User Tag List

Page 5175 of 6780 FirstFirst ... 417546755075512551655173517451755176517751855225527556756175 ... LastLast
Results 51,741 to 51,750 of 67800

Thread: Random Thought Thread

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes BadOctopus, Osprey liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Woaden View Post
    I get very confused when it comes to translating "What does one need that for?" or something of that nature because instead of "was" it becomes "worüber brauchst man das für". And then there's the braucht/brauchst/brauchen and all its other forms. I haven't learned all that when I was learning the adverbs so naturally I'm very confused. I just don't know why it changes forms, and I don't know how to construct a sentence that is grammatically correct, bar the simple English "structured" translations.
    Not exactly.

"What does one need that for?" would be "Wofür braucht man das?" (What-for needs one that?)
    Similarly "Where do you come from?" would be "Woher kommst du?" (Where-from come you?) or "Wo kommst du her?" (Where come you from?) and "Where are you going (to)" would be "Wohin gehst du?" (Where-to go you?) or "Wo gehst du hin?" (Where go you to?)

The point is that, yes, "what" is "was", but in the example you gave you didn't really ask what as in "What is that?" which would be "Was ist das?" (What is that?) but "What ...for?" and there is a special word for that which is wofür. Just as "Where are you?" is "Wo bist du?" (Where are you?) but there is a special word for "Where ...from?" which is woher and a special word for "where ... to?" which is wohin.

Otherwise, as Sultan of Beans has said it's relatively straightforward:
    who - wer
    what - was
    where - wo
    why - warum / weshalb
    how - wie

As far as verbs are concerned, they are conjugated as in most European languages. Old English did it and you still have a few traces of that left: I am, you are, he/she/it is ...! We do the same thing in German, as do the French or the Russians. It is extremely important to get a grab on how to conjugate regular verbs at an early point, as you'll need that for any sentence.

That should be taught a very early point in any method. Do you take classes or do you teach yourself? If you do teach yourself, do you use a book or a website? Maybe a somewhat more structured approach would be helpful (as an addition to normal lessons, not to replaqce them), even though that has become a bit out of fashion and most modern methods are messy about the grammar and stress jumping right in and learning useful phrases rather than the abstract architecture of a language./*INTP*
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes Kierva, Olm the Water King liked this post

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Not exactly.

"What does one need that for?" would be "Wofür braucht man das?" (What-for needs one that?)
    Similarly "Where do you come from?" would be "Woher kommst du?" (Where-from come you?) or "Wo kommst du her?" (Where come you from?) and "Where are you going (to)" would be "Wohin gehst du?" (Where-to go you?) or "Wo gehst du hin?" (Where go you to?)

The point is that, yes, "what" is "was", but in the example you gave you didn't really ask what as in "What is that?" which would be "Was ist das?" (What is that?) but "What ...for?" and there is a special word for that which is wofür. Just as "Where are you?" is "Wo bist du?" (Where are you?) but there is a special word for "Where ...from?" which is woher and a special word for "where ... to?" which is wohin.

Otherwise, as Sultan of Beans has said it's relatively straightforward:
    who - wer
    what - was
    where - wo
    why - warum / weshalb
    how - wie

As far as verbs are concerned, they are conjugated as in most European languages. Old English did it and you still have a few traces of that left: I am, you are, he/she/it is ...! We do the same thing in German, as do the French or the Russians. It is extremely important to get a grab on how to conjugate regular verbs at an early point, as you'll need that for any sentence.

That should be taught a very early point in any method. Do you take classes or do you teach yourself? If you do teach yourself, do you use a book or a website? Maybe a somewhat more structured approach would be helpful (as an addition to normal lessons, not to replaqce them), even though that has become a bit out of fashion and most modern methods are messy about the grammar and stress jumping right in and learning useful phrases rather than the abstract architecture of a language./*INTP*
    I'm learning through Duolingo's lesson plan. It's somewhat effective in giving me the structure, but I don't *completely* understand it. More often than not, I am simply just repeating whatever is shown.

I do agree that a human teacher would be more effective in setting the basics, and using Duolingo as a homework tool.

That being said, I'm good at English because I read a lot and surrounded myself with lots of good speakers. Maybe I should start reading German children's books?

waiting for Winterman Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

As long as romantic relationships last, I think it's important to enjoy them. When they end, it's probably unavoidable that I'll be unhappy, but that's life.

I'm with Butters on this, after his relationship with Lexus hit the skids.
    Winterman is coming through the forest down to his Chrimbus cave inside the woods. Now's the time to tell him everything you want inside your Chrimbus bush!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Woaden View Post

That being said, I'm good at English because I read a lot and surrounded myself with lots of good speakers. Maybe I should start reading German children's books?
    I just found this via google: 15 Great German Children's Books for Beginners | FluentU German

These are definitely all classics but only the first four would be for real beginners. I grew up with these. If you have only just started the rest would have to wait. Maybe you can find some bilingual publication, German on the right and English on the left or something like that? There are also children's programs to teach German children English, maybe you could use those in reverse? I'll see if I can find one online.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I just found this via google: 15 Great German Children's Books for Beginners | FluentU German

These are definitely all classics but only the first four would be for real beginners. I grew up with these. If you have only just started the rest would have to wait. Maybe you can find some bilingual publication, German on the right and English on the left or something like that? There are also children's programs to teach German children English, maybe you could use those in reverse? I'll see if I can find one online.
    Thank you very much for your help! I'll get on it right away.

Sister Mary Elephant: Class, wake up.

Suave y Fuerte Array BadOctopus's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

A produce guy at the store was whistling "Kung Fu Fighting", and now it's stuck in my head. Thanks a lot, produce guy.
    WOOP WOOP WOOP
    Likes Red Herring liked this post

Default vocal fry

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Sure, "recent", if you're an octogenarian.

the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism
    Likes uumlau liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    I know this is pedantry, but they got a good chunk of their video clips from 'In A World...' which was explicitly criticizing vocal fry. It's kinda like showing clips from Airplane on an expose on the airline industry.