User Tag List

Page 5837 of 6775 FirstFirst ... 48375337573757875827583558365837583858395847588759376337 ... LastLast
Results 58,361 to 58,370 of 67741

Thread: Random Thought Thread

Spreadsheet Samurai Array Alaska's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by purplesocks View Post
    Is this mean???

"Hey. It's ok if ur busy, but u should really be helping with this group work"

I sent this to a girl in my group for English. I decided to meet up with the guy in my group, because he wanted us to figure out how we were going to write the paper. We were texting in the group text we have set up, so all 3 of us can read them. The girl never responded, and 4 hours had gone by since we started talking about meeting up. I went to meet with him in library, and we were talking about how she doesn't take these assignments seriously. I decided to text her this, but he thought it was harsh. I thought it was honest, and it doesn't sound that bad to me. The girl responded back with that she was sleeping and had her phone on silent.
    Not harsh at all. The text sounds like you are intentionally trying to soften the message, in fact.
    4w5 6w7 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]
    Likes purplesocks liked this post

I cant find a leather bound popular edition of Theory of Moral Sentiments on Amazon, I wonder were else I could look.

- - - Updated - - -
    @Qlip lives

why ANY religious debate is still allowed/endorsed on the forum?
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    why ANY religious debate is still allowed/endorsed on the forum?
    '
    What isn't ultimately religious?
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp

"blah blah You have to wait at least 3 seconds between pressing the Like button blah blah"

YOU DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO.

---

Current favorite author is drunk and answering asks on tumblr. She's already funny sober but this is just hilarious.
    Likes Smilephantomhive liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    '
    What isn't ultimately religious?
    I think that's true.

I mention it a lot but Erich Fromm, while he had a pretty broad definition of it himself, suggested that every individual lived a private religion and if you wanted to know them, have them benefit from therapy or motivate them or anything else, then you had to discover what it was.

across the universe Array Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think that's true.

I mention it a lot but Erich Fromm, while he had a pretty broad definition of it himself, suggested that every individual lived a private religion and if you wanted to know them, have them benefit from therapy or motivate them or anything else, then you had to discover what it was.
    That would have to be a VERY broad definition indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Olm the Water King View Post
    That would have to be a VERY broad definition indeed.
    Fromm felt that all religion had universal psychological elements which could be deconstructed, he felt a common thread of humanism could be found in them all, either human needs or human traits personified and projected, even the brutal/anti-human elements were "humanistic" in a "human, all too human" way and he was found of quoting things like "nothing human should be foreign/strange to me".

Specifically he felt that all religions had two aspects, one, an object of devotion, not necessarily theistic or deistic, two, a frame of orientation/reference towards life, the world and everything, comprising ethics and more.

That sort of anthropological or sociological definition can apply broadly to most things, the only people who tend to reject it are those who have real baggage about religion, whether they are theistic or not.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Fromm felt that all religion had universal psychological elements which could be deconstructed, he felt a common thread of humanism could be found in them all, either human needs or human traits personified and projected, even the brutal/anti-human elements were "humanistic" in a "human, all too human" way and he was found of quoting things like "nothing human should be foreign/strange to me".

Specifically he felt that all religions had two aspects, one, an object of devotion, not necessarily theistic or deistic, two, a frame of orientation/reference towards life, the world and everything, comprising ethics and more.

That sort of anthropological or sociological definition can apply broadly to most things, the only people who tend to reject it are those who have real baggage about religion, whether they are theistic or not.
    I like this. I can see it rubbing people the wrong way, though. Especially if they prefer to have definitive definitions of things rather than open-ended.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I like this. I can see it rubbing people the wrong way, though. Especially if they prefer to have definitive definitions of things rather than open-ended.
    What people do you see it rubbing the wrong way?

Fromm used to talk about humanists, non-theist and theist, and about humanistic religion, it could all be a reinvention of oversimplified "good vs bad" labelling but you know, I think it works and is more than simply that.

In his day Fromm was as annoyed with atheists and anti-religious types as he was about the alternative, perhaps it was the times, he definitely tried hard to create or support movements in China and Russia which opposed the state atheism and tired to get the Pope and other world religious leaders to work together to pressurise governments to scale back armaments programmes, military-industrialism, the cold war.

In his last years he was supposed to have become pretty despondent and thought mankind was going to annihilate itself with nuclear war, mind you, I think Bertrand Russell thought the same thing and I remember the UK in the eighties being a bit like that, with that pervasive idea, it really was a seriously grim dark period if you watch the popular TV shows from the time, Threads, When The Wind Blows etc.
    Likes JAVO liked this post