User Tag List

Page 5094 of 6784 FirstFirst ... 409445944994504450845092509350945095509651045144519455946094 ... LastLast
Results 50,931 to 50,940 of 67835

Thread: Random Thought Thread

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Wondering how to not procrastinate, also wondering if it's a normal thing for NT's to become nearly completely disconnected with reality for long periods of time. For ages I tend to ignore what's going on around me, real life issues, and indulge myself in a hapless world of ideas, if only there was a way to make this behaviour useful...
    We're a lukewarm people for all our feast days and hard work.
    Not much touches us, but we long to be touched. We lie awake
    at night willing the darkness to part and show us a vision. Our
    children frighten us in their intimacy, but we make sure they
    grow up like us. Lukewarm like us

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
    Wondering how to not procrastinate, also wondering if it's a normal thing for NT's to become nearly completely disconnected with reality for long periods of time. For ages I tend to ignore what's going on around me, real life issues, and indulge myself in a hapless world of ideas, if only there was a way to make this behaviour useful...
    I'm now wondering if different types meditate differently, as a form of disconnection.
    Likes Obsidius liked this post

MBTI
    :}

I should be studying but I'm not. Ill do it later, or at least I will tell myself that now. Ugh I guess I had better try to get something done.

Suave y Fuerte Array BadOctopus's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

The opposite of happiness is tax season.
    WOOP WOOP WOOP
    Likes Luke O liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

If she cooks for you and you don't even have to ask, of course, she is a keeper.
    "And then, as I got her message, there came a light from her eyes - powerful beams of light." - Nikola Tesla

MBTI

I like tax season, rebate!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    The opposite of happiness is tax season.
    The alternative to "tax season" is to manually pay your taxes every month/quarter, by writing a check out of your account, not by having the money withheld for you by your employer. The IRS adopted withholding as a war time measure in WW2, because the government needed a way to guarantee income that wasn't reliant on voluntary compliance.

It turned out to be so lucrative, they've never rescinded withholding. And of course the law is written to be lose/lose for the taxpayer. If you overpay, you get your "refund", but no interest. If you underpay, not only do you have to pay the difference, you will often owe penalties and interest above and beyond the amount by which you underpaid.

Now you might think that'd be cool if it got reversed, where you get to keep the profits if you win, but the government has to pay the penalty if you lose. That's happened before, in many different settings, both tax-based and otherwise. The most dramatic recent example was the housing bubble: banks could make crappy loans, pocket the closing costs, and sell them to the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    I like tax season, rebate!
    The money was already yours.

And unless your tax situation is very simple, you probably paid $30 or so for a tax filing program JUST to get that refund back.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

MBTI
    eSTP

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    The alternative to "tax season" is to manually pay your taxes every month/quarter, by writing a check out of your account, not by having the money withheld for you by your employer. The IRS adopted withholding as a war time measure in WW2, because the government needed a way to guarantee income that wasn't reliant on voluntary compliance.

It turned out to be so lucrative, they've never rescinded withholding. And of course the law is written to be lose/lose for the taxpayer. If you overpay, you get your "refund", but no interest. If you underpay, not only do you have to pay the difference, you will often owe penalties and interest above and beyond the amount by which you underpaid.

Now you might think that'd be cool if it got reversed, where you get to keep the profits if you win, but the government has to pay the penalty if you lose. That's happened before, in many different settings, both tax-based and otherwise. The most dramatic recent example was the housing bubble: banks could make crappy loans, pocket the closing costs, and sell them to the government.

The money was already yours.

And unless your tax situation is very simple, you probably paid $30 or so for a tax filing program JUST to get that refund back.
    I purposefully withhold more. I am tired of having to pay money at the end of the year so I adjust it so I get back a couple hundred every year. I prefer to have things automated so I allow it. Makes life simpler and the more I can automate the more I can focus my energy else where. Money doesn't mean all that much to me. I just pay $50 and send everything to my tax lady. She does it all, sends me back a receipt, I print, sign, and email back. Taxes take me 10 minutes total and I never have to out of pocket anymore since I pay a little more then I need to.
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, because that's all it is compared to the ocean of complexity when it comes to actions and real life.
    Likes Alaska liked this post

across the universe Array Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

MBTI

Nah my tax situation is pretty simple, easy enough that I can figure out how to do it on my own. Its no