User Tag List

Page 5718 of 6783 FirstFirst ... 471852185618566857085716571757185719572057285768581862186718 ... LastLast
Results 57,171 to 57,180 of 67830

Thread: Random Thought Thread

waiting for Winterman Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    If I hear one more time I'm the only person who ever requested something be done differently than everyone else, I'm going to shout "bullshit" in the phone.
    I always try and find alternative ways of doing things, rather than sticking by what has been done in the past. Just because you can learn from the past, doesn't mean that you should repeat it.
    Likes Forever liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    I always try and find alternative ways of doing things, rather than sticking by what has been done in the past.
    You'd think the world is falling apart because I want them to deviate from SOP. Then because they're so accustomed to doing it only one way, they still fuck it up.
    Likes Osprey liked this post

Queen hunter Array Virtual ghost's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I suspect citizens being armed with guns would be a nuance for the government, but not prohibitive of it controlling the population. There are much larger mechanisms of control available to the government - especially with biological weapons.

To be honest ? No, not really.
    Armed people are greatest nuance for people that live around them. Governments almost always have bigger and more advanced guns, much more options in the terms of propaganda and basically unlimited funding. Therfore people armed with assult rifles do not really bother goverments that much. I am from the country where guns are in general illegal and people prefer it that way. Here people think that it is far more likely that they would be killed by some self-righterous maniac than the government bodies. Also since military and all forms of law enforcement are made of people who live among general public it is expected that they will not turn against innocent people. What is indeed quite true from what I see.

I would make a rule that every American has to live for a few months in a unarmed society just so that they get the idea how that works. Since in America that kind of environment does not exist and you can't experience this kind of social dynamic by living there. Unarmed society is build on trust that typical American never gets the chance to fully develope ... and that is probaly one of the main reasons why most of you feel exiled and go to emotional therapy of some kind.
    Likes labyrinthine liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

That guy who never seems to notice that his shirt is riding up and he's showing crack all of the time. What is that, breeze insensitivity?
    Likes labyrinthine, Hawthorne liked this post

Oɴᴇ Hᴇᴀʀᴛ Array Yamato Nadeshiko's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx

The dentist gave me an a+ on my dental hygiene today

knowing what makes us happy
    is sometimes the hardest thing to do
    Johari / Nohari
    6w7 9w1 2w1 - so/sx
    Phlegmatic - Melancholic
    Sensitive - Solitary - Serious
    Likes Hawthorne liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    If citizens aren't armed, how will we start the proletarian revolution?
    I have often thought about this myself. I'm very perturbed by the fact I own nothing in the way of weapons.

(in)formation Array Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    872 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Until you become a threat to the powers that be. And, ideological threats always look the most frightening. Then you can become a martyr, if you're lucky you won't have to die. Change is difficult, imposing change is always essentially violent. If not the death of lives, then for livelihoods, which essentially are one and the same. Violence should only be discarded or considered entirely on it's effectiveness, but will all to often be the go to when change is necessary.
    Of course people will die. Of course there will be violence from the existing power structure. I think it would be naive to think otherwise.

However, some of the most revolutionary movements of the past century have occurred without a single shot being fired. Participating in violence to overthrow a violent system just makes you complicit in perpetuating that system. I think in ideological struggles, tactics matter, and if you really are fighting for principle you can't undermine it for short-term gain. It is the definition of winning the battle but losing the war.

One of my favorite stories in recent history regards how Congresswoman Barbara Lee came to the decision to not vote for the bill the resolution that would instate the Authorization for Use of Military Force, which granted effectively unlimited power to the executive to pursue anyone who might have been involved with 9/11. She said that she atteneded a sermon at the National Cathedral held for all Congressional Members right before the vote, and the minister said as kind of a gentle reminder to all those gathered there, that "As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore." It was the thing that convinced her to become the sole person in either house to vote against the bill.

Either way, long way to say that I don't agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    Of course people will die. Of course there will be violence from the existing power structure. I think it would be naive to think otherwise.

However, some of the most revolutionary movements of the past century have occurred without a single shot being fired. Participating in violence to overthrow a violent system just makes you complicit in perpetuating that system. I think in ideological struggles, tactics matter, and if you really are fighting for principle you can't undermine it for short-term gain. It is the definition of winning the battle but losing the war.

One of my favorite stories in recent history regards how Congresswoman Barbara Lee came to the decision to not vote for the bill the resolution that would instate the Authorization for Use of Military Force, which granted effectively unlimited power to the executive to pursue anyone who might have been involved with 9/11. She said that she atteneded a sermon at the National Cathedral held for all Congressional Members right before the vote, and the minister said as kind of a gentle reminder to all those gathered there, that "As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore." It was the thing that convinced her to become the sole person in either house to vote against the bill.

Either way, long way to say that I don't agree with you.
    Heterosexual norms, including any exclusive heterosexual pair bonding, have been discarded globally by a majority heterosexual population without a single act of violence, I'd call that pretty revolutionary, and I dont mean in a good sense, without any ill will toward homosexuals anywhere.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Friday night and weekend classes are literally the worst part of grad school.
    “We need to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.” - Leslie Knope

"Nothing lasts forever, some things aren't meant to be. But you'll never find the answers 'til you set your old heart free."

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Fear the wrath of the..

Why you looking for a harmony?
    There is harmony in everything
    It's a butterfly who waits for wind