their feet have been cut.

I would say that the white doves that help Cinderella throughout and punish the evildoers are probably the spirit of her deceased mother.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

I seem to recall reading that the ORIGINAL original stories by the brothers Grimm weren't about STEP-mothers and STEP-fathers, but mothers and fathers. E.g., Hansel and Gretel were left in the woods by their REAL parents because their parents couldn't afford to support them. And this, IIRC, was later "softened" to "step" relatives, so there was at least the excuse that they weren't being cruel to their own children.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

now I get why the martian got the comedy category
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Likes Ivy, Yamato Nadeshiko, EJCC, Hard, chickpea and 1 others liked this post

raised from perdition Array EJCC's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    Oh, "Nice Guys of OkCupid", how I missed you.
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Hard, Chanaynay, Masokissed liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Oh, "Nice Guys of OkCupid", how I missed you.
    THERE'S A WHOLE PAGE FOR IT?
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Likes EJCC, Masokissed liked this post

Oɴᴇ Hᴇᴀʀᴛ Array Yamato Nadeshiko's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    THERE'S A WHOLE PAGE FOR IT?
    channy look

OK Cupid's Nice Guys