User Tag List

Page 4858 of 6777 FirstFirst ... 385843584758480848484856485748584859486048684908495853585858 ... LastLast
Results 48,571 to 48,580 of 67767

Thread: Random Thought Thread

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ni

I don't think Sherlock Holmes, portrayed in the series Sherlock, is a high functioning sociopath.
    We're a lukewarm people for all our feast days and hard work.
    Not much touches us, but we long to be touched. We lie awake
    at night willing the darkness to part and show us a vision. Our
    children frighten us in their intimacy, but we make sure they
    grow up like us. Lukewarm like us

Suave y Fuerte Array BadOctopus's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
    I don't think Sherlock Holmes, portrayed in the series Sherlock, is a high functioning sociopath.
    Me, neither. He just tells everyone he is, to justify the fact that he's an asshat.

(I love that show, though.)
    WOOP WOOP WOOP
    Likes uumlau, Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Me, neither. He just tells everyone he is, to justify the fact that he's an asshat.

(I love that show, though.)
    He's an asshat, but he's a brilliant asshat, I'd give a lot to have the observatory and deductive abilities that he possesses. But yeah, turns out that there's already been a psychologist who doesn't think so either... Some people think he has Asperger's, and I'll admit that he does show many of the traits.

http://www.themarysue.com/sherlock-holmes-sociopath/

And yes the show is brilliant! Only just started getting into it, love it so far.
    We're a lukewarm people for all our feast days and hard work.
    Not much touches us, but we long to be touched. We lie awake
    at night willing the darkness to part and show us a vision. Our
    children frighten us in their intimacy, but we make sure they
    grow up like us. Lukewarm like us

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

@Obsidius Oh, I envy you! I wish I could watch the series again for the first time. Usually I'm a purist when it comes to Sherlock Holmes; I hated the vacuous, over-the-top Robert Downey Jr. movies, although I like him as an actor. I've also never seen a film version of The Hound of the Baskervilles that I thought did justice to the book. But despite its modern setting, BBC's Sherlock has done a fantastic job of recreating the spirit of the original stories.

It should also be said that the Holmes from the stories is not as big a jerk as Cumberbatch's Sherlock. As eccentric as he is, I think deep down, he's still the quintessential Victorian gentleman.
    Likes Ivy liked this post

good, hot, fresh, fly ~ Array laterlazer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

Is there a reason I leave all my revision for the last minute?

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    @Obsidius Oh, I envy you! I wish I could watch the series again for the first time. Usually I'm a purist when it comes to Sherlock Holmes; I hated the vacuous, over-the-top Robert Downey Jr. movies, although I like him as an actor. I've also never seen a film version of The Hound of the Baskervilles that I thought did justice to the book. But despite its modern setting, BBC's Sherlock has done a fantastic job of recreating the spirit of the original stories.

It should also be said that the Holmes from the stories is not as big a jerk as Cumberbatch's Sherlock. As eccentric as he is, I think deep down, he's still the quintessential Victorian gentleman.
    I liked the Hammer Horror adaptation with Vincent Price in it.

There was a black and white TV series with Basil Rathbone which I thought was the best screen adaptation of the character. I've had that chat with a lot of serious Scherlockian fans though. Of the latest incarnation I thinks inevitable that changes are made to make it appealing to a contemporary audience, the suggestions of a ersatz homosexual relationship for instance, I think that's a shame that the writers felt that was necessary, although I also think its been a shame that successive Dr Who's have had to have some sort of romantic bond to their companions when that wasnt ever a feature of the classic Doctors.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Shining light into an open sky. Feeling alone.
    Likes Obsidius liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H. Array GarrotTheThief's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Julius Caesar - only dude who was stabbed in the back by all his best friends in the same room on the same day.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There was a black and white TV series with Basil Rathbone which I thought was the best screen adaptation of the character.
    I do like Basil Rathbone's Holmes. More than any other actor to play Holmes, he looked and sounded almost exactly like my own mental version of the character.

Nigel Bruce's Watson, however, is awful. He portrayed him as a bumbling moron. Not that it was Bruce's fault. It's just easier to make Holmes look brilliant, when everyone around him is an idiot.

That's another reason why I like the BBC series. Martin Freeman's Watson is competent, down-to-earth, and dependable. (Not to mention adorable.) Even Lestrade is portrayed in a positive light... for the most part.
    WOOP WOOP WOOP
    Likes Ivy liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H. Array GarrotTheThief's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I can't bring myself to be a fan of anything except that which promotes the physical and mental well being of the many. @Hive
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.