User Tag List

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

$ 700 million spent to only make the situation worse, typical.

us-support-of-gay-rights-in-africa-may-have-done-more-harm-than-good

America’s money and public diplomacy have opened conversations and opportunities in societies where the subject was taboo just a few years ago. But they have also made gay men and lesbians more visible — and more vulnerable to harassment and violence, people on both sides of the gay rights issue contend. The American campaign has stirred misgivings among many African activists, who say they must rely on the West’s support despite often disagreeing with its strategies.

In Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation, the final passage of the 2014 law against homosexuality — which makes same-sex relationships punishable by 14 years in prison and makes it a crime to organize or participate in any type of gay meeting — is widely regarded by both supporters and opponents of gay rights as a reaction to American pressure on Nigeria and other African nations to embrace gay rights.

“The Nigerian law was blowback,” said Chidi Odinkalu, chairman of Nigeria’s National Human Rights Commission and the senior legal officer for the Africa Program of the Open Society Justice Initiative, which supports gay rights on the continent. “You now have situations of gay men being molested on the streets or taunted. That was all avoidable.”

“I’ve said to U.S. diplomats privately as well — the risk is causing more harm than good,” Mr. Odinkalu added. “You don’t want an infusion of good will to actually do harm to the community that you think you’re protecting.”

Anti-gay sentiments are widespread across Africa. Same-sex relations remain illegal in most nations, the legacy of colonial laws that had been largely forgotten until the West’s push to repeal them in recent years.

Fierce opposition has come from African governments and private organizations, which accuse the United States of cultural imperialism. Pressing gay rights on an unwilling continent, they say, is the latest attempt by Western nations to impose their values on Africa.
    Cultural imperialism..... classic. But who cares if the policy is ineffective or if it makes life worse for those they are trying to help or if it is a bad way to spend money or if it disrespects other nations....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

At my last job, my bosses boss was Zee Kaizer, I even told her this to her face in all seriousness. It was a title of respect due to her competence and ability to get shit DONE, as well as implying fear, which she knew she instilled in some of her underlings ENTJ 8w...

ANYWAYS! New job, new nick names

I call them; The Triumvirs. They are 3 ladies who rule with an iron fist and spend most of their day complaining about others and pointing out errors people have made. They are never wrong, ignore you when you point out their errors (if you dare), and basically are toxic humans.

"Psst, heads up here comes a Triumvir!!!" At first people were like... HUNH, what is a triumvir. After explaining it and all that, it's catching on
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Bush Did 9/11 liked this post

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    I call them; The Triumvirs. They are 3 ladies who rule with an iron fist and spend most of their day complaining about others and pointing out errors people have made. They are never wrong, ignore you when you point out their errors (if you dare), and basically are toxic humans.
    That is so God damned clever. I love it.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"; aka "jscrothers"; aka "bologna"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    Cultural imperialism..... classic. But who cares if the policy is ineffective or if it makes life worse for those they are trying to help or if it is a bad way to spend money or if it disrespects other nations....
    Our good ol' farpotshket foreign policy.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"; aka "jscrothers"; aka "bologna"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    At my last job, my bosses boss was Zee Kaizer, I even told her this to her face in all seriousness. It was a title of respect due to her competence and ability to get shit DONE, as well as implying fear, which she knew she instilled in some of her underlings ENTJ 8w...

ANYWAYS! New job, new nick names

"Psst, heads up here comes a Triumvir!!!" At first people were like... HUNH, what is a triumvir. After explaining it and all that, it's catching on
    A bit ironic to use "triumvir" for three ladies as it literally translates as "three men"
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    How many languages do you know, anyway?
    Define "know".

To be honest, I just assumed it meant "three men" but since I never studied any Latin (just serendipitously remembered that "vir" means "man" and guessed that could be the etymology) I asked @Mad Hatter who does know Latin and he confirmed my suspicion.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Define "know".

To be honest, I just assumed it meant "three men" but since I never studied any Latin (just serendipitously remembered that "vir" means "man" and guessed that could be the etymology) I asked @Mad Hatter who does know Latin and confirmed my suspicion.
    I awkwardly moved this to a VM because I overthought the damn thing, as usual, but thanks for answering my question! I'm thinking of watching some DVDs with the Spanish audio track or Spanish subtitles to get better at verbal comprehension.
    Likes Red Herring liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    $ 700 million spent to only make the situation worse, typical.

us-support-of-gay-rights-in-africa-may-have-done-more-harm-than-good

Here, it worked a real treat in the developed world and wasnt a shot in the arm for a bunch of reactionaries or anything was it.... Wait....
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon
    Likes SearchingforPeace, Bush Did 9/11 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    Our good ol' farpotshket foreign policy.
    You got to export what's proven to be such a wonder on the domestic front making life better for everyone year on year, wait, no, I fucking got that one wrong again
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Here, it worked a real treat in the developed world and wasnt a shot in the arm for a bunch of reactionaries or anything was it.... Wait....
    The clueless of those who believe than can remake the world is always startling, though it should not be.

A great example is Vietnam. From 1945 through 1960, it was the #1 recipient of US foreign aid in the world (more than rebuilding Japan or any single country in Europe, which is saying something). Even though it was a French colony until 1954, the US engaged in a massive program to try and make it into a model state, using tools and programs inspired by the New Deal. The French would have never returned to Vietnam without US pushing them. Ho Chi Minh worked hard with the CIA predecessor OSS, and tried to become a US ally after the war.

But those silly geniuses screwed everything up, ignoring Vietnamese culture and history (hey, they are just like the Chinese, right? they thought). The Pentagon Papers showed that the entire thing was unnecessary, ineffective, counterproductive, and wasteful. The only possible reason the researchers saw to stay was "American credibility". But first JFK, then LBJ doubled down on war and massively increased involvement. For absolutely nothing.... oh, such geniuses....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so