User Tag List

Page 5806 of 6777 FirstFirst ... 48065306570657565796580458055806580758085816585659066306 ... LastLast
Results 58,051 to 58,060 of 67766

Thread: Random Thought Thread

  1. #58051
    Google "chemtrails" Array Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    eNtP
    Enneagram
    359 sp/so
    Socionics
    LIE Ni
    Posts
    3,174

    Default

    No, Ben Carson would not travel back in time to abort baby Adolf Hitler.
    hard hitting issues here folks
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

    "Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

  2. #58052
    Happy Dancer Array uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Null View Post
    Irrational people and printers are two things that manage to piss me of every time.
    Irrational people?! Try irrational numbers! There are infinitely more of those than there are rational numbers.

    Can't stand discussing stuff with people when their classic argument strategy is to follow the logic of a position until it leads to an absurdity and the person holding the argument ends up having to stick to a ridiculous position. Not my favorite thing to do in the first place, but that just makes it so much worse. Remind me to never talk about anything again.
    Heh ... it's kind of funny how that works, since reductio ad absurdum is a classic way to disprove an argument, e.g., proving that the arguments premises lead to the conclusion 1=0. In your case, it appears the individual doesn't take that last step, instead assuming that all logical reasoning up to that point is 100% correct, and therefore the absurdity absolutely must be true. And yes, I've seen this too, off and on. Some people would appear to have unbounded trust in their own powers of reasoning.

    My general practice, especially as a type 9, is to not actually argue anything. This drives some people up the wall, because they want to see "sources" (of course without providing any of their own, and they'll dismiss any you provide as unreliable) or the set of individual steps of a step-by-step reasoning (so they can then pretend to have a discussion by nitpicking each step).

    Instead, I give them the facts as I know them, or my personal experiences (which they dismiss as anecdotal), and I tell them the patterns I see (provisional conclusions). They try to "disprove" my facts, which is kind of missing the point. There is nothing to "win", just knowledge to share.

    Once I determine that they actually aren't interested in discussing anything, I move on.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

  3. #58053
    hyggelig Array EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    16,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    hard hitting issues here folks
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...her-disasters/
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  4. #58054
    Active Member Array Poki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    eSTP
    Posts
    8,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Irrational people?! Try irrational numbers! There are infinitely more of those than there are rational numbers.



    Heh ... it's kind of funny how that works, since reductio ad absurdum is a classic way to disprove an argument, e.g., proving that the arguments premises lead to the conclusion 1=0. In your case, it appears the individual doesn't take that last step, instead assuming that all logical reasoning up to that point is 100% correct, and therefore the absurdity absolutely must be true. And yes, I've seen this too, off and on. Some people would appear to have unbounded trust in their own powers of reasoning.

    My general practice, especially as a type 9, is to not actually argue anything. This drives some people up the wall, because they want to see "sources" (of course without providing any of their own, and they'll dismiss any you provide as unreliable) or the set of individual steps of a step-by-step reasoning (so they can then pretend to have a discussion by nitpicking each step).

    Instead, I give them the facts as I know them, or my personal experiences (which they dismiss as anecdotal), and I tell them the patterns I see (provisional conclusions). They try to "disprove" my facts, which is kind of missing the point. There is nothing to "win", just knowledge to share.

    Once I determine that they actually aren't interested in discussing anything, I move on.
    It's funny when you say, the way I see it is...and they say your wrong because they see it a different way. I have done this to people but it's only due to conflicting ways of seeing things within that person. You can't see it this way and that way at the same time with the same set of details. Add more details to differentiate things or pick one. Or you are confused and have no opinion of value as the answer is what you want at the time, not what you really think. It's annoying when people change things due simply to get the outcome they want, I want to ask if they process things or just pull shit out of thier ass to come to a conclusion.
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, because that's all it is compared to the ocean of complexity when it comes to actions and real life.

  5. #58055
    . Array magpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so
    Socionics
    ESI Fi
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    You can't see it this way and that way at the same time with the same set of details.
    Yes you can. It's just, as you said, it doesn't make for a very convincing argument. But uumlau said she wasn't interested in an argument anyway.

  6. #58056
    hey ma! got a tatoo Array prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    27,693

    Default

    or you get the details wrong and the other person is telling you that and you don't listen. that is frustrating. when the other person doesn't even begin to get the other side correct. and will not listen because of arogannce and it doesn't mattter how many times you say no that's not it this is it but they are convince that is correct and not this.
    by @magpie
    Likes Poki liked this post

  7. #58057
    Google "chemtrails" Array Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    eNtP
    Enneagram
    359 sp/so
    Socionics
    LIE Ni
    Posts
    3,174

    Default

    Yeah, thrust people into pressing situations and see what they do.

    More than one gun owner has said "Well I woulda been such a badass. and unholstered my AR15 and disabled the shooter before he even had a chance. Like, I'd eagle eye it and shoot the gun right out of his hand."

    Although, of the current candidates, I think Carson has the most hands-on experience with actual in-the-moment emergency situations, what with being a pediatric neurosurgeon and all. It's a drop in the bucket of really real psychology, but it's more than the other superheroes have.

    Then again, he was asked the question in the first place. Why!?
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

    "Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

  8. #58058
    - Array Null's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Heh ... it's kind of funny how that works, since reductio ad absurdum is a classic way to disprove an argument, e.g., proving that the arguments premises lead to the conclusion 1=0. In your case, it appears the individual doesn't take that last step, instead assuming that all logical reasoning up to that point is 100% correct, and therefore the absurdity absolutely must be true.
    I think a lot of people are just too proud and stuck in their ways to open their minds to new ideas. It's unsettling that people will accept absurdities before they will admit that their position is untenable.

    Once I determine that they actually aren't interested in discussing anything, I move on.
    Learned that too.
    Leisurely > Sensitive > Solitary
    Si / Fi / Fe
    Johari / Nohari / Tumblr

  9. #58059
    Senior Member Array Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    18,627

    Default

    I'm sick and tired of writing christmas cards but I think I'm ahead of the curve this time.

  10. #58060
    Happy Dancer Array uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,562

    Default

    "uumlau" spelled backwards is pronounced:

    You all moo!
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes EJCC liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. [SJ] SJ Random Thought Thread
    By Giggly in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 622
    Last Post: 10-28-2016, 07:32 PM
  2. [NT] Random thought thread (NT version)
    By yenom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 10-22-2016, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO