User Tag List

Page 4815 of 6766 FirstFirst ... 381543154715476548054813481448154816481748254865491553155815 ... LastLast
Results 48,141 to 48,150 of 67656

Thread: Random Thought Thread

  1. #48141
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    I'm a bit baffled as to how the first stone tools came before homo erectus or homo sapiens evolved? huh? Who made them then (earliest human ancestor?)
    The genus is older than H. erectus. Homo habilis used stone tools; in fact the species was named "habilis" (Latin for "skillful") precisely because stone tools were commonly found in the vicinity of their fossils.

    Stone tools may date as far back as the time of Australopithecus afarensis, but anthropologists aren't entirely sure. At least this was still the case when I took anthropology in university.
    Likes Dr Mobius, chubber liked this post

  2. #48142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woaden View Post
    The first person that comes to mind when I read what's in this link: @Nicodemus
    That's how it is supposed to be.

    #2 and #3 are pretty bad literal translations. #6 could be better as well.

  3. #48143
    시간을 멈출래 영원히 Array Kierva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    2,348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    That's how it is supposed to be.

    #2 and #3 are pretty bad literal translations. #6 could be better as well.
    So what should it be?

  4. #48144
    Superwoman Array Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woaden View Post
    So what should it be?
    #2 is correctly translated but incorrectly explained. It does not mean that people who tell the truth are hard to find - it simply means what it says an is a phrase used when somebody drunk (or a child) says soething true but socially awkward.

    #3 is more or less correctly explained but incorrectly translated. It translates more like "you are massively walking/stepping on my cookie" not "you walk me animally on the cookie" ("tierisch" means massively, enormously and literally translates as animally, thus) and translates as "you are getting in my nerves"

    #6 is actually a bit shorter and more elegant: "lid closed, monkey dead" - i.e. "that's the end of that" ("and Bob's your uncle")
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  5. #48145
    시간을 멈출래 영원히 Array Kierva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    2,348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    #2 is correctly translated but incorrectly explained. It does not mean that people who tell the truth are hard to find - it simply means what it says an is a phrase used when somebody drunk (or a child) says soething true but socially awkward.

    #3 is more or less correctly explained but incorrectly translated. It translates more like "you are walking on my cookie" not "you walk me animally on the cookie" and translates as "you are getting in my nerves"

    #6 is actually a bit shorter and more elegant: "lid closed, monkey dead" - i.e. "that's the end of that" ("and Bob's your uncle")
    /thank

  6. #48146
    Biting Shards Array Dr Mobius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    STYX
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    699

    Default

    Everytime I see Jim Harper (Newsroom) make that squinty face he uses to display all his man child emotions. I have the overwhelming urge to punch him in the face. On the other hand I'm going to miss Newsroom, it was interesting, and Sloan Sabbith was hilarious.
    Even when the sun is shining, I can't avoid the lightning Oh, where did the blue skies go? And why is it raining so?

  7. #48147
    Peace on Earth, dammit Array Thalassa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,275

    Default

    O Nabokov, o Nabokov!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mobius View Post
    Everytime I see Jim Harper (Newsroom) make that squinty face he uses to display all his man child emotions. I have the overwhelming urge to punch him in the face. On the other hand I'm going to miss Newsroom, it was interesting, and Sloan Sabbith was hilarious.
    I feel like that when I see Keira Knightley make duck face. But I actually adore the most recent Anna Karenina.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

    "In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2-3


    Fasting for Advent



    SEE-Fi /Gamma

  8. #48148

    Default

    Does anyone know if it's possible to download another audio track for a series or... am I required to suffer through these subtitles?

  9. #48149
    A GOD Array Mace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Feeling...


  10. #48150
    Senior Member Array Opal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deceptive View Post
    Does anyone know if it's possible to download another audio track for a series or... am I required to suffer through these subtitles?
    Anything is possible

Similar Threads

  1. [SJ] SJ Random Thought Thread
    By Giggly in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 622
    Last Post: 10-28-2016, 07:32 PM
  2. [NT] Random thought thread (NT version)
    By yenom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 10-22-2016, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO