User Tag List

Page 4844 of 6782 FirstFirst ... 384443444744479448344842484348444845484648544894494453445844 ... LastLast
Results 48,431 to 48,440 of 67815

Thread: Random Thought Thread

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    I always thought Neil deGrasse was a total moron but now that I've read Neil deGrasse Tyson Selects the Eight Books Every Intelligent Person on the Planet Should Read | Brain Pickings I'm absolutely certain that he is and I no longer need seek evidence to prove otherwise.
    His booklist was good, but the reasoning behind each choice was surprisingly closed-minded, pessimistic, and sad.
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Bus drivers are strictly forbidden to stop the bus and let people in or out between official stops. Yet today when I was waving at one to signal him to please wait for me for a few additional seconds at the next stop which was still some 20m or so away because I was carrying groceries and couldn't possibly run with my enormous and clearly visible belly the driver stopped immediately, let me in, then continued for a few meters and stopped again at the official stop.

Kind of strengthened my faith in humanity.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes Ivy, 93JC, EJCC liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H. Array GarrotTheThief's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    His booklist was good, but the reasoning behind each choice was surprisingly closed-minded, pessimistic, and sad.
    Yeah, that's what I meant. His book list wasn't so much the issue as his pessimism. Plus, if someone recommends reading the Art of War and doesn't mention the Dao, I tend to lose respect for them as well.

Thanks!
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Bus drivers are strictly forbidden to stop the bus and let people in or out between official stops. Yet today when I was waving at one to signal him to please wait for me for a few additional seconds at the next stop which was still some 20m or so away because I was carrying groceries and couldn't possibly run with my enormous and clearly visible belly the driver stopped immediately, let me in, then continued for a few meters and stopped again at the official stop.

Kind of strengthened my faith in humanity.
    I've thrown snowballs, banged on the the side of the bus; I've done lots of things to get the attention of a driver and have him let me on. Only once had it ever worked, and even then the driver said "You're lucky I let you on."

It was in heavy traffic; the bus hadn't moved a millimetre for a minute or two, and I knocked on the door. As I dropped my fare in the fare box I muttered, "You'd have been a huge asshole if you didn't let me on."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I've thrown snowballs, banged on the the side of the bus; I've done lots of things to get the attention of a driver and have him let me on. Only once had it ever worked, and even then the driver said "You're lucky I let you on."

It was in heavy traffic; the bus hadn't moved a millimetre for a minute or two, and I knocked on the door. As I dropped my fare in the fare box I muttered, "You'd have been a huge asshole if you didn't let me on."
    Have you tried looking so pregnant it's impossible to ignore (I'm talking 4 days away from the due date)?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes Ivy liked this post

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I think his comments were supposed to be witty, but I found a few of them to be a bit mean-spirited rather than amusingly sardonic. Also, the barbs were pretty low-hanging fruit; a guy of his intelligence should have been able to step things up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    3 years later & after watching the end of the Thing (1982) again.. I can gladly say that Childs was also the thing.
    I didn't really get that the first time out, but apparently Carpenter said you can't see his breath. Hence, he isn't breathing. Durrrr.... I think some of the effects are dated nowadays, but the whole aspect of social paranoia and group dynamics with an internal threat is fascinating.

I also ran into a short story from The Thing's POV that was kind of cool; it gets a little long, but the ideas themselves are pretty good.

Clarkesworld Magazine - Science Fiction & Fantasy : The Things by Peter Watts
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes GarrotTheThief, EJCC liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H. Array GarrotTheThief's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think his comments were supposed to be witty, but I found a few of them to be a bit mean-spirited rather than amusingly sardonic. Also, the barbs were pretty low-hanging fruit; a guy of his intelligence should have been able to step things up a bit.

I didn't really get that the first time out, but apparently Carpenter said you can't see his breath. Hence, he isn't breathing. Durrrr.... I think some of the effects are dated nowadays, but the whole aspect of social paranoia and group dynamics with an internal threat is fascinating.

I also ran into a short story from The Thing's POV that was kind of cool; it gets a little long, but the ideas themselves are pretty good.

Clarkesworld Magazine - Science Fiction & Fantasy : The Things by Peter Watts

Plus, I believe, that he is reckless in suggesting some books without going deeper in to their nature. For example, Machiavelli is often treated as a lighthearted read but I sense that for some people it amplifies intense power struggles in their personal lives and does harm if not read with a book in conjunction that is of the opposite nature.

Just my opinion though.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    Plus, I believe, that he is reckless in suggesting some books without going deeper in to their nature. For example, Machiavelli is often treated as a lighthearted read but I sense that for some people it amplifies intense power struggles in their personal lives and does harm if not read with a book in conjunction that is of the opposite nature. Just my opinion though.
    Beside that, one common assessment of the text is that it was actually meant to be satire. That can be debated, of course; but it kind of de-fangs his zinger.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

good, hot, fresh, fly ~ Array laterlazer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

Watching Revenge, uggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    No more, enough with all the people now planning revenge since Emily's journey is over ENOUGH
    This witch Victoria needs to die, Margaux needs to take a hike, Ben needs to find his chill, Jack needs a break, Nolan needs to attract people who arent traitors or psychos, and Emily needs to be happy ugh
    *rant rant rant*

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Sixty degrees on Sunday.
    Snow is on the calendar for tomorrow.

I !@#!*@&# hate winter.