Originally Posted by BadOctopus
My best friend works for the police department in my city. He's in the traffic unit and takes paper (CHP 555 collision form) on about 500 crashes a year. Back in 2012 he sent me this:
Originally Posted by 93JC
The Ten Vehicles Most Likely to be Driven by Idiots:
1) Honda Civic: all years, all models. Odds go up if equipped with any of the following: cut springs, aftermarket exhaust, giant aluminum wing on trunk lid (which is causing the trunk struts to fail and the trunk to leak, 'cause you didn't silicone around all those holes).
2) Honda Accord: see #1. Although if it's brand-new and driven by a [name of local high school redacted] senior, it'll be operated just as badly, if not more so.
3) BMW 3-Series: particularly if salvaged by refugee from former Soviet republic or Warsaw Pact country. If so, typically equipped with ugly-azz aftermarket taillights, cheap Chinese-made wheels (painted flat black with rattle cans and equipped with no-name tires), and limo-tinted windows.
4) Audi A4: see #3.
5) Mercedes-Benz E-Class: see #3.
6) Dodge Ram pickup: Odds go up if equipped with any of the following: lift kit, 20" wheels, multiple shocks per wheel, bed-mounted exhaust stacks. Tattoo required for purchase.
7) Saturn SC1: the first-gen 80s coupe and sedan. One of the favorites for those with suspended licenses and undocumented illegals.
8) Big Rig: once upon a time, some degree of competence and professionalism could be expected from commercial truck drivers. Those days, however, are long gone.
9) Honda CBR600RR: why every 19-year old wants one of these for his first bike is beyond me. My guess is 90% or more of these on the road have been dropped multiple times. Those riders that live presumably move on to other things.
10) Ford Explorer: mid-80s to mid-90s vintage, see #7. Newer versions, not nearly as much.
Harley-Davidsons: someday, every middle-aged man in the US will quit wanting to be Marlon Brando in The Wild One. Until then, the rest of us will continue to have our eardrums blown out (and our side mirrors taken off as they attempt to split lanes). And those stupid little helmets will continue to up the demand for reconstructive dentistry.
Subaru WRX: guess what, ace; you ain't Ken Block. And you sure as hell can't drive like him.
Scion tC: perhaps the most ironically named vehicle ever (that's what happens when your buyer demographic is 17-year old girls texting on their smartphones).
VW New Beetle: see above.