User Tag List

Page 4946 of 6772 FirstFirst ... 394644464846489649364944494549464947494849564996504654465946 ... LastLast
Results 49,451 to 49,460 of 67711

Thread: Random Thought Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    @Lark, I didn't mean to imply he wrote it, but he did choose the script. And besides visuals and a couple of good horror like scenes, it was a mess. Maybe the key word is horror, Alien was a great horror story with a solid sci-fi theme, from a literary genre point of view.

Roy Batty may have been 'evil', but he represented a group of 'people' who could only find any kind of life for themselves by doing bad.
    The synthetics were the ultimate in entropes, they are prefect examples of Erich Fromm's life drives, or biophilious drives, obstructed and channelled into destructiveness.

Although PKD did write other books about genetic engineering which were not as pessimistic or bleak at all, for instance Flow My Tears, The Police Man Said, I dont know if it is the origin of people talking about individuals being eights or nines in terms of beauty but there are genetically engineered types whose perfection in appearence is engineered, a kind of celebrity class.

The book isnt about them really, its about a drug which changes reality instead of changes the body chemistry of the individual and their perception of reality, but the story is told from one of their perspectives. How PKD came up with the idea for that sort of thing I dont know and it was brilliant but reading it I made the connection to the humanoids in Blade Runner or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

@Lark Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep wasn't quite as conforming to your interpretation. I remember it strongly implying that the artificial was the new life and it had a real future ahead of itself, devoid of empathy or not.

PKD thought of such things because he was a paranoid schizophrenic hopped up on hallucinogens, a mentality uniquely suited to predict our technological future. He was also a humanist, and strangely hopeful in his own way, which is why I didn't commit suicide immediately after reading his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    @Lark Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep wasn't quite as conforming to your interpretation. I remember it strongly implying that the artificial was the new life and it had a real future ahead of itself, devoid of empathy or not.

PKD thought of such things because he was a paranoid schizophrenic hopped up on hallucinogens, a mentality uniquely suited to predict our technological future. He was also a humanist, and strangely hopeful in his own way, which is why I didn't commit suicide immediately after reading his stuff.

waiting for Winterman Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Playing God is fun!

I want a creature that's a cross between a kitten and a tortoise. Make it happen, science!
    Winterman is coming through the forest down to his Chrimbus cave inside the woods. Now's the time to tell him everything you want inside your Chrimbus bush!

good, hot, fresh, fly ~ Array laterlazer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

I think Grant Gustin is like 80% the reason I still watch The Flash. Too much cutie pie.

Quote Originally Posted by laterlazer View Post
    I think Grant Gustin is like 80% the reason I still watch The Flash. Too much cutie pie.
    He was 100% of the reasons I considered watching the series. But Google showed me more than the series ever will. So fuck it.
    Likes laterlazer liked this post

Retired Member Array
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Likes ESFJ, 93JC, laterlazer liked this post

Suave y Fuerte Array BadOctopus's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Does anyone else have that one friend who thinks he or she has to comment on every single one of your Facebook updates?
    WOOP WOOP WOOP

The Green Jolly Robin H. Array GarrotTheThief's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Cool

'm like Benjamin, Benjamin Franklin to be exact, except instead of fanning my corpulent, aged body in the nude under a cool breeze as I laboriously and studiously take notes on randomly drawn chapters from a shelf of books, I come on to typoc and post on the random thread my creative sentiments which no one cares about...

booo hoooo

woe is me
    (jumps off cliff and screams phoenix)

Hello my baby hello my sweety hello my sweety pie! (cane and tap dance)
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Does anyone else have that one friend who thinks he or she has to comment on every single one of your Facebook updates?
    Not me.

Maybe you aren't obnoxious enough to them. Are you sure you're an INTJ?
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.