User Tag List

Page 4950 of 6772 FirstFirst ... 395044504850490049404948494949504951495249605000505054505950 ... LastLast
Results 49,491 to 49,500 of 67719

Thread: Random Thought Thread

across the universe Array Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

Asking someone why they are "so quiet" is a bit of a social gaffe. It's nonsensical whichever way you look at it.

If they're quiet because they're shy, you're just making it worse by making them feel bad about it. If they're quiet because they want to be, you're just making them feel misunderstood.

That is all.
    Likes ESFJ, BadOctopus liked this post

Suave y Fuerte Array BadOctopus's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan of Beans View Post
    Asking someone why they are "so quiet" is a bit of a social gaffe. It's nonsensical whichever way you look at it.

If they're quiet because they're shy, you're just making it worse by making them feel bad about it. If they're quiet because they want to be, you're just making them feel misunderstood.

That is all.
    I like to tell them, "I'm not quiet. I'm introspective."
    WOOP WOOP WOOP
    Likes Olm the Water King liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Youtube has several hours long videos with blowdryer or dishwasher sounds - because that can apparently help babies fall asleep.

Gotta love the internet!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes uumlau liked this post

Senior Member Array

That is all.
    I have come to believe the appropriate response to that question is "Why are you so loud?"

Although it's often for naught because loud people in my experience also tend to have a profound lack of self-awareness...
    Last edited by 93JC; 02-15-2015 at 02:27 PM. Reason: double-post, wtf

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Youtube has several hours long videos with blowdryer or dishwasher sounds - because that can apparently help babies fall asleep.

Gotta love the internet!
    White noise in general helps people sleep.

W/r to babies, I distinctively remember when I was younger that my hearing was extremely sharp, especially compared to what it is now after several decades and a few dozen ear infections. Every single creak, every single bug chirping, every single bird tweet, every single brush of a tree branch, I recall hearing distinctly. Very distracting. White noise fuzzes that all out, making it much easier to sleep.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

across the universe Array Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I have come to believe the appropriate response to that question is "Why are you so loud?"

Although it's often for naught because loud people in my experience also tend to have a profound lack of self-awareness...
    I don't think awareness has much to do with being quiet or loud. I wasn't referring to all loud people, just people who say that.

Also, I wouldn't say that because I have no problem with loud people. In fact, I'm usually attracted to talkative extraverts romantically.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    White noise in general helps people sleep.

W/r to babies, I distinctively remember when I was younger that my hearing was extremely sharp, especially compared to what it is now after several decades and a few dozen ear infections. Every single creak, every single bug chirping, every single bird tweet, every single brush of a tree branch, I recall hearing distinctly. Very distracting. White noise fuzzes that all out, making it much easier to sleep.
    In the case of babies some also try to imitate the sounds that can be heard inside the maternal body: blood rushing (close to the usual white noise tracks out there), digestive gurgling and a heartbeat:

Very soothing
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes Ivy liked this post

Senior Member Array

I don't think awareness has much to do with that. I wasn't referring to all loud people, just people who say that.
    And I wasn't referring to all loud people either, just those who ask that question. And I think awareness has a lot to do with it. As you said:

Asking why someone is quiet is obnoxious. It puts people on the spot for not having done anything wrong. It's one thing to ask someone you know well why they're quiet, perhaps because you know them well enough to sense that something is amiss, and another thing entirely to ask someone you don't know well, who happens to have not said much, why they are quiet. The latter is rude, the latter is asked out of a lack of empathy, of being incapable of comprehending why someone might keep to themselves or doesn't feel the need to interject. It comes from a belief that being outgoing is 'normal', and anything is else is 'abnormal'; it's like asking "Why are you so weird?"

So that's the whole point of asking "Why are you so loud?" in return. It's saying "I'm going to throw that question right back at you because it's rude."

I should have clarified when I said "it's often for naught because loud people in my experience also tend to have a profound lack of self-awareness". In that sentence I meant loud in the sense of physical loudness, of having their personal volume knob turned up to 11. Being physically loud and indignantly asking "Why are you so quiet?", of having that belief that being outgoing is normal, tend to go hand-in-hand in my experience.
    Last edited by 93JC; 02-15-2015 at 03:00 PM. Reason: another double-post...
    Likes Olm the Water King liked this post

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    though to be fair not really fair this is just an aside i usually put creamer in my cup first then coffee so i don't have to dirty a spoon. yesterday afternoon i forgot to put the creamer in and so it was only black coffee and I was like "somethings wrong with this coffee" then finally i realized it was because i didn't put creamer in.
    I will think "something's wrong with this coffee" if it contains anything except coffee. Unless it's cappuccino.

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    I like to tell them, "I'm not quiet. I'm introspective."
    How about: "You're making enough noise for both of us."
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere
    Likes BadOctopus liked this post

hey ma! got a tatoo Array prplchknz's Avatar
    MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I will think "something's wrong with this coffee" if it contains anything except coffee. Unless it's cappuccino.

well of course, but i meant i was scared to drink it because i was like what if it's bad? as in would make me sick or poison me
    by @magpie